19 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Gluten free is a tough one for bread cakes are easy enough to make gluten free bread not so easy the wife made some the other day and she said it smelt like a sweaty French mans backside.

How did she know?

16 minutes ago, Bassman said:

How did she know?

Standing in line at the bakery in Libourne when it was 42 degrees surrounded by French men.

• Like 1

Well no matter how you slice it as long as it's spelt correctly we should all understand .

• Haha 1

Right thats it stop buttering me up - I am starting to get cheesed of with this thread, it is becoming a right pain in the ham!

If you are wondering where I am - I am moving to Breading!!

Ok and all yolking apart........how do you guys actually live with French bread??..personally I`m no fan.Its starts to go hard just after you`ve bought it and by the late afternoon, all its fit for is use as a rounders bat!!.At best its the same hard consistency as the triangular rolls on the Bretagne. I can`t think of anything worse than having to have a trip to the `shops` before you can breakfast..On our last trip we benchmarked the local boulangerie by trying their pain au raisin, a favourite of ours and they all tasted like they were 2 days old. 

Best P a R (and we brought some back home) was a `Greggs` type place in the concourse of the St Malo Intermache shopping centre on the way back to the port. They were delicious and worth a divert to get some..

Ok tin hat on awaiting incoming😬🤣

.  The best keeping bread seems to be Pain Complet (wholemeal loaf) which is usally good for a few days if kept in a poly bag.  If you keep the white French bread or baguette in a poly bag (or wrap it in cling film) it will go soft rather than rock hard.  Then if you prefer it you can get it back to something like the original if you lightly wet the crust and give it a few minutes in the oven

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

I just buy it and eat it, no problem.....

ok fine,but that means you have to go out twice a day to buy it......

11 minutes ago, Paully said:

The Pan complet sounds like the real deal..so we`ll go with that.........hope Lidl sell it 🤣😋

Edited by Paully

ok fine,but that means you have to go out twice a day to buy it.....

I only have it for breakfast... We buy filled baguettes for lunch.

Edited by cvabishop

5 hours ago, Chef said:

Plus with the bread roll situation this year it has to be the worse so far .

Yes, the situation is now at baking point. 😁 Ed. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Angel said:

.  The best keeping bread seems to be Pain Complet (wholemeal loaf) which is usally good for a few days if kept in a poly bag.  If you keep the white French bread or baguette in a poly bag (or wrap it in cling film) it will go soft rather than rock hard.  Then if you prefer it you can get it back to something like the original if you lightly wet the crust and give it a few minutes in the oven

We were sold similar at the market in St Servan a few years ago with the promise that if we kept it in the brown paper bag supplied it would keep well for five days. It did. The typical baguette size these days resulted I was told from a 1920s law that prohibited bakers from working between 10 pm and 4 am  meaning they had to produce something that could be cooked ready for the very earliest customers of the day. I don't know if this law is still in place

Edited by Millsy

At the risk of bringing this Thread away from humour.

And back onto track....

We are currently on MSM for the D-Day celebrations, and Triangular Rolls are very much in evidence.

1 hour ago, alleeganger10 said:

We are currently on MSM for the D-Day celebrations, and Triangular Rolls are very much in evidence.

Perhaps the triangular rolls are just a pre-D-day special with the three corners representing the AXIS powers and next week they'll be replaced by good traditional British floury baps and US burger buns. 

Ed. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps the triangular rolls are just a pre-D-day special with the three corners representing the AXIS powers and next week they'll be replaced by good traditional British floury baps and US burger buns. 

Ed. 

And presumably they are meant to be eaten in the same way that the Allies advanced in Normandy

And presumably they are meant to be eaten in the same way that the Allies advanced in Normandy

Carried in their bedrolls you mean?

30 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Carried in their bedrolls you mean?

Bedrolls.......I thought you said Breadrolls..🤣

• Haha 1

A member here who is a friend of mine on Facebook says there are no triangular bread rolls on Bretagne, they are on her today.  I asked! 

So it seems some of the fleet and not others then.