Andy

Incident involving Pont-Aven 29 April 2019

Plymouth always saves the day, and people come! I don't know why she bothers to go all the way up the channel to Pompey anyway - waste of time & fuel:D

I picked it up from a caravan website with a guy saying he had been offered a sailing on this extra service out of Santander on Thursday on the Cap...Dont know anymore than that

No, Ed - even by using Plymouth rather than Portsmouth as the UK terminus, CF could not do 4 return trips to Spain in a week.

20 minutes ago, David Williams said:

And Brittany Ferries could always copy Ryanair and rename Brest as Santander North.

With just a 700 mile bus shuttle ride connecting the two. Ed. 

32 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

With just a 700 mile bus shuttle ride connecting the two. Ed. 

what facilities will there be for the dogs ???

Except that some people might drive a short distance to the port with the dog at their feet and then put it in a kennel on board and now be faced with a long drive and hotel stay with no easy way of transporting the dog. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

4 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Presumably the same as they had when driving down to the port!

Which, as most motorway service stations now have dog exercise areas, is a dam site more than BF's UK ports! where dog walking, pooping and other doggie activities are strictly forbidden. once through "security". 

If you are a four legged passenger you can of course find a drink,(before security of course)  that  if its rained recently,  thus filling   the sole filthy doggy water bowl, located adjacent to the human toilets up.

If not, then as the saying goes tough S%&T.

Apparently dog travel is on the up! I read it in a club voyage newsletter or 2 ........at least until Brexit anyways. or was that just the prices?

10 hours ago, kenw said:

Thanks, Tony

She may not need to do into dock. I think I've been told in the past that the two most common sources of fire in machinery spaces are lubricants and waste. If the surveyors say that there is no structural damage it may be possible to do repair work alongside. If so, that could save a day or so and a few thousand €€€s.

Health and safety plus SOLAS regs tend to be strictly adhered to particularly in northern waters, waste and oil saturated lagging in the machinery spaces is quite rare and I know that the BF engineers I've met are proud of how shipshape their engine rooms are. 

Fire is always a risk, it's a hot enclosed space with flammable liquids and stuff wears out and it breaks, it's the way of things. The trick is to cut down the risk as much as is practicably possible and have an alert, well drilled response for when the worst may happen. I think this incident proves that BF have good practice in both.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alleeganger10 said:

Which, as most motorway service stations now have dog exercise areas, is a dam site more than BF's UK ports! where dog walking, pooping and other doggie activities are strictly forbidden. once through "security". 

If you are a four legged passenger you can of course find a drink,(before security of course)  that  if its rained recently,  thus filling   the sole filthy doggy water bowl, located adjacent to the human toilets up.

If not, then as the saying goes tough S%&T.

Apparently dog travel is on the up! I read it in a club voyage newsletter or 2 ........at least until Brexit anyways. or was that just the prices?

Sooner or later I bet, these will be the requirement for dogs travelling on public transport - never seen a dog wearing one yet though!

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/simple-solution-disposable-dog-diapers

7 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Sooner or later I bet, these will be the requirement for dogs travelling on public transport - never seen a dog wearing one yet though!

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/simple-solution-disposable-dog-diapers

That's because dogs aren't stupid and despise their owners attempts to anthropomorphise them. Their instant reaction would, I imagine, be to just rip it off with their teeth. Ed

What do you think: it is not possible to book any PA sailings until 13th May, they also do not appear in the timetables anymore. Is this just a precaution from BF or a first indication that PA is definitely not operating until 13th May?

21 minutes ago, Eric_Ireland said:

What do you think: it is not possible to book any PA sailings until 13th May, they also do not appear in the timetables anymore. Is this just a precaution from BF or a first indication that PA is definitely not operating until 13th May?

Welcome to the forum (or madhouse this morning at least). Precautionary, I'd have thought. On the French site the 10/05/19 sailing is still showing as on, but they may not have synchronised everything yet. We are only 24 hours on from the fire so I doubt they want to forecast any return to service for a few days. Last weekend's crossing to Cork was severely disrupted and they've now got to work out how to get people back this weekend too. If they decide to send Armorique across to do the job it will make Gareth really pleaed as I think it's the only port she has not yet visited. Ed

• Like 1

In the timetables the first sailing is now May 12th from Plymouth.  I see the Connemara is not sailing to Roscoff at the beginning of May, is she off or have they changed the sailings?

Something tells me a faint waft of sarcasm was deployed when we were talking about using Plymouth as a Spain hub....

...It managed perfectly well for more than two decades before :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Something tells me a faint waft of sarcasm was deployed when we were talking about using Plymouth as a Spain hub....

...It managed perfectly well for more than two decades before :D

I didn't detect any sarcasm hf_uk - I agree Plymouth is a very good hub for Spain and the crossing to and from Plymouth is very pleasant.  It's just that using Plymouth does not facilitate 4 round trips per week as Ed suggested.

Personally I think BF should operate a 2-ship dedicated service from Plymouth.  This would enable daily crossings each way at the same time each day.  I'd go for 4pm daily, arriving at lunchtime the following day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solo said:

In the timetables the first sailing is now May 12th from Plymouth.  I see the Connemara is not sailing to Roscoff at the beginning of May, is she off or have they changed the sailings?

Early May does correspond to the first anniversary of her entry into service so it might be for an inspection. Ed. 

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I didn't detect any sarcasm hf_uk - I agree Plymouth is a very good hub for Spain and the crossing to and from Plymouth is very pleasant.  It's just that using Plymouth does not facilitate 4 round trips per week as Ed suggested.

Personally I think BF should operate a 2-ship dedicated service from Plymouth.  This would enable daily crossings each way at the same time each day.  I'd go for 4pm daily, arriving at lunchtime the following day.

Absolutely Gareth - the Sunday afternoon Santander departure really is in a class of its' own when it comes to timings... very sociable indeed for eating, sleeping, and arrival time.

Let's hope as you say that one day we may get back to a similar situation with increased rotations:)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

I always thought their mid afternoon departure, arriving at 9am ish the next day was wonderfully civilised. I can't remember the exact times now, but it felt very relaxing whilst giving you the whole day on arrival.

5 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Absolutely Gareth - the Sunday afternoon Santander departure really is in a class of its' own when it comes to timings... very sociable indeed for eating, sleeping, and arrival time.

Let's hope as you say that one day we may get back to a similar situation with increased rotations:)

Agreed, I know the A38 and it's issues but there's something about driving down the M5 through Somerset & Devon, seeing directions to Teignmouth, Torquay & Paignton creates a holiday feel I has as a kid, Poole is the same.

Southampton and Portsmouth cunjure images of industry, places I associate with more as an adult.

• Like 2

you`ve usually plenty of time, in the summer especially weekends, to remember old times as you sit in one of their regular jams..Its the main reason I would`nt consider Plymouth sadly.

Edited by Paully

Never had a problem travelling down to Plymouth for Pont’s Sunday departure to Santander.  That sailing has a “start of holiday” summer feel factor like no other BF sailing.  I’d rather sail through Plymouth than Portsmouth any time.

• Like 2

I notice that bookings from Cork to Roscoff and vive versa are not bookable 'til May 24th/25th. Does this imply that the Pont Aven will be out of service until then?