Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Fog horns

Out of interest, one of those things one thinks about when one cannot sleep.  Lying there wondering, because fog horns sound intermittently, is there a set rule for how often they are sounded?  I presume they are done automatically and programmed to sound at set intervals.  And are fog horns the same horn that is sounded normally on leaving port?  Just wondering..🙂 

They're done automatically, but can be done manually if you really wanted to.

http://ecolregs.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=67&lang=en

http://ecolregs.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=66&Itemid=406&lang=en

There's the most relevant rules.

• Like 1

The Colregs set out what signals to sound and at what interval.

So in Fog you are most likely to hear a prolonged blast at an interval not exceeding 2 minutes which indicates a Power Driven Vessel is underway and making way.  If that vessel were to stop that would change to two prolonged blasts at an interval not exceeding 2 minutes. These signals are sounded by one of the ships whistles and are normally electronically  controlled. An electronic gong and bell option for when the ship is at anchor which is via a speaker.

You will quite commonly hear the manouvering signals at Poole Quay from the Harbour ferries, 1 short for turning to starboard, 2 short for port and 3 short for going astern.  These are normally sounded manually.

The prolonged blast you often here when a ship leaves the berth is normally a Harbour by-law rather than a requirement of the Colregs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Timmy said:

The Colregs set out what signals to sound and at what interval.

So in Fog you are most likely to hear a prolonged blast at an interval not exceeding 2 minutes which indicates a Power Driven Vessel is underway and making way.  If that vessel were to stop that would change to two prolonged blasts at an interval not exceeding 2 minutes. These signals are sounded by one of the ships whistles and are normally electronically  controlled. An electronic gong and bell option for when the ship is at anchor which is via a speaker.

You will quite commonly hear the manouvering signals at Poole Quay from the Harbour ferries, 1 short for turning to starboard, 2 short for port and 3 short for going astern.  These are normally sounded manually.

The prolonged blast you often here when a ship leaves the berth is normally a Harbour by-law rather than a requirement of the Colregs.

I can hear Barfleur’s fog horn from my own flat in Bournemouth, remember one day I was watching breakfast TV and I could hear these intermittent long low blasts and wondered what the heck they were.  It was foggy outside, but did not dawn on me until I saw a post on one of the Poole Facebook pages and she was mentioned as using her fog horn.  Ahhhhh, she is what I heard then.  I also remember her fog horn coming out of Cherbourg and I was standing near the railings just behind the bridge and it was extremely foggy (as photo shows) and her fog horn went, first one made me jump out of my skin!  Because of the fog being so dense you could not see a thing, believe it or not Harmony of the Seas is somewhere in that photo as you could hear her horn as well.  Long deep growl, hers was!  I was remembering all this last night and just wondered about fog horms.

5F0FA7D4-6B4F-4B0C-9613-54BF94B2D4CE.jpeg

They’re generally at 60, 90 or 120s intervals.  If you’re at sea and have several audible you can track each one by timig the intervals.  As a general rule, the bigger the vessel the deeper the tone.

• Like 1