Sign in to follow this  
ccs147

Connemara at Roscoff Tuesday 16th April

Thank You. What magnificant photos, helped by the wonderful weather.

Another ship which berths Stern door into Roscoff. Armorique and Cap Finistere (I think) berth stern door in, Pont Aven berths Bow door in, and I think that is the exception. Any possible reason why most ships prefer to dock Stern into Roscoff. 

Having recently returned from Roscoff, I see that now the linkspan has been replaced it is only connected to the ship once, unlike "pre-bump", where the ship was attached twice to the linkspan. 

In Connemara’s case you will find she doesn’t have much by way of other choice if she wants to let cars off.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

In Connemara's you will find she doesn’t have much by way of other choice if she wants to let cars off.

Fair play. Forgot Connemara only had a stern door.

• Like 1

As far as the general question is concerned, it’s been discussed a fair few times on here already.  But to briefly summarise as far as Pont Aven is concerned - most BF ports are equally suitable for bow or stern berthing, but a few have a definite advantage one way or the other.  One of these is Cork, and in my view Pont Aven’s summer berthing habits are driven by the need to berth stern-in at Cork.  Stern-in at Portsmouth and Plymouth, and bow-in at Roscoff and Santander, follow on as as a consequence of this.  The reason for berthing stern-in at Cork is to avoid having to depart completely blind, with the view “round the corner”, to seaward from the berth, completely invisible from the bridge.

• Like 1

Cap Finisterre berths stern-in everywhere.  BF operate her as a stern-loader because the entrance through the bow door is too narrow.

6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Cap Finisterre berths stern-in everywhere.  BF operate her as a stern-loader because the entrance through the bow door is too narrow. 

Has that been confirmed or is it a, plausible, theory? She's designed for primarily stern-only loading over very wide stern doors but BF have used her on occasion as a bow loader; it's not really any narrower than most other ships.

She berthed bow-in at Santander until the linkspan at Santander was replaced with a wider one.  Previously she used the bow door because there was no saving in using the stern.  The new linkspan at Santander allows CF to use the full stern access arrangements and she has not been used bow-in since.

6 hours ago, Gareth said:

As far as the general question is concerned, it’s been discussed a fair few times on here already.  But to briefly summarise as far as Pont Aven is concerned - most BF ports are equally suitable for bow or stern berthing, but a few have a definite advantage one way or the other.  One of these is Cork, and in my view Pont Aven’s summer berthing habits are driven by the need to berth stern-in at Cork.  Stern-in at Portsmouth and Plymouth, and bow-in at Roscoff and Santander, follow on as as a consequence of this.  The reason for berthing stern-in at Cork is to avoid having to depart completely blind, with the view “round the corner”, to seaward from the berth, completely invisible from the bridge.

We travelled up from Santander to Cork last year and to watch the berthing at Ringiskiddy  was amazing for such a long ship to be turned around and then manovered into what seemed a tiny berth with the bow overhanging to be tied up on a pontoon was awesome. Hats of to the pilot and all the berthing crew! 👍

12 hours ago, Gareth said:

It not the width it's the clearance height of the inner bow door that is the issue.  She only berthed bow in in Santander as the old berth wasn't wide enough to accommodate her stern doors but as a consequence had a lower height restriction for freight on Santander sailings.

Edited by Timmy
  • Like 1

Width or height, the point is semantic in relation to the point of the discussion.  The fact is that BF no longer uses CF as a bow-loader, because all ports served niw enable full use of the much-wider stern ramp.

I wonder if CF still retains the ability to load through the bow, if necessary?  I guess if they haven’t welded up the doors (which I have no reason to believe they have) then they must still be maintained and must therefore still be usable.