Sign in to follow this  
eagleeye

Wight Ryder 2

Seems to be enjoying Portchester as she been up here a while. Seems to take far longer than the much larger car ferry annual surveys. 

WR2 having issues again. Portchester shipyard just finished work on Serco tug so she has today gone up the harbour towed by ex butcher boat Carol James to have work carried out. Trant look like they have purchased ex Wightlink staff shuttle boat Yvonne.

Edited by adicat

Propellor fell off ages ago been an hourly service whilst waiting to go on the ship lift .probaly won’t take long but the waiting was the long bit 

I hear that Vivarail will be supplying 5 "new" 2 coach trains originally built 1978 and being completely refurbished on the Island Line. Funny thing is within the 26m spend is putting back the big mistake that was taking out Bradings double track passing. They will go back to a 30 minute service. The steam railway wants to join the network to St John's Road but there are lots of current obstacles to overcome I believe.

The Steam Railway issued a statement a couple of weeks ago confirming that the St John's Road scheme was dead. In my view they would have been misguided to have even thought it was worthwhile. As for the rest of it I do wonder if some thought will be given to demolishing the remains of the old tramway pier before it collapses. It is well over time for the Esplanade 'interchange' to get a facelift it really is getting to look very drab.  Most of all though there needs to be some determination to actually collect the fares due. The last times I've travelled no attempt has been made to either check tickets or make sales. Yet it is impossible to buy through day return tickets from many mainland stations to Island Line destinations.

All stations are to get up to date ticket bending machines and guards will be able to walk all the way through the trains. There is no excuse on a 2 car train not to check all tickets. 

I know it's a typo but I love the idea of a ticket bending machine but I 'd like a ticket lending machine more 😊

If they re opened platform 2 at Ryde esplanade they could also ( in theory) run a 15 min service, run more trains and people will use it! You only have to look at the growth in numbers on other small lines when capacity & frequency are increased to see this. Also, if I was working them I would be greeting the passengers at the pier head onto the train and checking the tickets at the same time.... then it’s just checking and selling to those joining at each station .....

Edited by WightEagle