Gareth

Armorique Making History

I know we have already discussed this in the threads relating to Pont Aven’s fire, but I wanted to put this into its own thread.  Partly because it deserves it and partly to increase BF’s chances if seeing it in the hope that they commemorate the event in some way.

Armorique has just left Roscoff, destination Cork.  When she arrives at Cork later, she will become the first vessel in BF history to visit all 11 BF ports in commercial service for the company.

Such a versatile, under-rated and over-criticised ferry, this is some achievement and deseves marking.  Maybe BF can even arrange for her to dress overall for arrival in Cork (if it is not dark).

• Like 3

I doubt it’s something that BF would want to  commemorate/advertise openly...

“One of our ferries has had a fire, so we moved the fleet around & now Armorique is now visiting Cork....  Sorry that you all will miss out on the Facilities of The flagship & that many  have had cabin downgrades, with altered timetable & the final cherry on the cake is the inferior dining facilities but hey, forget all of that... this ship has now visited every port in the companies route network” 

> I guess it’s just a BFE point of interest.... Although ships like DA, Quiberon & Tregastel  had visited “all” ports along the BF network (during their time) when the company had fewer routes  compared to today, so; I guess they were all “historic” during their moment of time, I guess the only vessels that don’t move a great deal around the network during refit season are the Portsmouth-Caen ferries ...

(A hunch, Maybe When Bretagne first visited Poole, meant she had visited all routes BF had at that period of time, as I think Bilbao & Du Havre wasn’t part of BF’s route history at that moment of time??) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daves_pad! said:

I doubt it’s something that BF would want to  commemorate/advertise openly...

It is also saying that we are quite happy to remove Plymouth Roscoff crossings at a moments notice, I am sure that they were happy to be paid under the Brexit cancellation before dropping them !

• Sad 1

Gareth, you may need to have your own little party to celebrate. But don't worry, I'll crack open a bottle of Perrier over here if it makes you feel any better. 😉 Ed. 

12 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Gareth, you may need to have your own little party to celebrate. But don't worry, I'll crack open a bottle of Perrier over here if it makes you feel any better. 😉 Ed. 

Thanks Ed - appreciate you pushing the boat out! 😀

On the subject of the dining facilities, I wonder how feasible it would be to set part of the self-service dining area up as a temporary restaurant and run an improvised a la carte service when she deputises on Spanish and Irish routes.  Apart from the need to ship in extra staff and food, what would be the logistical obstacles?  (Clearly a buffet would not be viable, but CF doesn’t have one of those in any case).

Wasn't it designed with that in mind, the starboard side could be divided off.

10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Thanks Ed - appreciate you pushing the boat out! 😀

On the subject of the dining facilities, I wonder how feasible it would be to set part of the self-service dining area up as a temporary restaurant and run an improvised a la carte service when she deputises on Spanish and Irish routes.  Apart from the need to ship in extra staff and food, what would be the logistical obstacles?  (Clearly a buffet would not be viable, but CF doesn’t have one of those in any case).

The dining room bit would be the easy part I suspect it depends the size of the kitchen I suspect it’s just big enough to do it’s current job and no more, I can’t see her ever having a restaurant temporarily or otherwise.

Whilst she is making history in respect of ports served, she has not (yet) served on every historic route of the company.

I don’t recall whether she has served the Plymouth-Santander route (although somebody may be able to tell me if she has).  But, of current routes operated, she has definitely not served Cork-Santander and to the best of my knowledge (but I might be wrong on this) she has not sailed between Poole and Santander.

Of the historic discontinued BF routes, she has operated between Plymouth ans St Malo (quite regularly), and I’m pretty sure she has done a commercial Portsmouth - Roscoff passage.  But she never sailed on the old Duchesse Anne routes Poole-St Malo and Cork-St Malo.

40 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Armorique just finishing her rounding of Land’s End now.  New territory for her. 😀

I think she did do berthing trials in Cork so has at least sailed those waters before. Ed. 

Armorique’s passage today is doing something that (in devising timetables) I’ve often thought possible, but I’m not sure whether it’s been done before.  Is this the first ever crossing between France and Eire that has been done as a day crossing?

Another point of interest will be berthing mode.  I’ve long suggested that berthing stern first in Ringaskiddy is preferred...but then again, Armorique berths stern-first in Roscoff.....

Might they have reversed everyone on this morning, or turned the vehicles around once on board, to simplify the job? Ed. 

3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Or she may be about to blow my theory about Cork out of the water! 🤣

Let's hope so. I don't want to waste a good bottle of Perrier for nothing. Ed. 😀 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Armorique’s passage today is doing something that (in devising timetables) I’ve often thought possible, but I’m not sure whether it’s been done before.  Is this the first ever crossing between France and Eire that has been done as a day crossing?

I think Pont-Aven did one leg as a day crossing during her first season (2004) 

Edited by georgem7

1 minute ago, scarlton said:

Armorique was bow first in Roscoff this morning after being stern first in Plymouth last night.

.....and looks to be berthing stern-first in Cork.  A deliberate decision so looks like I am vindicated!  Cheers Ed.....! 🥂 

Scheduled for 21: 30 hrs departure, that's an hour and a half turn around time , is that realistic .

A beautiful evening. We didn't hang around as ferry traffic would be mad.

IMG_20190504_195322.jpg

IMG_20190504_194651.jpg

IMG_20190504_195009.jpg

Edited by des
Words
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, Chef said:

Scheduled for 21: 30 hrs departure, that's an hour and a half turn around time , is that realistic .

Doable