Gareth

Armorique Making History

Might be a bit tight (and especially as both scheduled and actual arrival was not until 2030, so turnround is actually only an hour.  She usually has an hour and three quarters at Plymouth, so I suspect she will be a little after 2130 before she gets away.

Good that she’s doing this at this stage of the season.  With a full load at the height of summer I doubt she’d cope, but with the lighter loadings at this time of year and the excess of provision on the Plymouth-Roscoff route at the moment (courtesy HMG) this is an important PR decision.  Last time PA was out of action, Irish traffic was basically abandoned (with some of it professing that it will not return faced with such unreliability).  Even though we now have Connemara in the equation, this was an important PR exercise for BF and good on them for doing it while they could.

45 minutes ago, des said:

A beautiful evening. We didn't hang around as ferry traffic would be mad.

Thanks for sharing with us on Twitter too Des.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, des said:

A beautiful evening. We didn't hang around as ferry traffic would be mad.

IMG_20190504_195322.jpg

IMG_20190504_194651.jpg

IMG_20190504_195009.jpg

Beautiful photos, thanks Des.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Gareth, you may need to have your own little party to celebrate. But don't worry, I'll crack open a bottle of Perrier over here if it makes you feel any better. 😉 Ed. 

Seconded with Irn bru staring out over south Walsham broad.

• Like 2

And Armorique certainly isn't hanging about doing this crossing - 23.1 knots this morning. That extra turn of speed when needed is just another demonstration of her versatility. 

• Like 2

I think she’s demonstrated that this crossing can pretty much be completed in 12 hours if necessary (and on a flat sea).

Going stern-in at Roscoff this morning.  So back to normal for the time being.

I was slightly surprised at Scarlton’s observation yesterday that she had been bow-in at Roscoff before departure to Cork.  I have some recollection from previously (was it when she bashed the stern into the linkspan?) that Armorique had difficulty berthing bow-in at Roscoff.  Something to do with heights - ramp height, or was it something to do with clearance of the ramp bridge?  Or something to do with the state of tide at the time?

Of course, since then we have had the damage to, and subsequent repair of, the Roscoff linkspan.  So maybe the new arrangements enable easier bow-in berthing there for Armorique?

Anyway, an interesting (and significant) little excursion for her this weekend.  Back  to normal for now, though I suspect there will be at least one more little trip to Cork for her before Pont Aven returns to service.

Last couple of times I've been over she has been stern in at Plymouth and Roscoff, turning vehicles onboard, so no need to berth bow in for loading for Cork.

I agree.  Stern in at Plymouth is not uncommon for her (with the consequent need to turn round on board).  Bow in at Roscoff is very unusual, which is why I was surprised Scarlton said she was.

Another excellent picture.  Great that so many of our Irish members were down at the harbour with cameras to capture the occasion.  Thanks guys. 😀

• Like 1

On 05/05/2019 at 10:18, Gareth said:

Going stern-in at Roscoff this morning.  So back to normal for the time being.

I was slightly surprised at Scarlton’s observation yesterday that she had been bow-in at Roscoff before departure to Cork.  I have some recollection from previously (was it when she bashed the stern into the linkspan?) that Armorique had difficulty berthing bow-in at Roscoff.  Something to do with heights - ramp height, or was it something to do with clearance of the ramp bridge?  Or something to do with the state of tide at the time?

Of course, since then we have had the damage to, and subsequent repair of, the Roscoff linkspan.  So maybe the new arrangements enable easier bow-in berthing there for Armorique?

Anyway, an interesting (and significant) little excursion for her this weekend.  Back  to normal for now, though I suspect there will be at least one more little trip to Cork for her before Pont Aven returns to service.

Might well of been following the "bump". I remember wondering why they didn't just re-berth the ship, when I was onboard during the accident, and I assumed the linkspan couldn't accommodate it. Roscoff Linkspan is now a different configuration to it previously, according to a chap I spoke to onboard when I went over at Easter.  I still expect it'll be the traditional bow door into Plymouth and stern into Roscoff. Although, stern into Plymouth is far from uncommon, as mentioned. 

On 06/05/2019 at 19:40, shar^k said:

Think I was taking photos at the same spot Des!

7B686D28-266B-4063-ACD0-8A49DBCBD9F5.jpeg

Snap ! I noticed someone else taking pics alright and was wondering if it was a welcome party or an enthusiast.

• Like 1

Although a beautiful shot... hopefully the last time to be seen in Cork for at least a little while!:) Plymouth has lost 3 complete weekend Roscoff rotations to facilitate that hasn't she?

(am I correct in thinking there was no Friday night sailing from Plymouth?)