Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
zuludelta

Rosslare Port "actively looking at a way to replace the vacuum left by Irish Ferries"

Recommended Posts

In today's Sunday Independent (Ireland,28/04/19) it reports how Rosslare Port is "actively looking to replace the vacuum left by Irish Ferries" . Their interview with Glen Carr, Port Manager quotes him as saying:

"We need to find an operator to take up the vacancy left by Irish Ferries but we need to find that now. I am actively looking at the moment for that. There is nothing from Rosslare to Cherbourg on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Sunday" 

It will be interesting to see if an operator moves in to fill this vacuum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The logical operator to fill the gap would be the incumbent so they should try and persuade Stena to put a second ship on, of which they will have a few in the next couple of years.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zuludelta said:

actively looking to replace the vacuum left by Irish Ferries

They could swap it for the one on Bretagne. It might work better! 🤣 

(Some of you might not get that joke-apologies if so!) 

Ed. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

They could swap it for the one on Bretagne. It might work better! 🤣 

(Some of you might not get that joke-apologies if so!) 

Ed. 

Yeah, I hear the plumbing on the old girl ain't the best... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the stuff Shane Ross and Wexford's Minister for State said after I.F's announcement I think they're more concerned that I.F cut their Rosslare ties with Cherbourg, Roscoff has never been mentioned.

OK... devils advocate.

As a port what unique selling point does Roscoff have, what would the advantage be to say Stena bearing in mind that only 4% of all goods which travel to France from Ireland - U.K Landbridge included,  are for the French?

There was no business in LD's Rosslare - St Nazaire link, why would there be a viable case for Roscoff?

Not even BF, who basically own the port, sail to Ireland throughout the year.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonno said:

Reading the stuff Shane Ross and Wexford's Minister for State said after I.F's announcement I think they're more concerned that I.F cut their Rosslare ties with Cherbourg, Roscoff has never been mentioned.

OK... devils advocate.

As a port what unique selling point does Roscoff have, what would the advantage be to say Stena bearing in mind that only 4% of all goods which travel to France from Ireland - U.K Landbridge included,  are for the French?

There was no business in LD's Rosslare - St Nazaire link, why would there be a viable case for Roscoff?

Not even BF, who basically own the port, sail to Ireland throughout the year.

 

 

I was actually more thinking more of Rosslare to Cherbourg, as BF already have operations at Cherbourg. If Rosslare are desperate for more traffic (cheaper charges) and BF want to lower their Brexit exposure...it could be mutually beneficial. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, zuludelta said:

I was actually more thinking more of Rosslare to Cherbourg, as BF already have operations at Cherbourg. If Rosslare are desperate for more traffic (cheaper charges) and BF want to lower their Brexit exposure...it could be mutually beneficial. 

Rosslare is about to have massive investment. New port infrastructure and facilities, improved road and rail links. The port certainly has the berths and the draft... berth 1 can accommodate an E-Flexer & Berth 2 a Superfast.

Could this be an option for BF, fully relocating their Irish links to Rosslare...Port of Cork certainly aren't planning any passenger ferry improvements, It's not on their agenda, what you see is what you get with zero scope for improvement or expansion. Rosslare could leave them in their wake?

A fourth E-flexer could serve Spain & Cherbourg whilst Cap Finistere could off a year round dedicated service to Roscoff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonno said:

Rosslare could leave them in their wake?

A fourth E-flexer could serve Spain & Cherbourg whilst Cap Finistere could off a year round dedicated service to Roscoff.

Indeed. BF know the importance of having proximity to their catchment area. Look what the move from Plymouth to Portsmouth did for them (no offense Plymouth fans...). The population of Ireland (and affluence) of Ireland is skewed towards the eastern seaboard. Moreover, in recent years BF seem to be heavily promoting their Irish services to French customers and Cherbourg is much closer to the Paris agglomeration than Roscoff. Taking into account all these factors, and as you mention, the future port investment plans of Rosslare, things could drastically change. It could well mean that if BF get an attractive offer from Rosslare, it could easily be au revoir Cork.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

it could easily be au revoir Cork

And with it my chance of a day trip to the city. I'd better get myself organised. Is Wexford worth a visit? Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

Wexford is a nice little town. But it's more famous for its beaches than its main town.

About 5km just outside the town, there is teh Irish National Heritage park which is a real gem.   

 https://www.irishheritage.ie/?lang=en_ie

Ireland wouldn't be my first choice if I wanted to go on a day trip to the beach, to be honest, unless the views were spectacular of course. However, the park might be a draw. Obviously the real advantage of Rosslare over Cork is the direct rail connection. Do trains run to Waterford as that might be an interesting alternative? Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ireland wouldn't be my first choice if I wanted to go on a day trip to the beach, to be honest, unless the views were spectacular of course. However, the park might be a draw. Obviously the real advantage of Rosslare over Cork is the direct rail connection. Do trains run to Waterford as that might be an interesting alternative? Ed. 

Ah but the trains will improve, it's part of the deal. The beaches can be quite windswept in the autumn & winter which brings it's own interest I suppose but this keeps them clean, they're excellent in the summer.

Rosslare town itself is an ok visit, reminds me of a small Pembrokeshire coastal place. Good beach, good parking and a few decent cafe's. Again Wexford is worth a visit too and nipping up there from Rosslare on the train is easy enough... a nice little pootle along the coast with the train going along the sea front.

Linking the trains to say an overnight mini cruise package especially for footies would offer a decent day excursion to either town especially if it was a vessel more equipped than a Visentini.

From the business end of things, many of the hauliers have gravitated that way over the years, a few of the high profile names have congregate around Rosslare which makes the port attractive for freight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jonno said:

Rosslare is about to have massive investment. New port infrastructure and facilities, improved road and rail links. The port certainly has the berths and the draft... berth 1 can accommodate an E-Flexer & Berth 2 a Superfast.

Could this be an option for BF, fully relocating their Irish links to Rosslare...Port of Cork certainly aren't planning any passenger ferry improvements, It's not on their agenda, what you see is what you get with zero scope for improvement or expansion. Rosslare could leave them in their wake?

A fourth E-flexer could serve Spain & Cherbourg whilst Cap Finistere could off a year round dedicated service to Roscoff.

Maybe this is the answer to the deployment of BF's third e-flexer? As the e-flexer can fit in Rosslare but not Cork, perhaps it is planned that this vessel will run Connemara's rotations but out of Rosslare. Deployment has not been revealed because an agreement hasn't been put in place or they wanted to remain hush? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, georgem7 said:

Maybe this is the answer to the deployment of BF's third e-flexer? As the e-flexer can fit in Rosslare but not Cork, perhaps it is planned that this vessel will run Connemara's rotations but out of Rosslare. Deployment has not been revealed because an agreement hasn't been put in place or they wanted to remain hush? 

I can see that in terms of Spain but that would mean losing the Roscoff rotation Connemara fulfils now. It's why I feel if it were to be the case it would be a fourth AVIC build used as a dedicated Irish - Spanish link. The third E-flexer effectively frees up Cap Finistere to run from Roscoff to Ireland adding another Plymouth visit too if needs be on a permanent basis and having a hybrid fuel system will allow BF to run her scrubber free whilst still meeting emission regs.

Stena said that 8 of the 215m vessels would be built, so far 7 have been announced. Off course Stena may well use No8 to replace Horizon and sail her to Cherbourg.

Edited by jonno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jonno said:

I can see that in terms of Spain but that would mean losing the Roscoff rotation Connemara fulfils now. It's why I feel if it were to be the case it would be a fourth AVIC build used as a dedicated Irish - Spanish link. The third E-flexer effectively frees up Cap Finistere to run from Roscoff to Ireland adding another Plymouth visit too if needs be on a permanent basis and having a hybrid fuel system will allow BF to run her scrubber free whilst still meeting emission regs.

Stena said that 8 of the 215m vessels would be built, so far 7 have been announced. Off course Stena may well use No8 to replace Horizon and sail her to Cherbourg.

Ahh okay, I take it then that the e-flexer won't fit into Roscoff...

So is your thinking that: all three e-flexer's on UK-Spain as well as Pont-Aven? 

If that's the case, my idea can be revised with Cap Finistere used instead of the e-flexer. I don't see BF being able to get a 4th myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...