Sign in to follow this  
straightfeed

Driving in France and Spain

2 hours ago, rogerpatenall said:

A propos of nothing at all, I was stopped this evening, for the very first time (had the house here for 27 years), for a random document check.

Two very pleasant gendarmes. Big feeling of satisfaction when the driving license, and the leasing company certificates were accepted after intense scrutiny, and a zero reading on the breathalyser. What it is to be a law abiding citizen. . .

Yes, resident over here for 15 years and had my 1st ‘controle’ very close to home at 10.30 in the morning (on the way to the tip).

It was no problem & I’d wish that they did it more often.  There are more than a few vehicules around here with the ass hanging out of them.  French MOT?   Bureaucracy to be avoided as far as they’re concerned.

• Haha 1

Here's how it was before the EEC (1968). Of course you also had exchange controls so the ferry companies went into great details about how to conserve your foreign currency - with packed lunches, vouchers to spend on board and camping equipment hire. And the free market hadn't really hit the ferry business so Townsend were part of a fare-fixing cartel back then.

img594townsend68_goabroad.jpgimg596townsend68_goabroad.jpg

img595townsend68_goabroad.jpg

You need to go back a bit further to find reference to carnets de passage and tryptiques. It looks like this stuff was abolished in the early 1960s so here the BR car ferry guide of 1958 gives exhaustive details of everything you need to consider. Just reading this is giving me a headache so I'd probably have just taken the train/ship connection instead, no doubt to BR's ultimate satisfaction.

img597brconti58.jpg  img598brconti58.jpg

img599brconti58.jpg  img601brconti58.jpg

img602brconti58.jpg  img603brconti58.jpg

Edited by hhvferry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

Here's how it was before the EEC (1968). Of course you also had exchange controls so the ferry companies went into great details about how to conserve your foreign currency - with packed lunches, vouchers to spend on board and camping equipment hire. And the free market hadn't really hit the ferry business so Townsend were part of a fare-fixing cartel back then.

img594townsend68_goabroad.jpgimg596townsend68_goabroad.jpg

img595townsend68_goabroad.jpg

You need to go back a bit further to find reference to carnets de passage and tryptiques. It looks like this stuff was abolished in the early 1960s so here the BR car ferry guide of 1958 gives exhaustive details of everything you need to consider. Just reading this is giving me a headache so I'd probably have just taken the train/ship connection instead, no doubt to BR's ultimate satisfaction.

img597brconti58.jpg  img598brconti58.jpg

img599brconti58.jpg  img601brconti58.jpg

img602brconti58.jpg  img603brconti58.jpg

Thanks for that hhvferry. I raised the question as I had friend who worked at the AA in the 60's in the Carnet dept. I never used the system so I'm not entirely sure how it worked or the cost. Triangular bread rolls. 

Edited by G4rth

There is also the small problem of 2nd home owners doing a bit of DIY on their French cottages. I often see cars and vans at Plymouth docks loaded up with tools, ladders, cement mixers and such. Outside a Customs Union they will all need a Carnet listing everything obtained, at a price, from the London Chamber of Commerce. That applies to any and all equipment taken in and out.

We just went and obtained our IDP’s from the post office in Petersfield, where we are staying overnight before crossing tomorrow. 

We were surprised to be told if we were travelling to Spain then the IDP required is a different document to the one for France.

That would make it very difficult in the event of Brexit if you got on a Ferry to Spain and ended up in Brest, as has happened in the past...

2 minutes ago, alleeganger10 said:

We just went and obtained our IDP’s from the post office in Petersfield, where we are staying overnight before crossing tomorrow. 

We were surprised to be told if we were travelling to Spain then the IDP required is a different document to the one for France.

That would make it very difficult in the event of Brexit if you got on a Ferry to Spain and ended up in Brest, as has happened in the past...

Yes a complete and utter farce ,and you might not even need them for a couple of months yet anyway , but that’s where we are as a nation.

1 hour ago, alleeganger10 said:

These are requirements laid down by France and Spain as they both ratified different agreements in the past. However, fret not, Spain have said regardless of what happens, they are going to recognize the status quo for driving documents of UK drivers until 2021, making the IDP for Spain unnecessary at this time........although that could change

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Yes a complete and utter farce ,and you might not even need them for a couple of months yet anyway , but that’s where we are as a nation.

I agree, the Post office desk staff seemed to be convinced that Brexit date has already been extended! Back in day, when such people were “civil servants” and not employees of a PLC. I’m sure they would have been better “Officially” informed.

We could be halfway to France before we know if we do or don’t need IDP’s, and as we plan to stay till late November, we could not risk it any longer.

• Like 1

Good news that Petersfield PO is now issuing them. I got mine done in Guildford and London Picadilly at the start of the year just in case. This means I can renew them if needed at Christmas without having to go anywhere further afield. I'm off to Mallorca tomorrow and will take mine with me just in case but I sincerely doubt it will be necessary. I have also got my DVLA check document printed for the car rental agency. Ed. 

I have also got my DVLA check document printed for the car rental agency.

Has anyone any experience of this being asked for? I've never had a request, the car hire firms just want the money.

4 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Has anyone any experience of this being asked for? I've never had a request, the car hire firms just want the money.

You won`t get asked..Car hire desk clerks cannot be expected to know the ins and outs of so many driving systems in Europe alone, never mind the rest of the world. Uk is one of the few places where the driver is insured as opposed to the car, which then becomes any driver with a licence. This is not permitted in the UK because of greedy rip off Insurance Companies. 

As long as your credit card works you`re good to go. 

As long as your credit card works you`re good to go.

I always get a discount for cash in Greece! Twice a year usually. I use local car hire firms rather than the rip off majors.

Different countries different rules.

15 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

I rented a van in the U.K. recently and it was a must. More important that my licence which is of the green variety! At least the IDP has a picture.

The credit card was important too!.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'm off to Mallorca tomorrow and will take mine with me just in case but I sincerely doubt it will be necessary. 

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1