Can confirm that. Arrived in St Malo this morning on Bretagne.  my 112th crossing, Round rolls in La Baule self service last night, torpedo rolls in Les Abers at breakfast this morning.

But, somewhere aboard the Bretagne there is a pastry chef working  wonders !  

As well as the usual bread and croissants and chocolate cake there were madeleines, apple sponge cake, Breton Far with prunes and mini crepes with Nutella ! 

Has anyone asked officially where the triangular rolls have gone ? Do you think they have been phased out because  BF's Management Consultants have banned them ?

I will try to get an answer on the return crossing. 😊

Edited by BZH29
omitted fact !

11 hours ago, Gareth said:

BZH29 are you Brigitte's friend?

Mrs Macron ?   no, I don't know any Brigittes.     I was just commenting on Chef's contribution to the Great Breton Bake Off.

5 hours ago, BZH29 said:

Mrs Macron ?   no, I don't know any Brigittes.     I was just commenting on Chef's contribution to the Great Breton Bake Off.

Brigitte is my name - they are referring to me, lol!

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Ah, excellent - Mrs Macaroon.  Good one! 😀

Unfortunately I am a different shape to her, albeit a bit younger, I have unfotunately not been blessed in middle age with the same figure.  Brigitte Bardot, non either...

Can’t think of barrel shaped Brigittes...🤣

Back on topic...

Here are the little darlings on Normandie this afternoon....

FW Tasting note: ( in my trade it’s sight, smell, taste)

Sight - Round and unevenly dumpy, varying degree of colour, no obvious burning

Smell - The senses are overpowered by hints of brioche, ripe wheat and delicate yeast aromas

Taste - A soft, yielding middle underpinned by a delicate saltiness, with a chewy end bit and a satisfying crunch on the outside

Eat now or within the next 2 hours, great with good company and perfect when dunked in the « Soup of the day »

Enjoy!

Chris

8F5DD7AE-263B-44A9-A36A-C214A17B7620.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The ones on our Poole friend are oblong - very nice too, very pleasant.  Bought a couple of those butter pots to take home, that is just so moorish, on the way to Point Du Hoc today we passed the Isigny butter factory, huge sprawling place.  Wish we’d had time to stop off and see if there was a factory shop, that is for next time as we were cutting it fine for time coming back.  That butter is just so lovely.

2F510D31-AF23-4038-AAFF-90CD5C20F0BA.jpeg

Had them on MSM on Friday a vast improvement on the tough triangles, also noticed they had gluten free rolls but according to the Mrs they were as hard as rocks, she didn’t have one they are individuals wrapped so no cross contamination.

6 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Had them on MSM on Friday a vast improvement on the tough triangles, also noticed they had gluten free rolls but according to the Mrs they were as hard as rocks, she didn’t have one they are individuals wrapped so no cross contamination.

My missus has coeliac so always asks for the rolls, they tend to take around 5-10 mins to arrive after being nuked in their packets.

1 minute ago, jonno said:

My missus has coeliac so always asks for the rolls, they tend to take around 5-10 mins to arrive after being nuked in their packets.

They were sitting on a trolley next to the rest of the bread and pastries, the Mrs makes her own spelt bread which isn’t gluten free but is low fodmap which is another kettle of fish .

• Like 1

I didn’t realise you could buy the butter in Sainsbury’s.  Apparently it is made with raw milk, never new that, expect that is what gives it that special taste.

Changing the subject slightly to the new confectionary they have on board in the shops.  I did my customary visit to Barfleur’s shop to load up with biscuits and noticed a few new ranges.  I bought some raspberry palmiers and they are lovely, stuffed myself with a whole box while sitting outside - they were classed as pudding to me!  There are, if I remember, salted caramel versions as well, which I must try next time.  There is a fair bit of new stuff they are selling.  Those Emmental cheese portions - I can feel myself buying some Emmental today as I have to go to the post trip M&S visit...

Edited by Khaines

You are right about the unpasteurised milk in the butter. If buying cheese, always try and go for any cheese that is 'au lait cru'. Some English cheddars are also made with such milk - my Somerset heritage tells me to look out for Montgomery's or those made  by the Ducketts (Westcombe Dairy). Unfortunately, not cheap, but for a treat . . . 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rogerpatenall said:

You are right about the unpasteurised milk in the butter. If buying cheese, always try and go for any cheese that is 'au lait cru'. Some English cheddars are also made with such milk - my Somerset heritage tells me to look out for Montgomery's or those made  by the Ducketts (Westcombe Dairy). Unfortunately, not cheap, but for a treat . . . 

From Livarot near Camembert.7390EC39-0EDC-4CC8-B6A3-4CE5D6C2AE82.thumb.jpeg.2926d33467a2d73a70cdec4266843a0e.jpeg90F076F6-CCCC-4D89-A942-43D21B856193.thumb.jpeg.c09d876903a73265d9152e481f3bf004.jpegCD4740DE-B76F-4A8C-9085-1DB822777B2E.thumb.jpeg.bd4f56508461057bc84d0c51f7b2b23d.jpeg

• Like 1