Sign in to follow this  
straightfeed

Driving in France and Spain

Does anyone know which version of the IDP French (and other European) people will need to drive in the UK after 29 March? I ask as to the best of my knowledge (but perhaps Colin has heard differently) there has been nothing in the French press to warn them to get such a document. Surely they will need it if we do. What I don't quite understand is why if two countries operate on the same version they simply don't cancel each other out. I don't think there is any traceability at the post office of the IDP being issued to a particular driver so do the government know I have one? The woman did type something into the computer but I think it was just a transaction code to process the paperwork and charge me. And I can't see it being a massive money spinner for the exchequer either as once they've printed the documents, bought a lifetime supply of Prittstick and spent ten minutes per IDP the profit must be minimal. In the time it took the last in London to issue mine a sizable, tutting, queue had built up behind me and she'd have made far more money dealing with them and their parcels than me.

Just as an aside, I wonder whether there is in fact a mistake on mine. In the front it says: Valid until 02 July 2022. That is the date my current driving licence expires when I thought the permit was only valid for a year. Who know what happens if I'm checked. Ed. 

Who know what happens if I'm checked. Ed. 

You will be hauled out of your car, put up against the nearest wall and shot! 👮‍♂️

Seriously, I doubt if anybody on this side of La Manche has even begun to think about something like that. Just one of millions of administrative loose ends that people will only find out about if they interact with something going wrong.

At the moment one assimes that an IDP is not required from the advice given here:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

On 08/03/2019 at 16:33, Gardian said:

The business of exchanging a UK licence for a French one has been a disaster for the last 18 months.  It was centralised to Nantes (from individual departements) in Sept 2017 - I was ‘lucky’, mine was exchanged after a wait of just five months, probably because by chance it must have been one of the first to be dealt with at the new Centre.  They currently admit to a delay of seven months, although I’ve heard of worse!

They’re now saying that they will return exchange applications unless the UK licence has actually become expired, been lost, or become invalid in some way.  This means that UK nationals resident in France who have hitherto prudently applied for an exchange prior to the expiry of their licence, are stymied !  Brexit is being cited as the reason, but this is almost certainly a red herring.

As to the question of documentation over here, I have real doubts as to whether the average gendarme is likely to ask for an IDP post end-March, whatever the outcome of the next week or so.  A police officer (in any country) will have 4 things that he / she is interested in:

• A valid driving licence
  • Evidence of insurance, i.e. a green card
  • Roadworthiness of the vehicle (which would amount to tyre state & general ‘condition’)
  • Registration document (V5 or V103)

I accept entirely that an IDP is being flagged up as a requirement (and its therefore sensible to get one), but what does it convey that a licence doesn’t?  Furthermore, is your average gendarme going to know that it should be a 1949 one as opposed to a 1965 one (or whatever the dates were!) ?   The eyes are going to glaze over ..............

Indeed, just received our applications back. In the event of a no deal Brexit, the French government will take steps to allow UK licences held by French residents to remain valid "for a period". Thanks guys. Will every EU country do the same? If not, we will be holding you responsible for your inefficiency!

Edited by colin
  • Like 1

Why blame the EU countries - it is the UK that is causing all the problems. I imagine they are all heartily fed up with us. They have more important things on their collective plates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colin said:

Indeed, just received our applications back. In the event of a no deal Brexit, the French government will take steps to allow UK licences held by French residents to remain valid "for a period". Thanks guys. Will every EU country do the same? If not, we will be holding you responsible for your inefficiency!

Your UK  license will be valid in Ireland , so that's one less for country for you to be upset with .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Your UK  license will be valid in Ireland , so that's one less for country for you to be upset with .

One country I don’t go to.

The Government Website is the most reliable source of information on all aspects of travel to the EU in the event of a "no deal".  This link points to an "index" of various topics including, driving, pets, health care, insurance and so on, which are dealt with in greater detail.  You can sign up for updates on your "favourite" topics.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/important-eu-exit-information-for-uk-nationals-if-theres-no-deal#paying-for-healthcare-in-eu-countries

On 09/03/2019 at 16:59, colin said:

UK should apply same principal for all EU countries licences after Brexit.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ccs147 said:

Exactly - I always thought the rule was simply if you spend more than six months in a different EU country to your own countries licence then you must exchange it? So on the same principal any French, German, Italian, Dutch, Spanish etc..  drivers holding licences other than UK Licence should also be banned from driving in UK

That’s incorrect as regards UK licence holders driving in France.

Up until now, there was no requirement to exchange to a French licence until the UK licence became expired.

Of course, all this may well change after Brexit.  Furthermore, I can’t speak authoritatively as regards other countries.

18 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Up until now, there was no requirement to exchange to a French licence until the UK licence became expired.

Of course, all this may well change after Brexit.  Furthermore, I can’t speak authoritatively as regards other countries.

as a tourist spending less than six months in Spain my car registration and licence are fine - although I was informed by the Spanish local police that I should change my vehicle registration every time I enter Spain - and then change it back again in my home country - obviously fake information !!!

Prior to the UK joining the EEC if you wanted to take a vehicle to Europe you had to obtain a Carte Carnet. Is that, under a no deal situation, going to be a requirement again

Edited by G4rth

A really zealous gendarme will also have noticed that after Brexit the GB sign in the circle of stars on rear number plates will no longer serve as the required nationality indicator. The latest UK govt advice is that you must have the old-fashioned white disc as well. 

Good news for Halfords at least.

1 hour ago, Gardian said:

Yes and you can drive indefinitely in France if you're from a fellow member state... Is there no change if say a VLS TS becomes defunct as you'd hopefully have French citizenship by then?

37 minutes ago, G4rth said:

Prior to the UK joining the EEC if you wanted to take a vehicle to Europe you had to obtain a Carte Carnet. Is that, under a no deal situation, going to be a requirement again

Was a international Driving Permit required as well. I Don't know anything about a Carte Carnet G4rth, what were they?

8 minutes ago, jonno said:

Was a international Driving Permit required as well. I Don't know anything about a Carte Carnet G4rth, what were they?

Yes it was required in addition to an IDP. It was an indemnity document for making a temporary import of a vehicle. If you failed to return your vehicle back to your own country then import duty was payable. If a vehicle was written off in an accident abroad you had to return the wreckage to the UK to avoid a large bill.

• Thanks 1

We went "nuclear" with the licence office in Nantes, drawing their attention to their legal obligation to exchange our licences, and they are now being produced!

15 hours ago, G4rth said:

Yes it was required in addition to an IDP. It was an indemnity document for making a temporary import of a vehicle. If you failed to return your vehicle back to your own country then import duty was payable. If a vehicle was written off in an accident abroad you had to return the wreckage to the UK to avoid a large bill.

Was this import duty VAT?? I know I imported a car from USA to France and upon arrival French VAT was charged based on the French valuation of the vehicle which was actually higher than the real cost of the vehicle. 

2 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

Was this import duty VAT?? I know I imported a car from USA to France and upon arrival French VAT was charged based on the French valuation of the vehicle which was actually higher than the real cost of the vehicle. 

In theory there will always be VAT due on an import from outside the EU, and an import duty depending on the trade deal between the third country and the EU. That rate varies by product too.

18 hours ago, G4rth said:

Happy Birthday G4rth!

A propos of nothing at all, I was stopped this evening, for the very first time (had the house here for 27 years), for a random document check.

Two very pleasant gendarmes. Big feeling of satisfaction when the driving license, and the leasing company certificates were accepted after intense scrutiny, and a zero reading on the breathalyser. What it is to be a law abiding citizen. . .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Happy Birthday G4rth!

Thanks Gareth. To be honest I'm of an age where I still remember having then but have long given up on counting them.🙄

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

This explains the Carnet purpose. They predated UK VAT and were issued by the AA. If the current version will be required then I can see it having a dramatic effect on BF if the prices quoted are imposed on UK travelers to the EU. The UK Gov site mentions "other documents" that may be required without being specific.

https://www.carseurope.net/carnet-de-passage-en-douanes-cpd/