BAI4

BF Confirms Fourth New Ferry (Third E-Flexer)

I read Portsmouth too. That seems to rule out a trip to Le Havre or Cherbourg once a week for a crew change that I had been anticipating. Seeing as how she's on charter, and not owned by one of the regional entities, perhaps they are less concerned. Ed. 

I’m sure I read Limassol, but seriously it does look like Portsmouth, if Andy has the original photo it will be a lot clearer on that.

Edited by neilcvx

Perhaps it's just Stena registering the vessel for its delivery voyage and the handover will be in France or the UK and then they will change the port of registry. Ed. 

If Portsmouth, was to say, be the port of registry and she flew the Red Ensign. Never had a scheduled arrival in a French port. I wonder what the crewing arrangements would be?..British/French Officers with East European or Philipino crew as per P & O Hull. Would certainly be cheaper to get your crews via an agency than direct labour. Interesting

Edited by Paully
  • Like 1

I note that quite a few Stena vessels are UK-registered, it could be that she flies the UK flag whilst under charter, or as Cabin-boy suggests, until she is officially handed over to BF?

Just now, Paully said:

If Portsmouth, was to say, the port of registry and she flew the Red Ensign. Never had a scheduled arrival in a French port. I wonder what the crewing arrangements would be?..British/French Officers with East European or Philipino crew as per P & O Hull. Interesting

It will certainly be an odd situation if we have a French company with a Briish-flagged ship (or more) whilst at the same time P&O (who most still perceive as 'British') have gone to great lengths to avoid having a single ship flying the red ensign.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

I note that quite a few Stena vessels are UK-registered, it could be that she flies the UK flag whilst under charter, or as Cabin-boy suggests, until she is officially handed over to BF?

I imagine that is true, I expect the Honfleur to be German registered until handover !

1 hour ago, georgem7 said:

If she is this far advanced, I struggle to believe the late 2021 delivery suggested by Jonno up thread.

I'd most certainly agree. If she's being floated out now she's took less time than Stena's Estrid to reach this stage, she was 11 months, Galicia has been barely 8 months.

Exciting times!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

It does look like Portsmouth - the renders Stena RoRo published Morlaix.  Interesting 

Steve, the other vessel in the image appears to have a different stern facing superstructure, do you know if this is due to the differing specs between the needs of Stena compared to BF?

Thanks to Brittany Ferries for answering the question, the 'Portsmouth' registration is indeed only temporary. These vessels will be French flagged upon entry into service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

That's a very smart looking ship.

There's a rumour I can't get confirmed just yet regarding Le Havre, maybe others will have better luck?

Apparently the port is enhancing their anti collision turning area with greater dredging, more advanced RADAR chains and improved radio position fixing which has something to do with fairway axis?

I wonder whether this will allow the E Flexer to visit.

Just now, jonno said:

I wonder whether this will allow the E Flexer to visit.

I'm convinced that's the plan once a week like with BDS for the crew change. Ed. 

5 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Thanks to Brittany Ferries for answering the question, the 'Portsmouth' registration is indeed only temporary. These vessels will be French flagged upon entry into service.

... and there was me being cynical Stena were getting them to use Northern Marine for crewing (and wondering where the associated riot was)

• Haha 2

Just now, hhvferry said:

If only the funnel was a decent size and shape, proportionate to the ship.

It probably balances out across the fleet (certainly the Spanish ships) if you add them all together. Ed. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

As an aside to the stereotypical Chinese comments if anyone is interested as to how Chinese built ships like The eflexers are built so cheaply and quickly then this is worth a watch.

https://www.netflix.com/fr-en/title/81090071

Hey, I am China's biggest fan, purchaser of unnecessary low-price electronics and advocate of the worldwide replacement of all legacy household batteries with 18650's! :P 
I think it was Ed who went rogue with the Asian comic strip!
(But they actually do look like paddy rows.)

And to be fair Neil, I would hope that for the price then, Honfleur is hand-riveted together, with pewter rivots.

Edited by hf_uk