Sign in to follow this  
Michaelk

20 years recognition

Having completed 20 years membership of Club Voyage I was naturally pleased to be greeted at check-in with a little folder, badge and car sticker to denote my "loyalty".  Both the card and check-in staff said that I would have a nice gift at reception. ( Given that seem to recall talking to a couple a while ago that they got a case of wine, was quite keen to see what happened.)

A couple of free drinks and a visit to the ship's bridge was all there was.  The latter in the dark, early morning, with no explanation of what was happening and asked not to stand where I could actually see the docking process.

All in all, pretty disappointed considering probably spent up to £40K over the years.  I suggest that BF either makes it something worthwhile or best not to do it at all.

With the greatest of respect, I think this is down to expectations.Lets face it, although BF has, through Club Voyage, had our loyalty and money through the years, we have had much more than our membership value back in discounted fares.I think what you describe is a nice gesture of thanks, after all, that is what it is meant to be, a gesture, not a prize.

John

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Michaelk said:

Having completed 20 years membership of Club Voyage I was naturally pleased to be greeted at check-in with a little folder, badge and car sticker to denote my "loyalty".  Both the card and check-in staff said that I would have a nice gift at reception. ( Given that seem to recall talking to a couple a while ago that they got a case of wine, was quite keen to see what happened.)

A couple of free drinks and a visit to the ship's bridge was all there was.  The latter in the dark, early morning, with no explanation of what was happening and asked not to stand where I could actually see the docking process.

All in all, pretty disappointed considering probably spent up to £40K over the years.  I suggest that BF either makes it something worthwhile or best not to do it at all.

Arguably, whether or not you are a fan of ships or not, experiencing a bridge visit to watch the ship berthing is an experience which money cannot buy.

The darkness was presumably down to the time the ship arrives, and your location was for safety reasons... Perhaps if you were not interested, you could have politely declined?

• Like 5

I can`t get my head round someone rather having a case of,probably cheap,wine rather than the experience he did have.........many years ago, thanks to a crew connection, I got to the bridge of the Pride of Bruges for departure from Zeebrugge. That memory has lingered a lot longer than a case of wine would.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wortley said:

Ooh, after 20 years as a passenger GWR might invite me to sit by the train driver !  

Given the size of the cabs you'd be on his/her lap. So choose your driver carefully. Ed. 

3 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Arguably, whether or not you are a fan of ships or not, experiencing a bridge visit to watch the ship berthing is an experience which money cannot buy.

The darkness was presumably down to the time the ship arrives, and your location was for safety reasons... Perhaps if you were not interested, you could have politely declined?

I've been a member since 1995 and yet to receive anything - rant over!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nottingham said:

I've been a member since 1995 and yet to receive anything - rant over!

I thought that BF treated every member the same? I have seen other people wearing those badges, and talking about visits...
Have you been a member continuously? I would question it!! :)

5 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I thought that BF treated every member the same? I have seen other people wearing those badges, and talking about visits...

Unless I’ve misinterpreted, I think Nottingham’s point was that it is not a big deal. 😉

28 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Yes, bar a 6 month spell in hospital - I renewed when recovered and they 'backdated' the renewal date from the May when I renewed to November the year before (the original renewal date) hence avoiding a second joining fee suspect this is where its gone awry - a bridge visit would be something I could live without, a drinks or meal voucher would be great, but I would not be so rude as to 'demand' a loyalty gift

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Yes, bar a 6 month spell in hospital - I renewed when recovered and they 'backdated' the renewal date from the May when I renewed to November the year before (the original renewal date) hence avoiding a second joining fee suspect this is where its gone awry - a bridge visit would be something I could live without, a drinks or meal voucher would be great, but I would not be so rude as to 'demand' a loyalty gift

Understood. (unless you are with Sky. They seem to treat you worse the longer you are with them) !

I’m not sure quite what you mean there Solo, but if you’re referring to the initial sign-up fee in year one that’s pretty standard practise for a lot of clubs. I’m a member of Langstone Sailing Club on Hayling Island (almost) where the initial one-off fée of £125 is added to a similar amount as a yearly subscription. So new members pay £250 in year one, half that amount subsequently. 

Returning to the question of a loyalty gift I think the offer of a 60 hour weekend trip on Pont-Aven to St-Malo out of season for a car and 2 would be a nice touch. To include a decent cabin with buffet dinner in the restaurant (drinks extra) on the outward leg, a bridge visit and breakfast on the return. It wouldn’t cost the company a huge amount but would generate considerably more goodwill than Michaelk considers he’s getting.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I’m not sure quite what you mean there Solo, but if you’re referring to the initial sign-up fee in year one that’s pretty standard practise for a lot of clubs. I’m a member of Langstone Sailing Club on Hayling Island (almost) where the initial one-off fée of £125 is added to a similar amount as a yearly subscription. So new members pay £250 in year one, half that amount subsequently. 

Returning to the question of a loyalty gift I think the offer of a 60 hour weekend trip on Pont-Aven to St-Malo out of season for a car and 2 would be a nice touch. To include a decent cabin with buffet dinner in the restaurant (drinks extra) on the outward leg, a bridge visit and breakfast on the return. It wouldn’t cost the company a huge amount but would generate considerably more goodwill than Michaelk considers he’s getting.

Chris

I was thinking in the context of what hf-uk said, Sky, insurance companies etc treat you worse the longer you,re with them.

Perhaps BF should send us into Red Bus to pick up our goodwill gift.

Are you around on Saturday? We might call in.

Thanks for the replies - interesting to see the differing views which all make valid points.  I would just comment - my expectations were raised by the mention of a "nice gift", so would not have expected much otherwise.  Re the bridge - it would have been interesting but being totally dark both inside and outside there was virtually nothing to see.  In addition no-one was there to explain what was happening.  Yes, I was keen to visit it and could not have known this in advance so was not in a position to politely decline.

With a career in marketing and PR have seen the negative effect of poorly planned and directed campaigns where it would have been better to do nothing. I do however have the car sticker and lapel badge, so will be curious to see if they have any effect!.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solo said:

I was thinking in the context of what hf-uk said, Sky, insurance companies etc treat you worse the longer you,re with them.

Perhaps BF should send us into Red Bus to pick up our goodwill gift.

Are you around on Saturday? We might call in.

I’ll be there Solo, I can then let you know about our imminent plans for Cherbourg ...🤫

Maybe you could don the Pierre the Bear outfit so I recognise you...😂

Chris

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I’ll be there Solo, I can then let you know about our imminent plans for Cherbourg ...🤫

Chris

I wonder if Pierre is being re-branded Chris?! :)

56 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Chris

Okay Chris, will probably call in the afternoon, have to do Morlaix market in the morning.

• Like 1

Loyalty schemes are very popular over here, but most of them are simply used as a marketing exercise.

However, our local winery operates one whereby when you clock up €100’s worth (never takes long for us!) you get a ‘free’ bottle. That for me is always a bottle of their excellent CdR which retails at €5.50.  

42 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Loyalty schemes are very popular over here, but most of them are simply used as a marketing exercise.

However, our local winery operates one whereby when you clock up €100’s worth (never takes long for us!) you get a ‘free’ bottle. That for me is always a bottle of their excellent CdR which retails at €5.50.  

I've had a similar experience from a certain wine and beer retailer (he who must not be named? 😉) . Had a couple of bottles thrown in with a big order, at first I thought it was a lovely gesture, but probably just a couple of the cheap ones (and I apologise!). How wrong I was -  a lovely Cotes Du Rhone from a serious appellation and a Muscadet I'm very much looking forward to trying (I've yet to be disappointed by one, so it's a safe bet!)