Andy

Incident involving Pont-Aven 29 April 2019

1 minute ago, cvabishop said:

Well, that explains the vibration. Maybe the engine threw a con rod or something similar with a consequential fire. BF will have to decide if they can carry on with three until the winter or take her out of service.

As the ship is basically overpowered for normal service they might deide to carry on.

On Twitter they are still saying she will be back in service around the middle of the month so they must be hoping that they can run her on just the 3 engines for the time being. Ed. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

On Twitter they are still saying she will be back in service around the middle of the month so they must be hoping that they can run her on just the 3 engines for the time being. Ed. 

If there was any truth that she would miss the summer, I think that BF would have done another press release by now.

Perhaps Jonno can tell us whether her engines are bespoke units or off-the-shelf models and if replacements are still likely to be available. Ed. 

If this fact that one engine is damaged beyond repair, BF must be anxious to find out what happened. I may be wrong but I was told that a total of 8 engines of this type are installed on 3 members of the fleet. 4No on PA, 2No on Arm and 2No on Cotentin.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

If there was any truth that she would miss the summer, I think that BF would have done another press release by now.

They wouldn’t do that until they were 100 % certain just now it’s still just a possibility.

The social media team are excellent but are only as good as the operational information they are given.

Edited by neilcvx

It is not uncommon for cruise ships to run with engines out of service. One of the advantages of diesel electric propulsion is the redundancy margin it provides, not just in case of breakdowns but for in service maintenance. But PA is not diesel electric and doesn't have that flexibility.

It seems that each propeller is directly connected to two engines, either of which can presumably be taken out of gear as required so if the ship continues in service there will be more power available on one side than the other if one prop is only driven by a single engine.

Obviously, as Crechbleiz says, BF will need to find out what caused the damage but it is not necessarilly an inherent defect with the engine type and maybe just a one off failure.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

They wouldn’t do that until they were 100 % certain just now it’s still just a possibility.

The social media team are excellent but are only as good as the operational information they are given.

Absolutely!

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps Jonno can tell us whether her engines are bespoke units or off-the-shelf models and if replacements are still likely to be available. Ed. 

Sorry Ed,  but I've gone in to the use of mixed fuels, scrubbers, sulphuric acid and the corrosive damage it does together with the internally explosive risks involved in switching them over on numerous occasions since 2015.

Anyway.. her engines were standard and also designed to run on LNG with a little fettling, same for Armorique and MSM. The real question is what tomfoolery took place in order to retro fit non marine land designed very heavy bespoke industrial scrubbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

If she has to run on reduced power would it pay to operate from Plymouth and maybe let the Armorique do the Cork sailings with the Pont covering Roscoff at the weekends.

• Like 2

Whilst this is of much interest on here I do feel sorry for BF having been confronted with a difficult situation as the holiday season approaches but no doubt they will rise to the occasion as usual. I bet they are wishing that Cotentin had been built as a twin to Armorique given the versatility of that vessel but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

• Like 3

She has 4 main engines and usually only uses one for propulsion which leaves another 2 and the gen sets for auxiliary, main & onboard power. She's not exactly crippled by any means. She could lose another and still be fit for purpose. I wouldn't be surprised  if the only reason she's being kept out of service is due to the incident investigation and root cause analysis.

She has 4 main engines and usually only uses one for propulsion

So are you saying that the ship normally uses only one propeller at a time in service? According to the builder data each prop is coupled to two engines physically and either one or both can be run as required.

When going at normal speed both props are used but some times at slower speeds looking over the stern it seems only one is being used.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

So are you saying that the ship normally uses only one propeller at a time in service? According to the builder data each prop is coupled to two engines physically and either one or both can be run as required.

Ah so she's a 2+2 configuration, so she'll lose the capability of both, fair enough. Interesting considering each engine alone has the ability to propel her at 21kts.

The LAB scrubber design is different to the Yara maritime systems on the older ships, for instance Normandie has 4 engines and 3 gen sets, she has 7 open loop scrubbers one for each. Pont Aven only has 4 closed loop scrubbers as the gen sets are fed into the corresponding engine's unit. Purging is done individually which may suggest her engines have been reconfigured. It also means she stores waste sulphur solids onboard which may well answer the question as to why passengers were ushered to muster stations so readily.

51 minutes ago, Solo said:

When going at normal speed both props are used but some times at slower speeds looking over the stern it seems only one is being used.

@Solo  you'll probably know more about this... I was told that PA often runs on one shaft and the other prop is feathered and spins freely, not so?

Depending on th damage I would imagine that she will still have three engines available as the affected one could be taken out of gear. It must actually cost a fair bit lugging all that unused machinery around on normal service though.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

you'll probably know more about this... I was told that PA often runs on one shaft and the other prop is feathered and spins freely, not so?

No don't know anything as a fact, just looking over the stern you can see when one or both props are being used.

• Thanks 1

I have just joined up as I am on my first trip fro Cork to Roscoff on Pont Aven. Sadly that trip is now in some disarray as the fire has taken us onto the Amorique so no relaxing restaurant but a mad dash to the self service along with everyone else as the delayed departure time is now much later at 21.30.  I have been using the Ir**h Ferries enthusiasts forum as I was on regular trips on Innishmore and Ulysees but those days are over as we will be using the Cork to France route more now. My claim to fame would be my last trip on the W B Yeats when it was on its maiden voyage on UK run. I was the first to use the Club lounge with only 4 of us in the whole place. It  was really good quality all round - very impressed and well worth the extra for those facilities.

Our new ticket suggests the PontAven will be used on the return on 17th May but going by you guys that may not actually happen. No reduction for the lesser facilities but hey ho. I may have gone for a better cabin had I known we will likely spend more time in it than planned.

I will be keeping an eye on news here.

I have no idea what replacing an engine would entail. However, should Pont Aven be out of service for the bulk of the summer season, would Brittany Ferries charter a temporary vessel in order to cope with demand?

Hi there, had a booking on the 22nd May Santander to Plymouth and had to change it to the 29th so just phoned Plymouth and have been told the Pont Aven is going to be back in service on the 12th May. They said the damaged engine is being repaired and the engine room needs to be cleaned up.

Don’t hold me to it or shoot the messenger if it doesn’t happen!

Nick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would think that`s likely..A new one would have to be built from scratch and fitting it would be a major undertaking as well..Early part of next year seems a reasonable time frame.

Correct. It'll take 8 weeks to remove and replace the engine but the time to get one made and delivered is quite long so it will be done sometime in 2020. They don't, as yet, know which shipyard will do the work. In the meantime she can run quite safely on just three engines, as had already been pointed out. Ed. 

• Like 1

Has anyone found out the name of the Commandant and Chief Engineer in command on this voyage..He/she did a great job..fire extinguished, crew knew what they were doing, well led and trained..no panic..well done whoever they were..