Sign in to follow this  
Billy Boy

Driving into Paris.What sticker for diesel cars?

OK, well maybe the cash is used to offset the cost of free public transport on the days when pollution levels are particularly high. As to Europe coordinating the sticker system, do you mean one sticker per vehicle per year that's then valid across the continent or one for each country so that you'd have to get 8 if you are a Swede driving to your holiday home in Portugal? Ed

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

I actually think that it is a good idea, it is a shame that Europe can't create consistent rules for the stickers.

Don't want to go political but this is one thing you would think the EU could do for the good of all, everyone claims to want to cut down on pollution, so there should be no arguments with it.  Each country could use the stickers as they see fit but there would be a universal standard of identifying vehicles.

Edited by Solo

Well the engine classification system (Euro x) already exists and when I bought my supposedly-clean small-capacity petrol-engined car in 2015 I had to pay a financial penalty while the garage was still selling diesel-powered cars with a government bonus due to the fuel lobby despite experts warning of the dangers. I have therefore already paid for all the damage I'm likely to do. Why not just stick a 'Euro 6' badge on the car in the factory and be done with it? Ed. 

We've had our CritAir sticker for a few years now, as we infrequently go into the zone in Paris, Lyon, & Grenoble. A mystery to us, is that we've never noticed any warning signs or understand how our sticker is scanned, if at all. But it does no harm to get one, just in case, and even if you don't intend to go into the restricted zones, you never know when you might take a wrong turn or be diverted.

Same with IDP & green card. We've go 3 trips coming up this year, during which it's possible that we'll be away when we suddenly leave the EU with no deal; it could happen just about any time, but people are misinterpreting the extension as meaning that's the date we'll continue to be a member state, but it isn't necessarily the case. 

Make sure you use the official site to obtain your sticker. 

Edited by almosthere
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well the engine classification system (Euro x) already exists and when I bought my supposedly-clean small-capacity petrol-engined car in 2015 I had to pay a financial penalty while the garage was still selling diesel-powered cars with a government bonus due to the fuel lobby despite experts warning of the dangers. I have therefore already paid for all the damage I'm likely to do. Why not just stick a 'Euro 6' badge on the car in the factory and be done with it? Ed. 

The government have really messed up the car tax. The new 3 band system means you pay as much for a VW Up as a large family car, offering absolutely no incentive to choose a smaller or cleaner engine. The exact opposite of the action that needs to be taken.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, penguin said:

The government have really messed up the car tax. The new 3 band system means you pay as much for a VW Up as a large family car, offering absolutely no incentive to choose a smaller or cleaner engine. The exact opposite of the action that needs to be taken.

Don't forget the new system only applies to vehicles registered on or after April 1st 2017, and the new rates consist of a sum which you pay on first registration, and thereafter the 3 bands apply, which as you say apply to all  petrol & diesel vehicles regardless of emissions. The first 'on registration' rate would be £135 for a VW Up, and £170 for a Golf. But after the first year they would both pay £145. The only incentive is to get an electric car from now on, or use a vehicle registered before April 1st 2017, where the rates are still based on emissions & engine type.

If and when they enforce it,the Brits will be the first to get there collar felt by the police in France.i know people will stick up for the French but I have driven around Europe for many years now and without doubt France is the worst country for Brits to be pulled by the French police.if you are in a British reg vehicle it is like having a huge flashing light on top saying pull me Iam a brit.sorry about going a bit off topic but be rest assured Iam right.

I have just received my sticker, for now I will just keep it in my glove box in case we go into a zone.

It took just under 2 weeks to arrive, however the 'invoice' which has a temporary sticker was sent within a couple of days.

Note that the barcode shows the car details including VIN which is a shame as we will be switching cars later this year and will be keeping the number plate !

8 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Note that the barcode shows the car details including VIN which is a shame as we will be switching cars later this year and will be keeping the number plate !

Yes, but that's logical as the other vehicle may not fall into the same category so it can't be transfered between vehicles but presumably can between owners unless it specifically shows your name. Ed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes, but that's logical as the other vehicle may not fall into the same category so it can't be transfered between vehicles but presumably can between owners unless it specifically shows your name. Ed. 

No Name, the barcode just contains the model name, VIN code, reg number plus a few other bits. The only thing  printed on the sticker is registration number.

I think if put on properly you would need a new one if you replaced the windscreen as well, however there is an option for covering the sticky bit with plastic (for bikes) which makes it a bit more reusable and means that it possible just to put on the windscreen if needed.

• Thanks 1

They shut a load of roads in Edinburgh to all cars yesterday because of the level of pollution apparently it’s going to be common occurrence on Sundays.