BAI4

BF Confirms Fourth New Ferry (Third E-Flexer)

Wow - impressive news.  Three e-flexers on dedicated Spanish service.  Is this the solution to releasing Pont Aven for St Malo, or is this an indication that Cork-Santander is going to become a full BF cruise service? (Or both?).

15 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Wow - impressive news.  Three e-flexers on dedicated Spanish service.  Is this the solution to releasing Pont Aven for St Malo, or is this an indication that Cork-Santander is going to become a full BF cruise service? (Or both?).

Yes, interestingly there was no mention of Portsmouth in the article so it could well be that she does Cork to Spain. Jonno last week said that the plan was for CF to be LNG-powered in the future. That would require her to visit Spain too for refuelling which then means there would be four ships on the Biscay routes. They clearly see a big growth in demand. Ed. 

16 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Got this reply from Chris Jones to a cheeky name suggestion 

OK, so if it's not Spain either and the original press release states 'long'-haul routes' then it has to be Portsmouth to St Malo or Roscoff/St. Malo/Le Havre to Cork. Nothing else qualifies in my mind and that therefore means another port needs to be equipped to dispense LNG. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

My guestimation? The Pont Aven will move to Cork-Santander-Roscoff as IF no longer have a cruise ferry serving the extreme southern ports of Ireland.

The three E-Flexers will be more than enough for Spain... 3600 berths & 9300 lane metres compared to 7482 lane metres & 3800 berths they have today.

If BF are to give CF hybrid propulsion as they've recently said, I wouldn't be surprised to see her replace Normandie. She's ten years younger and is configured more realistically for Le Havre in terms of berths and will increase freight back to what the 'Tat & BDS offer.

All we need now is for BF to announce which yard will build Bretagne II, as it won't be PA on the St Malo route, she'd simply be a large waste of space.

Reading the presser it would appear that BF's fleet renewal investment has increased by a further €100m.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

OK, so if it's not Spain either and the original press release states 'long'-haul routes' then it has to be Portsmouth to St Malo or Roscoff/St. Malo/Le Havre to Cork. Nothing else qualifies in my mind and that therefore means another port needs to be equipped to dispense LNG. Ed. 

It is Spain, the only other port BF serve that they'll fit into is Cherbourg.

• Like 1

It’s certainly good to see money invested in the fleet regardless of where 3 goes, BF obviously have an idea where but either aren’t 100% sure or aren’t saying for business reasons.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

OK, Cherbourg to Cork. I left it off my previous list as IF and Stena already offer crossings from there. Ed. 😀 

They're too long for Cork Ed... How about Portsmouth - Gijon... to stop Balearia having ideas and giving UK holidaymakers a faster route into Portugal?

Being LNG powered I'm willing to bet really good money she'll sail to either Bilbao or Gijon.

3 minutes ago, jonno said:

They're too long for Cork Ed... How about Portsmouth - Gijon... to stop Balearia having ideas and giving UK holidaymakers a faster route into Portugal?

Being LNG powered I'm willing to bet really good money she'll sail to either Bilbao or Gijon.

Are they too long for Rosslare? Ed. 

A few months ago, I think it was in October 2018, I read in the French maritime newspaper Le Marin that Brittany Ferries had launched studies and surveys to make Cherbourg their freight hub towards Ireland. 

Maybe this fourth E-Flexer has something to do with this ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CH1 said:

A few months ago, I think it was in October 2018, I read in the French maritime newspaper Le Marin that Brittany Ferries had launched studies and surveys to make Cherbourg their freight hub towards Ireland. 

Maybe this fourth E-Flexer has something to do with this ... 

The fact that the press release says 'long haul routes' does seem to imply UK-Spain or Ireland-France/ Spain...but no doubt we will find out. It still seems unclear where this leaves replacement of the Bretagne.

• Like 1

Certainly interesting times ahead with four new vessels, just a shame three are sisters though lol (can never satisfy everyone 9_9). Will be intersting to see where she will deploy - I can't believe that BF don't know where she is going though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Are they too long for Rosslare? Ed. 

Berth 1 would take an E-Flexer, max length on that one is 215m, I think it's around 225 overall... possibly Stena are thinking of replacing Horizon with No 8, the last of the 214m variant?

Again that scenario is now a little more realistic now Oscar Wilde is being moved on. I've been told that the 240m versions are destined for the Baltic.

I was also told that the first two BF E-Flexers were put back 12 months due to berth improvements needed at Portsmouth, another dolphin is required on berth 3, and the relocation of the terminal in Santander which is due to begin early next year and finish by 2022.

BF are particularly cosy with Stena, I doubt they'd do anything to jeopardise the relationship by attempting to compete for business at Rosslare or Cherbourg. With the guaranteed income generated by the charters and eventual sales, I wouldn't be surprised if Stena think the same regarding the western channel.

They're looking after each other.

• Like 1

Couple of things about this.  They are obviously impressed with what they have seen of the first e-flexers.  Have Stena offered them that good a deal that they went for it despite the currant uncertainty, perhaps they think by the time they arrive things will have settled down.

Edited by Solo

At the risk of sounding a tiny bit negative....  I hope they don't end up with a fleet of e-flexers. I understand they are an extremely attractive option what with their timing, versatility and availability, but part of BF's charm is the individuality of each vessel.

Look at the current Spanish offerings: Pont Aven, Cap Finistere, Baie de Seine, Etretat (and Pelican)., and until recent years Bretagne in the mix sometimes also. An incredible array of vessels, each offering different character and charm. Although it would standardise the experience which is good in a way, I do hope the interiors retain a sense of individuality, and not just in decor but also in layout...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

At the risk of sounding a tiny bit negative....  I hope they don't end up with a fleet of e-flexers. I understand they are an extremely attractive option what with their timing, versatility and availability, but part of BF's charm is the individuality of each vessel.

Look at the current Spanish offerings: Pont Aven, Cap Finistere, Baie de Seine, Etretat, Connemara, (Pelican kinda), and until recent years Bretagne in the mix sometimes as well. An incredible array of vessels, each offering different features, character and charm...

Although it would standardise the experience which is good in a way, I do hope the e-flexer interiors retain a sense of individuality, and not just in decor but also in layout...

54 minutes ago, jonno said:

Berth 1 would take an E-Flexer, max length on that one is 215m, I think it's around 225 overall... possibly Stena are thinking of replacing Horizon with No 8, the last of the 214m variant?

Again that scenario is now a little more realistic now Oscar Wilde is being moved on. I've been told that the 240m versions are destined for the Baltic.

I was also told that the first two BF E-Flexers were put back 12 months due to berth improvements needed at Portsmouth, another dolphin is required on berth 3, and the relocation of the terminal in Santander which is due to begin early next year and finish by 2022.

BF are particularly cosy with Stena, I doubt they'd do anything to jeopardise the relationship by attempting to compete for business at Rosslare or Cherbourg. With the guaranteed income generated by the charters and eventual sales, I wouldn't be surprised if Stena think the same regarding the western channel.

If they are that cosy, and not interested in pinching each other's business, then perhaps they should offer a sort of code-share on their Ireland crossings like BF did with Condor a few years ago. That could allow people to do more flexible self-drive tours in Ireland and have a larger choice of crossings and ports to choose from. Ed. 

1 hour ago, jonno said:

I agree and it looks like this is Stena's way of getting some Western Channel action without the bother of investing in vessels, ports & sailors etc.

And if the Spanish routes continue to expand I could even envisage a joint venture between the two companies in the future.

3 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Look at the current Spanish offerings: Pont Aven, Cap Finistere, Baie de Seine, Etretat (and Pelican)., and until recent years Bretagne in the mix sometimes also. An incredible array of vessels, each offering different character and charm. Although it would standardise the experience which is good in a way, I do hope the interiors retain a sense of individuality, and not just in decor but also in layout...

I think the fully loaded BF built ships are all very similar, more so now that the livery has been standardised. The character and individualism comes from the decor and artwork. BF have never had ships with a Spanish theme so they'll be more individual from the current fleet of French registered vessels.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

It is also what I think. BF leave the IRL-FR corridor free and Stena do not touch to western and central Channel. 

But I am still curious about BF surveys for Cherbourg freight hub for Ireland. The most logical explanation is yours, Jonno. I guess time will give us the answer. 

28 minutes ago, jonno said:

I think the fully loaded BF built ships are all very similar, more so now that the livery has been standardised. The character and individualism comes from the decor and artwork. BF have never had ships with a Spanish theme so they'll be more individual from the current fleet of French registered vessels.

That's a fair point Jonno, but do you not think that a big part of the experience and character comes from the differing physical aspect of the ships? The size, speed, layout, position of restaurant, shops etc... ?