Sign in to follow this  
straightfeed

Driving in France and Spain

3 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

No need to shout , I’m sure @Solo doesn’t live in the IOM as I’m sure most forum members don’t so it’s best to keep the subject relevant.

Not shouting ? Sorry - but just using same format as that published by your goodself. Well as you know I use BF so driving in UK, Ireland and other European Countries is relevant to me as with many other non UK BF members holding non UK driving licences. I hope other members find this educational and enlightening.  🚗

16 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Not shouting ? Sorry - but just using same format as that published by your goodself. Well as you know I use BF so driving in UK, Ireland and other European Countries is relevant to me as with many other non UK BF members holding non UK driving licences. I hope other members find this educational and enlightening.  🚗

I posted a photo from the UK Gov website it wasn’t in any format , the forum is supposed to be a polite friendly place there’s no need for shouting. 

I'll not shout but I think Scorpio should check again with the post office, every other source says it's a different IDP for France and Spain.

As an aside is the Isle of Man in the EU if it's not part of the UK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 05/03/2019 at 17:08, BBCone said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but did anyone else notice that on today's A New Life in the Sun (Channel 4), they had the Pont Aven sailing to Santander from Southampton, and the voice-over said it three times.

And a shot of Bretagne apparently going to Spain.

31 minutes ago, Solo said:

I'll not shout but I think Scorpio should check again with the post office, every other source says it's a different IDP for France and Spain.

As an aside is the Isle of Man in the EU if it's not part of the UK.

I hope this link helps answer your questions. The IOM has a very limited legal relationship with the EU - I think I have previously provided information on this in another topic - Protocol 3 applies therefore UK legislation (and the UK Post Office) is not relative to the IOM legislation or IOM Post Office.

https://www.gov.im/media/624101/protocol3relationshipwiththeeu.pdf

53 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

I hope this link helps answer your questions. The IOM has a very limited legal relationship with the EU - I think I have previously provided information on this in another topic - Protocol 3 applies therefore UK legislation (and the UK Post Office) is not relative to the IOM legislation or IOM Post Office.

https://www.gov.im/media/624101/protocol3relationshipwiththeeu.pdf

I don't know if that helps or not, how to you manage travelling in the EU, it says you're not allowed free movement, is it the same as the UK or do you need extra paperwork.

Back to the IDP it's nothing to do with which post office they only issue them, if France and Spain want different ones that goes for everyone.

Yippee! At great inconvenience to me I have a "Green card" ( a flimsy bit of paper actually). Plus the IDP, I feel I'm ready for the Continent.

I just hope the lovely lady doesn't let me down and secure an agreement with that EU lot. Never felt so secure as the day I got my yellow vests, alcohol testers, warning triangle, GB plate, beam benders and spare bulbs.

Now for a great season. 

Stu

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Slightly off topic but have you checked your car insurance cover / green card. My insurance states (the minimum legal requirements for EU countries) I assume this means third party only. We have been quoted an  extra £28.00 for our March cover for 3 weeks in Spain in April and a bit more for September. Not complaining  about the cost but worry how many years we have been driving in Spain & France assuming full cover. Has anybody had any problem? Brexit has made us check.   

Not complaining  about the cost but worry how many years we have been driving in Spain & France assuming full cover. Has anybody had any problem? Brexit has made us check.

This has been an issue for years. Like all things, with insurance you get what you pay for (if you are lucky) and some while back a number of companies reduced premiums by reducing continental cover to third party only and people who didn't check the small print have been caught out when an accident occurred.

4 hours ago, Solo said:

I don't know if that helps or not, how to you manage travelling in the EU, it says you're not allowed free movement, is it the same as the UK or do you need extra paperwork.

Back to the IDP it's nothing to do with which post office they only issue them, if France and Spain want different ones that goes for everyone.

I think you are slightly confused here. No its not the same as the uk - eg. we don't have the EHIC cards for health - we have to have private health Insurance when travelling through Europe (except the UK) where we have a reciprocal agreement -ie if a UK tourist falls ill in IOM or if an IOM resident falls ill in UK the same benefits exist. Our driving Licences are different - an our IDP is accepted throughout Europe - Its nothing to do with UK.

Thanks Scorpio, so you gain on some things, universal IDP but lose out on others such as health care.

10 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

It's a strange one @Manxscorpio as the I.O.M issued yours for three years costing £24, that's now needed to be reviewed as the U.K. gvt informed them that this was in breach of the Geneva Convention as they're only supposed to be valid for 12 months so your post offices have been excepting returns for refunds.

Do you know which way they'll go now as the equivalent of £8 a year for a combined 1949 & 1968 is over £3 cheaper than the £5.50 separate ones needed over here?

It's different again in the C.I's. IDP's cost £10 each in Jersey and are issued by the Parish Halls and in Guernsey they're £13 and only available from the licensing office in St Sampson. As as yourself, they're only valid for Island registered licenses.

It's a valid point you've raised as I think we all tend to forget that you're all self governing non EU members and in many ways there are differing criteria which must be met.

It would be of interest to get @Nick Hyde view on this?

5 hours ago, IanN said:

Slightly off topic but have you checked your car insurance cover / green card. My insurance states (the minimum legal requirements for EU countries) I assume this means third party only. We have been quoted an  extra £28.00 for our March cover for 3 weeks in Spain in April and a bit more for September. Not complaining  about the cost but worry how many years we have been driving in Spain & France assuming full cover. Has anybody had any problem? Brexit has made us check.   

From late 2017 all U.K fully comprehensive policies give the same level of cover in all EU member states, there's no longer an extra premium to be paid. It was a reciprocal law passed post the referendum and also included full EU use of our motor vehicle databases and ANPR recognition, the days of not being caught on a European speed camera are over. Hard Brexit or not this won't change.

There's a 2018 thread on here discussing it.

8 hours ago, Solo said:

It's because a few member states only recognise one of the conventions, Cyprus & Malta are others and have always had a grey technical legal requirement to have one, they'll do you for it if you break other driving laws but don't if you're just routinely stopped... it's a bit like the unenforced self breathalyser law in France... If you're a Brit driving like a numpty they'll do you for not having them as well otherwise routinely they won't bother.

8 hours ago, jonno said:

It's because a few member states only recognise one of the conventions, Cyprus & Malta are others and have always had a grey technical legal requirement to have one, they'll do you for it if you break other driving laws but don't if you're just routinely stopped... it's a bit like the unenforced self breathalyser law in France... If you're a Brit driving like a numpty they'll do you for not having them as well otherwise routinely they won't bother.

I think you have it there Jonno, if you drive like a numpty the Police will look at you a lot closer.

As a slight aside, word on the street here says that the department in Nantes dealing with issuing French licences to replace UK ones, is sending applications back to people as they cannot cope.... Some suggestion that French Government will announce a period of grace or such like.

Thanks Colin. That doesn't surprise me. I was planning to hold off sending mine until the day before BREXIT kicks in (if it ever does) and have got my IDPs sorted out to cover me for a year in the meantime (expect the Malta/ Cyprus one, but the liklihood of going there is slim). Ed. 

6 hours ago, colin said:

As a slight aside, word on the street here says that the department in Nantes dealing with issuing French licences to replace UK ones, is sending applications back to people as they cannot cope.... Some suggestion that French Government will announce a period of grace or such like.

The business of exchanging a UK licence for a French one has been a disaster for the last 18 months.  It was centralised to Nantes (from individual departements) in Sept 2017 - I was ‘lucky’, mine was exchanged after a wait of just five months, probably because by chance it must have been one of the first to be dealt with at the new Centre.  They currently admit to a delay of seven months, although I’ve heard of worse!

They’re now saying that they will return exchange applications unless the UK licence has actually become expired, been lost, or become invalid in some way.  This means that UK nationals resident in France who have hitherto prudently applied for an exchange prior to the expiry of their licence, are stymied !  Brexit is being cited as the reason, but this is almost certainly a red herring.

As to the question of documentation over here, I have real doubts as to whether the average gendarme is likely to ask for an IDP post end-March, whatever the outcome of the next week or so.  A police officer (in any country) will have 4 things that he / she is interested in:

• A valid driving licence
  • Evidence of insurance, i.e. a green card
  • Roadworthiness of the vehicle (which would amount to tyre state & general ‘condition’)
  • Registration document (V5 or V103)

I accept entirely that an IDP is being flagged up as a requirement (and its therefore sensible to get one), but what does it convey that a licence doesn’t?  Furthermore, is your average gendarme going to know that it should be a 1949 one as opposed to a 1965 one (or whatever the dates were!) ?   The eyes are going to glaze over ..............

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jonno said:

It's a strange one @Manxscorpio as the I.O.M issued yours for three years costing £24, that's now needed to be reviewed as the U.K. gvt informed them that this was in breach of the Geneva Convention as they're only supposed to be valid for 12 months so your post offices have been excepting returns for refunds.

Do you know which way they'll go now as the equivalent of £8 a year for a combined 1949 & 1968 is over £3 cheaper than the £5.50 separate ones needed over here?

It's different again in the C.I's. IDP's cost £10 each in Jersey and are issued by the Parish Halls and in Guernsey they're £13 and only available from the licensing office in St Sampson. As as yourself, they're only valid for Island registered licenses.

It's a valid point you've raised as I think we all tend to forget that you're all self governing non EU members and in many ways there are differing criteria which must be met.

It would be of interest to get @Nick Hyde view on this?

Strange one this. IDP for Manx driving licence holders are now for one year only as we have both mentioned. I am not sure whether refunds are given but a one year IDP is now £11. Strange that the application form still asks the applicant whether it is a one year or three year permit and still also quotes £24 for the 3 year one although no longer issued. The IOM advises Manx residents to always obtain an IDP for driving outside the IOM and UK as many countries do not recognise an Isle of Man driving licence. 

My post office doesn’t do IDPs so it will be a long drive to the nearest one that does all for someone may not need.

Up until early February they were only available at a limited number of Post Offices (Southampton, Basingstoke and Guildford for the whole of Hampshire and Surrey for example). I believe they have now rolled it out to over 2,000 branches. I picked up my 1968 IDP two weeks ago at the Regent Street branch in Central London and had to explain to the very nice, but clearly untrained, woman behind the counter how to fill it in for me. It took about 10 minutes but she's probably got that down to about 5 by now. Ed. 

On 07/03/2019 at 23:17, jonno said:

From late 2017 all U.K fully comprehensive policies give the same level of cover in all EU member states, there's no longer an extra premium to be paid. It was a reciprocal law passed post the referendum

That's strange as my Aviva policy breakdown on total cost shows an extra amount for "foreign use". Checked on phoning them and its the added premium for having fully comp abroad. So, I assume its an added extension that one could delete if not required or have I been duped into paying for something that was included anyway(as above).

Also Aviva use 2 terms for driving abroad.- "Continental cover" and "Foreign use". Clear as mud!

Stu

It is confusing but 'same level of cover in all EU member states' refers to standardised third party insurance. Previously different states had different third party regulations.

I think most, if not all UK insurers now include third party European cover automatically but if you are fully comp in the UK then you may have to pay an additional premium to have fully comp in Europe. My insurer LV= has for the last couple of years included fully comp European cover on my policy but not all insurers do so. (particularly those who give cheaper quotes)

Many people have been caight out in the past by not realising that their UK fully comp drops to 3rd party only when they get on the ferry and this is often still the case. It pays to read the small print and to do a bit of homework. Not just for European cover but other bebefits as well such as replacement vehicles, legal costs etc.

I think there is a difference between Continental cover and Foreign cover as the harmonised regulations in the EU obviously won't apply outside that area. Your own policy should state which 'Continental' as opposed to EU countries you are covered for. Norway is similar to the EU but Russia and Turkey are not for example.

• Thanks 1