Sign in to follow this  
straightfeed

Driving in France and Spain

4 hours ago, jonno said:

We visited a motorhome dealer around Winchester last week and they're already using the revised number plate on their new registrations.

Clearly operated by an ardent Brexshiteer but it is not finished till the fat lady sings. I have got my little stickers but will hold out till the instructions comes from the Guarda Civil that they will be taking action on this!

Edited by JohnMustow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

Clearly operated by an ardent Brexshiteer but it is not finished till the fat lady sings. I have got my little stickers but will hold out till the instructions comes from the Guarda Civil that they will be taking action on this!

No, they're a nationwide dealer owned by the French and are biggest manufacturer in Europe.

5 hours ago, G4rth said:

Presumably if there is a transition period the new number plates will be illegal and a sticker with GB and the EU stars will be required over the GB and Union flag on the new plates.

Again no, the new plates have the GB on the plate, only none recognised plates require a vehicle to display a sticker.

I've been surprised how many cars do not have the EU symbol on their number plates, many of them pre-dating the referendum.

12 minutes ago, BBCone said:

I've been surprised how many cars do not have the EU symbol on their number plates, many of them pre-dating the referendum.

We bought a new car in December and it never had one , I’ve never owned a car that’s had one.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but did anyone else notice that on today's A New Life in the Sun (Channel 4), they had the Pont Aven sailing to Santander from Southampton, and the voice-over said it three times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I’m more bothered with idp and insurance than number plates and how to carry spare bulbs with led headlights.

I wouldn't worry. IDP's are simple enough, even simpler now... 5 mins at the PO and there have been many instances when the Spanish Policia Urbana have insisted on them anyway or face a fine regardless so it's always been prudent to have one or the other knocking around. I'd get both now before the rush starts.

Insurance Green Cards... again I don't know what the big deal is,  ask for one if you need to and you'll be issued with one or be able to use the new online PDF service and print it yourself?

LED bulbs? I get mine easy enough for the rear and I've got those weird adaptive HID zenon bendy ones on the front that move around like the space ship from close encounters when I turn the ignition on. There's a handy travel mode too so they face the opposite way when across the channel... I just need to remember to switch them back again. I'd check the marque's enthusiast sites for links, I save over £70 each for my HID's complete with the D1S base. The dealer want's over £100 each for them and it's only a Skoda!

35 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

We bought a new car in December and it never had one , I’ve never owned a car that’s had one.

I put these on the back, looks a bit nicer than a sticker.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUMEX-LOG1525-Emblem-GB-Chromed/dp/B001JY8Y7W/ref=sr_1_29?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1551806449&sr=1-29&keywords=gb+stickers+for+car

Edited by jonno
  • Like 1

Note to self always read the manual 

“Driving abroad
The light beam of the dipped beam lights is asymmetric: the side of the road on which you are driving is lit more intensely.
When a car that is manufactured in a country that drives on the right travels to a country that drives on the left (or vice versa), it is normally
necessary to cover part of the headlight bulbs with stickers or to change the adjustment of the headlights to avoid dazzling other drivers.

In such cases, the regulations specify certain light values that must be complied with for designated points of the light distribution.
This is known as “Tourist light”. The light distribution that the halogen and full-LED headlights of the SEAT Leon range
have allows the specific “tourist light” values to be met without the need for stickers or changes in the settings.”

Got a magnetic GB sticker and 

Scottish Gifts - Scottish Car Sticker - ECOSSE - Thistle - UK Gifts https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005AT7KQ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EuRFCb47T22BK

Edited by neilcvx

20 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Note to self always read the manual 

“Driving abroad
The light beam of the dipped beam lights is asymmetric: the side of the road on which you are driving is lit more intensely.
When a car that is manufactured in a country that drives on the right travels to a country that drives on the left (or vice versa), it is normally
necessary to cover part of the headlight bulbs with stickers or to change the adjustment of the headlights to avoid dazzling other drivers.

In such cases, the regulations specify certain light values that must be complied with for designated points of the light distribution.
This is known as “Tourist light”. The light distribution that the halogen and full-LED headlights of the SEAT Leon range
have allows the specific “tourist light” values to be met without the need for stickers or changes in the settings.”

Got a magnetic GB sticker and 

Scottish Gifts - Scottish Car Sticker - ECOSSE - Thistle - UK Gifts https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005AT7KQ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EuRFCb47T22BK

Mines got a Welsh badge on the back... Lived in Wales until 2015.

The SEAT tourist light is different as it remains fixed, the only way to change them fully is through the VCDS and 9/10 needs a dealer. The ones on Skoda's fully adaptive type physically shift the beam from left to right and is available in the MFD menu. The difference is that the beam remains fixed in the "Euro" mode rather than follow the curve of the bend, the cornering fogs kick in earlier to compensate.

It's a bit like the heated windscreen, on the SEATS you have to go into the infotainment system, on the Skoda's there's a button next to the climate control with a similar icon to the rear & window demist.

Right I'm shutting up now, it's turning into a VAG forum.

26 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Where Jonno?

Stu

There's an online platform for insurers and agents which has been in the BETA stage since Sept' 18.

The plan is to allow insurance companies to issue a PDF to customers in a similar way to how you get your documents online, whether it'll be ready for April hasn't been said. I know last year they were concentrating on the larger insurance groups who already have Green Card codes and weren't excepting applications from new agents, it's why the likes of Aviva have brought some of their more obscure providers inhouse rather than seeing them being delayed in receiving a separate member code.

The long term plan is to issue them as standard when you renew your policy as part of your emailed policy document package although there is no maximum length as to how long they're valid. The MiB are also trialling a fully digitised service but the PDF will go live far sooner.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Where Jonno?

Stu

Just to add, Aviva, LV= have begun issuing green cards to those travelling post March 31st.

Noted but I'm not intending to take my car over anytime soon although i do have  couple of weeks hire booked in Greece in June and September so might need an IDP.

I know a lot of you have driven in France recently. If this has been asked before forgive me. The more I read about brexit the more confused I get. I have read that I may need to exchange my UK driving license for an EU one, is this true ? also talk about an IDP to allow me to drive there ... I'll be back in July, obviously post brexit and want some clarification as to what i'll need. I have been loads of times before and am familiar with all the other requirements and extras, it's really just the license and the permit issue .... cheers guys.

It all depends on the outcome of the next meaningful vote...and the one after that... and the one after that ... There will in the end be a deal, or a transition period, or a pause for reflection...I think ..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Geezer said:

I know a lot of you have driven in France recently. If this has been asked before forgive me. The more I read about brexit the more confused I get. I have read that I may need to exchange my UK driving license for an EU one, is this true ? also talk about an IDP to allow me to drive there ... I'll be back in July, obviously post brexit and want some clarification as to what i'll need. I have been loads of times before and am familiar with all the other requirements and extras, it's really just the license and the permit issue .... cheers guys.

The latest `What you need` is detailed below and was updated as recently as yesterday..

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit

This however could and more than likely will change between now and Easter...but this is how it stands today 😂

It’s all still up in the air you may or may not need an idp to drive in France (and a different one for Spain) , you may encounter massive hassles if you’re involved in an accident or things may stay the same who knows?

I've been driving too and from Spain and France for twenty years and must say I have never placed stickers over my lights - but I did carry a set. Having said that I have seen more foreign registered vehicles being driven at night with only one front light or sometimes no lights working at all. Also I have only been stopped once by the Spanish police who were not familiar with the "three Legs Symbol"  on my number plates rather than a blue EU circle... I will definitely obtain a IDP and green card Insurance after 29 March 2019 regardless of outcome....

Buy something if you don’t need it? Why? I’m sure I will only be buying one if I need it or if this drags out so long that I might need it halfway through my holidays.

For what it costs get the IDP for France to save any hassle, I've not done it yet but will before the summer, it's just crazy that you need a different one for Spain.

• Like 1

You will also need a Crit'Air Certificate.  It only costs a few Euros and you'll avoid the possibility of a fine.  There's also an app which will tell you when the zones are enforced.

Info here: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/

Avoid Scam sites by going to the official one: https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solo said:

For what it costs get the IDP for France to save any hassle, I've not done it yet but will before the summer, it's just crazy that you need a different one for Spain.

Not sure that you need a different one for Spain. I remember having a IDP which covered a number of countries in Europe. For what it costs its a no brainer and will avoid any possible hassels particularly by the French Police who will jump on anything - I still carry breathalisers even though there is nothing certain with the law....

4 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

Not sure that you need a different one for Spain. I remember having a IDP which covered a number of countries in Europe. For what it costs its a no brainer and will avoid any possible hassels particularly by the French Police who will jump on anything - I still carry breathalisers even though there is nothing certain with the law....

DC2B6F8B-F1B8-438F-80F5-ADD45A3E1866.jpeg.4bd6977d8ae2508f23dc5db4882c408b.jpeg

6 hours ago, neilcvx said:

DC2B6F8B-F1B8-438F-80F5-ADD45A3E1866.jpeg.4bd6977d8ae2508f23dc5db4882c408b.jpeg

SORRY NEIL - YOU KNOW WHATS COMING - WE ARE NOT IN THE UK (AND YES WE HAVE OUR OWN GOVERNMENT AND LAWS!) AND I AM RELIABLY INFORMED THAT ONE IDP ISSUED BY OUR POST OFFICE COVERS ALL COUNTRIES - SORRY.....

1 hour ago, Manxscorpio said:

SORRY NEIL - YOU KNOW WHATS COMING - WE ARE NOT IN THE UK (AND YES WE HAVE OUR OWN GOVERNMENT AND LAWS!) AND I AM RELIABLY INFORMED THAT ONE IDP ISSUED BY OUR POST OFFICE COVERS ALL COUNTRIES - SORRY.....

No need to shout , I’m sure @Solo doesn’t live in the IOM as I’m sure most forum members don’t so it’s best to keep the subject relevant.