Andy

Incident involving Pont-Aven 29 April 2019

2 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Be interesting to see how this affects next years timetable.

What’s your thinking Neil?

I doubt it will cause much disruption if they do the swap at the right time. Option 1: Bretagne can just stay in service longer than usual rather than being laid up in Le Havre. They can perhaps send her to a yard in early November, at the start of the new timetable period, and might have her back for the Christmas and New Year cruises but it could be tight. Option 2: So, alternatively, they wait until early January when Plymouth shuts down, and send her then and use Armorique as a stand-in. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

Just to add to the above, it all perhaps depends on when MSM is due to have her refit. And when they can get their hands on Honfleur. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Just to add to the above, it all perhaps depends on when MSM is due to have her refit. Ed. 

She’s not off in the Autumn, so I’d be very surprised if MSM’s refit was anything other than immediatey after New Year.

Nothing to stop Pont Aven going off at the same time of course - as you say, BF can just keep Bretagne in service at St Malo.  But I’d have thought BF would probably want to get Pont Aven fixed sooner than that, if they can.

13 minutes ago, Gareth said:

But I’d have thought BF would probably want to get Pont Aven fixed sooner than that, if they can.

Me too. So a reworking of the usual timetables would be on the cards but any delay does put the Xmas and New Year cruises in doubt. Ed. 

I would suspect November  ish , it’s quiteish and gives them time to get everything in place , no Xmas or New year cruise I suspect that’s not a priority but of course BF like to surprise us.

Watching this video, I get the impression that it's quite a difficult process. The ferries are obviously designed to allow the engines to be removed if needed but the hope is they never have to. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwjSj7vsu4HiAhVROhoKHZ1dAVEQwqsBMAB6BAgGEAU&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

She’s not off in the Autumn, so I’d be very surprised if MSM’s refit was anything other than immediatey after New Year.

I think you'll find 'Mont St Michel' is due for refit in January 2020 with 'Barfleur' in February 2020. It would make sense to reduce the time 'Bretagne' is laid-up as @Cabin-boy rightly said.

Watching this video, I get the impression that it's quite a difficult process

Nah Ed, easy peasy - it only takes just over 12 minutes ....:D

Chris

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I think you'll find 'Mont St Michel' is due for refit in January 2020 with 'Barfleur' in February 2020. It would make sense to reduce the time 'Bretagne' is laid-up as @Cabin-boy rightly said.

I think you’ll find that’s basically what I said! 😉

I am surprised that marine insurance covers a passenger ship running with one engine missing. Imagine that for a plane. 

13 minutes ago, wortley said:

I am surprised that marine insurance covers a passenger ship running with one engine missing. Imagine that for a plane. 

Especially a vessel that is predominantly used in Biscay.

They are installed in two banks of two in separate engine rooms, as I understand it, and can run linked, individually or in parallel depending on the need. So there is always a backup option (as proved on Monday, allowing her to reach Brest under her own power) and maintenance can be carried out while underway. As long as one engine has enough power to satisfy the insurers then I assume any extra is at the discretion of the operator. Ed. 

Back to timetables, if PA is running with one less engine, it will be interesting to see whether it can cope with this years timetable or whether it will need modification.

16 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Back to timetables, if PA is running with one less engine, it will be interesting to see whether it can cope with this years timetable or whether it will need modification.

Unless I’m mistaken the only sailing where she puts in any effort anywhere near her capacity is the Sunday morning Roscoff/Plymouth sailing and even then she should manage that no bother with 3 engines I would have thought. 

1 hour ago, wortley said:

They fly planes across the Atlantic with only 2 engines now.

Several times over the years, never in challenging conditions, we have been delayed returning from Santander to Portsmouth. The reason has always been given as, 'adverse currents in Biscay'. If adverse currents can delay Pont Aven for up to three hours in calm conditions when it has the capacity to use four engines, surely we will be looking at considerable disruption to the running schedule until repairs are completed.

• Haha 1

There may also be the factor that if they miss the PA's berthing slot in Portsmouth due to a late departure from Santander by one hour then they can't get in for another two due to other ships in the port so that then results in a three-hour delay. The 'adverse currents' message might just be a diversionary excuse. Ed. 

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

There are no currents (of any note) in Biscay!

Only repeating what our reason for delays have been given in the past. However I think you'd find plenty of adverse currents around the Fromveur Passage!