Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

Rosyth again?

Neil, if DFDS didn't think it was economically viable, do you know what has changed to make another company think that reinstating the route would work? Ed. 

State aid and Brexit apparently, Paul Wheelhouse is my MSP I will bend his lug about it the next time I see him to get more information .

I saw the Brexit reference in the article. There are very few news stories which don't manage to shoehorn it in somewhere. If a hard Brexit happens, might it in fact be easier to award state aid as the UK will no longer be constrained by EU rules on such payments? Ed. 

I wouldn't be surprised if DFDS saw it as just an opportune moment to pull out, Their freight world seems to just want to orbit Immingham.

Cairnryan isn't exactly the centre of the universe but can easily sustain two ferry companies, the same can be said for Pembrokeshire. Road links in Scotland are good, I can see why some are now looking more closely at Rosyth. The A75 is a decent road from the western Scottish ports and from Dumfries it's motorway all the way up. Newcastle and Teesport can be a nightmare to get to along the A69.

The grants available also appear to be more generous than a MOS subsidy... I'll definitely give it a go.

The new Queensferry crossing is best avoided at peak times (morning south bound evening north bound)  but apart from that the road links are very good.

Interesting that they acknowledge a superfast wasn’t economical to run but they want to transport freight and appeal to the mini cruise market.

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Interesting that they acknowledge a superfast wasn’t economical to run but they want to transport freight and appeal to the mini cruise market.

I don't know why they said that. Superfast's are as economical as any other if the not clogging along at 28kts which if they want to target the mini cruise market they won't be.

41 minutes ago, jonno said:

I don't know why they said that. Superfast's are as economical as any other if the not clogging along at 28kts which if they want to target the mini cruise market they won't be.

You wouldn’t be suggesting that a government minister didn’t know what they were talking about? 😉

Interesting that Forth Ports reckon they will need to spend "£2–3million" on facilities. 

I haven't been to Rosyth recently, but AIUI the linkspan is still in working order and there is a suitable passenger terminal / office building.

Isn't there plenty of parking / marshalling space alongside the quay now the Queensferry bridge stuff has gone?

A couple of entrance gates for freight and cars plus lighting and CCTV plus some fencing to separate landslide / waterside.

Err on the generous side and count 1x ship / day (prob only 3x week) - does that need a permanent pedestrian gangway? IIRC at least one of the Mallorca ferries walks "convoys" of pax over the link span – a bit like airports without jetways where a couple of marshals in hi-vis wave you across the tarmac.

I'll do some brain picks with my former colleagues in Edinburgh and the Fife area.

A bit more on this,

RTV Noord are reporting that the preferred route will be Rosyth to the Groningen seaport of Emshaven. The main enabler for the route will be Scottish whiskey exports and timber aboard a RoPax also capable of carrying passengers and their vehicles.

Sailing to Emshaven would half driving times to cities such as Hamburg compared to Rotterdam and by over two hours when compared to Ijmuiden.

• Like 1

If this did ever happen it would be the closest thing yet to a connection with Scandinavia since Harwich-Esbjerg was scrapped. I for one would definitely be interested, despite living in the English midlands ;) 

• Like 2

A ferry service to Emshaven sounds like it would be very freight-orientated to me.  It’s a very industrial port with not much by way of passenger-orientated infrastructure.  It’s the port through which all new VW and Audi cars are exported to the UK.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

A ferry service to Emshaven sounds like it would be very freight-orientated to me.  It’s a very industrial port with not much by way of passenger-orientated infrastructure.  It’s the port through which all new VW and Audi cars are exported to the UK.

Very close Gareth, Emshaven is on the Dutch side of the Ems right on the coast. VAG use Emden in Germany which is just a little further down river on the opposite bank. You're right though Emshaven is pretty industrialised although they do have a marshalling area and a small terminal building adjacent to the linkspan.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jonno said:

No one has mentioned which company TEC - Farragon will be using to operate the route. I have no idea where a Stena connection has come from?

https://www.rtvnoord.nl/nieuws/212013/Schots-bedrijf-werkt-aan-veerdienst-tussen-Eemshaven-en-Edinburgh-update

It was quoted in various articles that they would be using Stena ships , although if they think we make whiskey in Scotland then they might not be that professional anyway, personally I can’t see it happening although I would most probably use it if it ever did happen.

Seems especially strange that Scottish government are willing to support a route but this company don’t seem interested in that help.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/traffic-and-travel/plans-for-ferries-to-run-from-fife-to-holland-in-advanced-stage-1-4988155

Edited by neilcvx

33 minutes ago, jonno said:

Very close Gareth, Emshaven is on the Dutch side of the Ems right on the coast. VAG use Emden in Germany which is just a little further down river on the opposite bank. You're right though Emshaven is pretty industrialised although they do have a marshalling area and a small terminal building adjacent to the linkspan.

Damn.  Another senior moment eh, Ed?! 😳

4 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

although if they think we make whiskey in Scotland then they might not be that professional anyway

I really don't understand this remark. 

Speyside in one of the largest whiskey producing areas, Glenfiddich is the worlds most popular single malt and Grants produce millions of litres a year. If it's not distilled in Scotland it can't be called Scotch Whiskey. Exports of whiskey alone equal a quarter of the UK's food and drink revenue. 

2 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

It’s whisky not whiskey.

That’s what I like to see.....nothing like a bit of self-correction! 😃

Do you want me to edit the original Neil?

6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That’s what I like to see.....nothing like a bit of self-correction! 😃

Do you want me to edit the original Neil?

Haha , no it’s fine a common mistake and one which the  company made as well.