almosthere

Is my booked ferry running?

I don't get this..........we are booked on Cherbourg-Poole, June 2nd @ 18.30. Went online to make a minor amendment, but there is no 18.30 sailing showing, but other Barfleur sailings which are timed in a manner that seems impossible for her to be sailing at 18.30 as per my booking. Before I make a fool of myself with customer support, can anyone suggest what's going on, or have I misunderstood somethig?

crossing times.jpg

8 minutes ago, almosthere said:

I don't get this..........we are booked on Cherbourg-Poole, June 2nd @ 18.30. Went online to make a minor amendment, but there is no 18.30 sailing showing, but other Barfleur sailings which are timed in a manner that seems impossible for her to be sailing at 18.30 as per my booking. Before I make a fool of myself with customer support, can anyone suggest what's going on, or have I misunderstood somethig?

crossing times.jpg

My sailing was moved. There are two daily sailings in June now -  about 0900 and 2200 I believe is what she told me. It is because of brexit changes. Surprised you haven't received a call from them already...

26 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

My sailing was moved. There are two daily sailings in June now -  about 0900 and 2200 I believe is what she told me. It is because of brexit changes. Surprised you haven't received a call from them already...

No surprise about Wrexit, but a big surprise I've not received a call from them already.  The 18.30 sailings seem to have vanished from the timetables, replaced with 08.45, 15.30 (alternating, not daily) & 22.15. Needless to say, the 15.30 sailing which would suit us very nicely isn't available on the days we want.  I've e-mailed customer support. Very tempted to cancel both trips.

Edited by almosthere

Not being funny, but what's the big deal about going a little earlier or later?! Surely not worth cancelling an entire trip!

28 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Not being funny, but what's the big deal about going a little earlier or later?! Surely not worth cancelling an entire trip!

Well since you ask, the big deal is that we have a long trip to the South & back, timings crucial, to a meticulously planned itinerary involving events, stop offs, & meeting up with friends from US & Oz. Presumably BF have the same laissez faire attitude that we're just on holiday so they can just change our booking at short notice...........one of these trips was only amended & confirmed 2 weeks ago, and yet it has been altered without notifying me. If I hadn't gone into my booking to change something, I'd still be unaware that my sailings weren't running.

If you're happy to have to have you holiday plans changed, good for you. But we're not.

• Like 1

Quite right. Many of us have itineraries which are equally integrated. I'd be tempted to cancel too. You never know what they might do while you're away.

1 hour ago, almosthere said:

Well since you ask, the big deal is that we have a long trip to the South & back, timings crucial, to a meticulously planned itinerary involving events, stop offs, & meeting up with friends from US & Oz. Presumably BF have the same laissez faire attitude that we're just on holiday so they can just change our booking at short notice...........one of these trips was only amended & confirmed 2 weeks ago, and yet it has been altered without notifying me. If I hadn't gone into my booking to change something, I'd still be unaware that my sailings weren't running.

If you're happy to have to have you holiday plans changed, good for you. But we're not.

I think you are perfectly entitled to cancel in those circumstances but will you be able to find an alternative option that doesn't entail significant changes to your itinerary? If not, then perhaps leaving on the morning crossing would be the simplest solution (assuming you can get to Poole in time) and if not explain that to BF to see what they can offer you as an alternative or compensation to pay for a night in a hotel etc, Ed. 

Higher frequency of sailings, peak season?

Do I sense the 'S' word peeking over the Horizon!?

God I hope not. Not this year. On the plus side I guess  - most of these 'Brextra' sailings have hardly anything on it seems - so any action would not have a great deal of consequence.

Almosthere - I understand what you mean, but I still don't think it's the end of the world - it's not as if you are being bumped to a sailing 3 or 4 days askew... but that's just me:)

1 hour ago, almosthere said:

I doubt BF want to change thousands of bookings and run a unexpectedly tight-turnaround schedule with almost empty ships... it's part of the Brexit contact and all the uncertainty that comes with that isn't it! :)

A departure change of three hours either way is such a gamer changer, there's more wiggle room than that planned into your itinerary surely?

I'd see leaving the UK 3 hours earlier as an advantage when heading south, you'll be arriving more or less still in daylight and you have more breathing space if there's onward travel disruption. @almosthere I thought you preferred an overnight to Caen wouldn't the later sailing from Poole offer something similar?

I'm guessing he was planning on staying with friends in Cherbourg (or thereabouts) on the first night and perhaps getting an early start the next day. It'll be interesting to see what BF offers as an alternative. Ed. 

But this was a Fr - UK booking, was it not?

Also, has the UK - Fr booking changed too?   I’m a bit confused.  Nothing particularly unusual about that though.

3 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Also, has the UK - Fr booking changed too?   I’m a bit confused.  Nothing particularly unusual about that though.

I think the whole Barfy timetable has changed throughout the Summer pretty much yes. Just more sailings!

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

I doubt BF want to change thousands of bookings and run a unexpectedly tight-turnaround schedule with almost empty ships... it's part of the Brexit contact and all the uncertainty that comes with that isn't it! :)

The "Brextra" crossing Ply-Ro we took on Thursday was very sparse indeed. 4 trucks and the rest all on the same deck, with a lot of empty space.

I

1 minute ago, Bassman said:

The "Brextra" crossing Ply-Ro we took on Thursday was very sparse indeed. 4 trucks and the rest all on the same deck, with a lot of empty space.

I know - it's a little sad to see, but then if the company is getting paid for it, I suppose no harm done!

4 hours ago, almosthere said:

I would set off the day before and have a more leisurely drive south.  Keep calm. Meticulously planned itineraries can quickly unravel. Worse things can happen. Take care . 

I know - it's a little sad to see, but then if the company is getting paid for it, I suppose no harm done!

Except to our pockets as UK taxpayers! 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gardian said:

You are right. Sorry, I've just seen the alternative option. So, in that case the logical alternative would be NEX. Ed

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

Except to our pockets as UK taxpayers! 🙄

Have you looked at your council tax breakdown recently?

#brexitsailings-smallpotatos

;)

We were on the 145pm from poole yesterday - an ideal sailing time for us, and there were about 100 cars on board. Not a bad load for a Sunday afternoon, I would think. Excellent service delightfully offered all round - bar, shop and self service as well as loading and unloading. Our return is booked for an 845am departure - again, an excellent timing for us. Thankyou Brexit.

I know my booking got changed, and I saw i online looking at amendments before having a "official notification" a good few days later. On the other hand they did give compensation to make up for the changes.

Apart from BF failing to contact me in good time about my booked ferries not running, they have been very helpful and got back to me within a couple of hours. As it turns out one of the crossings will be from Cherbourg at 15.30, which suits us very well, so it's not all bad.

BF said the changes were due to a 'government initiative', and I'd be interested if anyone knows what these changes are intended to achieve.