• 3 months later...

WR2 having issues again. Portchester shipyard just finished work on Serco tug so she has today gone up the harbour towed by ex butcher boat Carol James to have work carried out. Trant look like they have purchased ex Wightlink staff shuttle boat Yvonne.

Edited by adicat
  • 1 month later...

I hear that Vivarail will be supplying 5 "new" 2 coach trains originally built 1978 and being completely refurbished on the Island Line. Funny thing is within the 26m spend is putting back the big mistake that was taking out Bradings double track passing. They will go back to a 30 minute service. The steam railway wants to join the network to St John's Road but there are lots of current obstacles to overcome I believe.

The Steam Railway issued a statement a couple of weeks ago confirming that the St John's Road scheme was dead. In my view they would have been misguided to have even thought it was worthwhile. As for the rest of it I do wonder if some thought will be given to demolishing the remains of the old tramway pier before it collapses. It is well over time for the Esplanade 'interchange' to get a facelift it really is getting to look very drab.  Most of all though there needs to be some determination to actually collect the fares due. The last times I've travelled no attempt has been made to either check tickets or make sales. Yet it is impossible to buy through day return tickets from many mainland stations to Island Line destinations.

If they re opened platform 2 at Ryde esplanade they could also ( in theory) run a 15 min service, run more trains and people will use it! You only have to look at the growth in numbers on other small lines when capacity & frequency are increased to see this. Also, if I was working them I would be greeting the passengers at the pier head onto the train and checking the tickets at the same time.... then it’s just checking and selling to those joining at each station .....

Edited by WightEagle
  • 6 months later...
5 hours ago, eagleeye said:

Wight Ryder 2 out today for a battery charge amongst other things 

4 hours ago, eagleeye said:

Now Wight Ryder 1 is getting the same treatment 

Charge? Or Change? Charge seems a little bizarre!

Just like cars surely, If yours is laid up then you need to give it a run to keep the battery charged. Unless you have a suitable battery charger of course. But it is also good to give the engine a regular warm up to keep everything working and the oil circulating. So taking the Ryders for a spin kills two birds with one stone.

In a marine environment, if you stop using something for any length of time it rapidly starts to deteriorate.