Sign in to follow this  
Le Quiberon

U.S.O report - (Unidentified Sailing Object.)

I was supposed to make a post about this a coule of months ago and entirely forgot so thought I would post now as it is something that I have been thinking about revently.                                           Back in Early January I was making an outward sailing to Ijmuiden on the King Seaways and late in the night I noticed a light, what looked like a ship, moving at a rate of knots across the sea from the starboard side of the vessel (between ourselves and the east coast.) It was travelling southwards in the same direction as us but totally outpaced us - it certainly was going faster than any normal vessel and even faster than a cat or hydrofoil at full speed - nevertheless there are none covering that area anyway. I would say it cleared my line of vision in a coulple of minutes. My only explanation would have been a cat but as I said none traverse that area - anyone got a ideas? It was the night of Friday 4th January. Many thanks!

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

A low-flying SAR helicopter? Ed. 

That could have been a possibility but it must have been flying very low and at some speed. Also there was no flashing lights - just one stable light.

How far out of Newcastle were you? Had you got down as far as Whitby? And what was the date of your trip? Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

One white all round light would suggest a small motor driven vessel. By small, I don't mean dinghy size. There are some pretty big RIBs around these days that can average 50 knots easily on flat water.

That's what I was thinking. Perhaps the Whitby inshore lifeboat. If we know the date it might tally with one of the callouts listed on this site:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://rnli.org/find-my-nearest/lifeboat-stations/whitby-lifeboat-station&ved=2ahUKEwj3s8fgw5HhAhWMDWMBHa8MC8MQFjAMegQICBAC&usg=AOvVaw2nCT2-ZgDR17OKK6iAHUDm

Ed

I'd suggest that it was the RNLI too.  From the Tyne to Southwold ( where DFDS stay close to shore), including around 6 RIB's there must be nearly 20 of them. Trent's, Severn's, Tamar's and the new Shannon's.

6 hours ago, colin said:

One white all round light would suggest a small motor driven vessel. By small, I don't mean dinghy size. There are some pretty big RIBs around these days that can average 50 knots easily on flat water.

I clearly remember it being a stable red light, like the other vessels out at sea.....the speed was quite something. To think it cleared my panoramic line of vision within a couple of minutes was quite something!

If you were off the Humber Estuary then it might have been a pilot vessel, one of the RNLI Ribs, another high-speed craft from a different agency or perhaps even a vehicle driving down the road to the end of Spurn Point with only one tail-light working, which would certainly explain the speed. Ed

Two men wearing black suits will be arriving at you home shortly , just answer their questions and when they put on their sunglasses they will ask you to  focus on a shiney  flashing pen  thing . You will then remember nothing of the incident , you saw nothing , it never happened .

• Like 1

A single red light is strange, if you continued to see it when the vessel was well past you. The arc of the red, port side navigation light is 135 degrees if my memory serves. Once past that point, it should become a white stern light. Red would figure if the vessel was running south, inshore of your track.

I’m slightly confused about the colour of this light.  Originally it was white and now it seems to have become red?

If it was travelling that fast it might have red shifted...

I believe that only boats under 7m and travelling at up to 7knots can only show an all round white light when moving. Could it have been a drone?

Edited by cvabishop

The tip of Spurn Point is where Humber RNLI station is there's also the RIB's at Withernsea & Cleethorpes. They all have a white light on a mast above the wheelhouse/cockpit. It's more noticeable on the standard & Atlantic Severns, Humber has a standard Severn.

It'a busy year for them as all of the Mersey's & Severn's are being replaced with the new Shannon so there's a good chance they'll be seen bombing around at all hours as crews become acclimatised to them.

If on a call an all weather lifeboat is travelling twice as fast as a DFDS ferry plodding along at 12/13kts.

6 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Could have been the rnli. Boats queuing for immingham and possibly the cats that go out to the windfarms?

Do cats go out to the windfarms?

21 minutes ago, Le Quiberon said:

Not to Dudgeon in the North Sea, ESVAGT don't use them but some of their transfer vessels are very quick and could easily be mistaken for a lifeboat in poor light, their rescue RIB's are no different to the RNLI's.

3 hours ago, jonno said:

their rescue RIB's

Zoom in with Google maps on the outer breakwater at Bridlington Harbour and you'll see a couple of Ribs/fast-craft which could be contenders for the mystery light. Ed

5 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

The area around the Humber is swarming with Windcats based out of Grimsby but your description of the light would not match the lights they are required to show.