BAI4

BF Confirms Fourth New Ferry (Third E-Flexer)

Makes sense Gareth. The Spanish market is still growing, plus the e-flexers are more freight focussed. People forget PA could carry both e-flexers and have room left in term of passengers...

• Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 13:51, hf_uk said:

Agreed Gareth. I think a bespoke newbuild to replace Bretagne is certainly going to be their number 1 option. They just need to find another big chunk of £££.

I personally feel that this would have already happened if they opportunity to grab the e-flexers hadn't come along and been too good to pass up. Perhaps 1 new Spain ship would have been agreed, then replace Bretagne... but as things have turned out, maybe they are hoping Bretagne can hold out a bit longer until funds come along... afterall - they hardly have to worry about her losing her popularity with the punters.They would probably hang onto her for another 5-10 years if she wasn't simply too small and become too costly to run now.

Popular with a certain section of punters , the reviews on Tripadvisor of unbiased travellers especially those with cabins on deck 1 suggest her time has been and gone , I don’t really get how Pont Aven is over equipped for St Malo apart from cabins , her wrap around promenade is a great asset on the route and a reconfiguration on the pool area would make that an asset to the route, it might be the only financial option open to BF to deploy her on the route even in the short term.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Popular with a certain section of punters , the reviews on Tripadvisor of unbiased travellers especially those with cabins on deck 1 suggest her time has been and gone , I don’t really get how Pont Aven is over equipped for St Malo apart from cabins , her wrap around promenade is a great asset on the route and a reconfiguration on the pool area would make that an asset to the route, it might be the only financial option open to BF to deploy her on the route even in the short term.

I don't beleive BF would waste her Spainish potential somehow. If they did so it short term like you say, I doubt they would touch her much structurally.

The pool WILL be opened! (one day) :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

and being used

For what? Witch dunking, apple bobbing, plastic duck fishing or, and this would be a first in my experience, actually swimming? Ed. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

For what? Witch dunking, apple bobbing, plastic duck fishing or, and this would be a first in my experience, actually swimming? Ed. 

Actually swimming.

• Like 3

I have feeling that the longer the world waits for a Bretagne new build announcement the more chance there is of PA replacing her and SOMABRET invest in a new Spanish flagship to run alongside the BAI charters in a similar way to the current arrangement.

She's 15 years old, the Bay is beginning to take it's toll and by 2024 PA is paid for meaning the bean counters will be less worried running her under capacity for much of the year not to mention the fuel savings having her chug along the channel at 18kts, less overnight.

There's also the shipyards, many will have completed their multi hull builds by then too.

• Like 2

You could effectively shut off a deck of cabins in the lighter off season sailings to save on cleaning costs plus she would be able to run on 3 engines on the StMalo route and still be punctual 😉

7 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

You could effectively shut off a deck of cabins in the lighter off season sailings to save on cleaning costs plus she would be able to run on 3 engines on the StMalo route and still be punctual 😉

Having the pool available on St Malo day crossings may also increase cabin sales too.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jonno said:

Having the pool available on St Malo day crossings may also increase cabin sales too.

I was on her 3 times before I even saw the pool , it’s actually an ok area if you want peace and quiet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

it’s actually an ok area if you want peace and quiet.

Just check whether Gareth and his kids are on the same sailing first!  😉  Or indeed, mine. Ed. 

• Haha 1

Never went that high on her  to be honest.

Did you get as far as the bar and stop there?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Solo said:

Did you get as far as the bar and stop there?

Pretty much , self service,bar, cabin,sleep, Le Flora then off, what can I say I’m easy pleased.

Pretty much , self service,bar, cabin,sleep, Le Flora then off, what can I say I’m easy pleased.

We always go to the top level in the bar, so at least we see the ‘pool’.

• Like 1

I only realised there was a pool up there on my first PA crossing when I smelled the chlorine in the stairwell. The crew then announced a few minutes later that it was closed due to the rough crossing we were going to have. And that was in mid-August! Ed  

25 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I only realised there was a pool up there on my first PA crossing when I smelled the chlorine in the stairwell. The crew then announced a few minutes later that it was closed due to the rough crossing we were going to have. And that was in mid-August! Ed  

It’s a bit like the bow deck on Bretagne that way.

• Like 1

I can't see a brand new ship on the St Malo route. Has this ever happened before? It's quite clear what BF's strategy is: invest in the profitable Caen and Spain routes with new ships; and do the best it can on the other routes, operating with sufficient frequency to keep competitors out. Therefore secondhand or hand-me-down tonnage is the inevitable outcome. I can't see  a new ship on the St Malo route ever stacking up in a business case. With all of the above, PA might be the 'least worst' option post-Brextagne.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, impreza280 said:

I can't see a brand new ship on the St Malo route. Has this ever happened before? It's quite clear what BF's strategy is: invest in the profitable Caen and Spain routes with new ships; and do the best it can on the other routes, operating with sufficient frequency to keep competitors out. Therefore secondhand or hand-me-down tonnage is the inevitable outcome. I can't see  a new ship on the St Malo route ever stacking up in a business case. With all of the above, PA might be the 'least worst' option post-Brextagne.

They built a brand new ship for Ply/Ros, admittedly it's used to cover every other route during winter.

DFDS have just done what appears to be a very canny part-exhange deal for their Newcastle-Amsterdam route, could BF do something similar? Is there anything in the Mediterranean which might be suitable for St Malo? Or the Baltic for that matter...

11 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

DFDS have just done what appears to be a very canny part-exhange deal for their Newcastle-Amsterdam route, could BF do something similar? Is there anything in the Mediterranean which might be suitable for St Malo? Or the Baltic for that matter...

I'd have said the Danielle Casanova a few years ago but she's probably a bit long in the tooth now (and her owners probably actually need her).

Edited by hhvferry