BAI4

BF Confirms Fourth New Ferry (Third E-Flexer)

9 hours ago, jonno said:

She can carry a maximum of 78 overall per day.

Sorry Jonno my post was badly worded. I presumed the 26 HGV’s was after space had been allocated to private cars.

Interestingly BF have just posted on their Spanish Instagram page that the ship will link Great Britain and Spain.

they are just levelling the main birth that takes the cruise ships in Portsmouth and there are plans for a longer birth 6. Was told about this at a meeting last year. The levelling of the current birth has been announced as part of further improvements at Portsmouth could this also be to support the e-flexors 

15 hours ago, MichaelBF said:

Cap Finistere just about fits in Plymouth - so perhaps Plym-Ros for some sailings maybe to help out Armorique. 

Yep, If the Pont Aven moved across full time to Cork, the Cap could take over a Plymouth-Santander-Roscoff rotation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gareth said:

I would be astonished if the new ships were not French-crewed.  Firstly, it is part of the brand.  (Ok, I know the brand is being evolved at the moment, but still).  Secondly, it would plunge the company into an industrial relations crisis.  Thirdly, it would compromise flexibility to divert/redeploy ships within the fleet.

It's a fair point Gareth but where else will they fit? Portsmouth, Spain & Cherbourg, that's it. When Ouistreham has the quay lengthened for Honfleur, a Visentini will also fit.

37 minutes ago, jonno said:

It's a fair point Gareth but where else will they fit? Portsmouth, Spain & Cherbourg, that's it. When Ouistreham has the quay lengthened for Honfleur, a Visentini will also fit.

They better get on with that pretty quickly then in Ouistreham??

Is there any hope that they'll incorporate some Commodore cabins with balconies on the ships to Spain? Must be good for revenue as they always seem to sell out quickly.

2 hours ago, Jack N said:

Is there any hope that they'll incorporate some Commodore cabins with balconies on the ships to Spain? Must be good for revenue as they always seem to sell out quickly.

If you zoom in on the artist's impression of one of the three new ships it doesn't look like there are any balconies. However, it may be that the design has changed. Ed

EXT37395_New-logo-768x816.jpg

13 hours ago, Gareth said:

I would be astonished if the new ships were not French-crewed.  Firstly, it is part of the brand.  (Ok, I know the brand is being evolved at the moment, but still).  Secondly, it would plunge the company into an industrial relations crisis.  Thirdly, it would compromise flexibility to divert/redeploy ships within the fleet.

I'm sure you are right and judging by the press release linked in the first post of this thread there is certainly an intention to use French crew.  Para 3 states " It will offer increased capacity and comfort for customers as well as employment of French seafarers".

• Like 2

I wouldn't have thought that balconies would be much of a priority. More for cruise ships. With the Eflexers I would think that structurally they will all be the same although internal fit and decor may vary. I think the Commodore type cabins will sell out whether they have a balcony or not. A balcony on the Spanish routes across Biscay is only likely to be of limited use realistically for most of the year.

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

A balcony on the Spanish routes across Biscay is only likely to be of limited use realistically for most of the year.

Not at all - there is nothing better then being at sea on the balcony quaffing some some lovey wine while watching the sunset or (& god forbid), we sometimes sunbathe in the mid spring/late summer in peace & privacy of the balcony!

I will only travel on PA for the commodore class balcony, I travel at all times of the year, it really doesn’t matter what ever the weather is like & I t’s even better in a storm

On 26/03/2019 at 19:04, jonno said:

BF are particularly cosy with Stena, I doubt they'd do anything to jeopardise the relationship by attempting to compete for business at Rosslare or Cherbourg. With the guaranteed income generated by the charters and eventual sales, I wouldn't be surprised if Stena think the same regarding the western channel.

It’s got me wondering if there is some form of agreement or partnership in the making. 

12 hours ago, nick hall said:

Sorry Jonno my post was badly worded. I presumed the 26 HGV’s was after space had been allocated to private cars.

She's rated as being able to carry 58 - 116 per return crossing so it looks like BF have already cut the volume down. Both Roscoff & St Malo are very light in terms of freight, only NEX carries less per year.

58 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I posted about this in another thread Tony... I would be HIGHLY skeptical about anything they write with regards to that. 

I am surprised they know the difference between BF and the Torpoint Ferry!

It does not look like the new vessles will have much outer deck space, mostly at the rear like the Harwich twns. That abundance of deck space at the top will likely be unaccessible which is a shame.

15 minutes ago, Le Quiberon said:

It does not look like the new vessles will have much outer deck space, mostly at the rear like the Harwich twns. That abundance of deck space at the top will likely be unaccessible which is a shame.

I don't think that is the case.

Stena's first one has been launched, and you can see railings at the top, but also - look at the renderings. I can distinctly see sun-loungers on the deck! That would be great :)

(they are present on the BF renderings also)

image.thumb.png.c12618f59732b5b7505f5dda8773856f.png

Edited by hf_uk

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

I don't think that is the case. 

Stena's first one has been launched, and you can see railings at the top, but also - look at the renderings. I can distinctly see sun-loungers on the deck! That would be great :)

(they are present on the BF renderings also) 

image.thumb.png.c12618f59732b5b7505f5dda8773856f.png

Sadly it doesn't look like designed deck space, just a large expanse of flat, windswept painted steel. Better than nothing I suppose.

Depends if it is railing or glass I guess. But sun loungers are good... Pont Aven doesn't have enough!

However there are quite a few on the stern it appear too - which are sheltered.

Edited by hf_uk

I think it's worth remembering that BF are configuring their three to their own requirements, there's a good chance that the top decks will house a café and sheltered seating similar to Cap Finistere... They're sailing to Spain not Dublin to Holyhead.

• Like 1

They are probably for the fourth or fifth one Cause when Stena Estrada was launched Stena Edda was next to it then next to her was Galicia so that's probably fourth or fifth 

17 minutes ago, Aiden said:

They are probably for the fourth or fifth one Cause when Stena Estrada was launched Stena Edda was next to it then next to her was Galicia so that's probably fourth or fifth 

I think BF need to speak to the yard about a dedicated "FLEXERCAM" :)