Sign in to follow this  
jonno

Club Voyage members

I suppose just like many other forum members, a two minute tick box questionnaire arrived in my inbox today. It would appear that BF are looking into giving Club Voyage members the opportunity to pre book the restaurant prior to sailing. Basically BF want to know what percentage of the meal price you're prepared to pay upfront, if a preferred time option is attractive and also the ability to cancel without penalty.

23 hours ago, jonno said:

I suppose just like many other forum members, a two minute tick box questionnaire arrived in my inbox today. It would appear that BF are looking into giving Club Voyage members the opportunity to pre book the restaurant prior to sailing. Basically BF want to know what percentage of the meal price you're prepared to pay upfront, if a preferred time option is attractive and also the ability to cancel without penalty.

Been getting these prior to sailing for some years now

6 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Been getting these prior to sailing for some years now

About restaurant bookings?

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

About restaurant bookings?

Yes - on our Spanish bookings - we have been asked whether we wish to book a table in the restaurant - which we have done on occasion although on one occasion despite booking we found the restaurant had no reservation details for us.... they fitted us in anyway....

This was a general survey  about restaurant bookings not an email to book a table.

Edited by neilcvx

Jonno said...…….. " It would appear that BF are looking into giving Club Voyage members the opportunity to pre book the restaurant prior to sailing"...….hence this is something we have been familiar with over the years...…...

The survey was obviously about the possibility of extending the service to all bookings that offer the restaurant service not about an existing service on Spain sailings.

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

The survey was obviously about the possibility of extending the service to all bookings that offer the restaurant service not about an existing service on Spain sailings.

Yes... of course it was....

Can't see the point.  Aside from not getting a window seat I've never had a problem getting a booking in the restaurant on Bretagne or Pont Avon 

I like the idea of being able to guarantee a table but in reality it has rarely been an issue.

We have also liked being able to decide what time we want to turn up at the restaurant when we arrive on the ship, not several days or weeks before.

Of course if they offered an extra discount if we prepaid a  deposit and committed to a time we might well want to go with that.

You have to ask.....

Rhys

• Like 1

I'm a wimp. I wouldn't pre book because if it turns out that the sea is choppy I don't go to the restaurant. 

• Like 2

I have often seen quite a queue on Pont Aven. I guess the idea in it's most simple form is to let you avoid the queueing the minute you get onboard so you know you can go straight to your cabin and chill, and you have a guarenteed slot later on. Just one less hassle?

• Like 2

On the St Malo route the restaurant is often heaving on departure from Pompey, with a waiting list for a second sitting.

8 hours ago, colin said:

On the St Malo route the restaurant is often heaving on departure from Pompey, with a waiting list for a second sitting.

It's just about the only civilised evening departure time on the network so I'm not surprised. Ed. 

The only other (to France, that is) is Pont Aven’s seasonal Thursday evening departure from Plymouth to Roscoff.

Just now, Gareth said:

The only other (to France, that is) is Pont Aven’s seasonal Thursday evening departure from Plymouth to Roscoff.

Plus her Friday evening crossing to Cork and the return on Saturday. But I suspect few people book them over the alternatives (Armorique every day and Connemara once a week) just to get the restaurant option. Ed. 

On the contrary, the Thursday sailing from Plymouth is popular for exactly that reason.  Many customers will purposely choose that sailing over the others available in order to enjoy the restaurant, and BF even offers it in one of their offers as a “gourmet cruise”.

• Like 1

OK, but it's hardly practical for people heading off on holiday for a Saturday to Saturday rental. But I suppose if you are going to your own property then it might be a solution. Ed. 

I book the early sailings (Portsmouth to St Malo) to get a longer, more relaxing night on board and better value for the money spent on a cabin. As such the presence of a restaurant is a bonus but I can't imagine I'd take that crossing if I was just looking for a choice of good food at a reasonable price. There are plenty of very decent places to eat in and around Portsmouth before the late night crossing to Ouistreham (and I assume Plymouth too), covering every cuisine type known to humanity, and French food with 'juliennes of x' and 'creme de y' would not be at the top of my list. But perhaps as Cabin-girl serves up such delicacies every day over here (it was in the pre-nup!), I'm spoilt. 😉 Ed. 

• Like 1

One of the big pluses is that feeling that you are in France the moment you step on board, and, for very many people, les Abers is an integral part of that.

Edited by colin
  • Like 5