Gareth

Armorique Making History

That’s fewer rotations per week than Plymouth has gained courtesy HMG.  So I really don’t think Plymouth can complain - good, creative thinking by BF that did the right thing by both customer bases.

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Armorique is bow-in at Roscoff today (after arrival back from Cork).

That answers the previous question of whether she was unable to, or just preferred not to go Bow into Roscoff. 

36 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That’s fewer rotations per week than Plymouth has gained courtesy HMG.  So I really don’t think Plymouth can complain - good, creative thinking by BF that did the right thing by both customer bases.

No I quite understand you Gareth, but the extra HMG/Brexit sailings could be considered unnecessary, underused or departing at irrelevant times. Plymouth is doing fine this year yes, which is nice as sometimes people do comment that it seems to be the first to be neglected - and of course has now been bolstered further by PA rescheduling, but the point I was making before was that it was a whole weekend essentially (48 hour period at least) which was lost each time, which at this time of year is always reasonably busy and would probably have put quite a lot of people out both South & Northbound...

It's not been the whole weekend, just 36hr, from arrival in Roscoff on Saturday morning to departure on Sunday afternoon.  Plus of course the loss of the PA sailing on Sunday mornings.

The thing is that BF have decided that this time round it's worth satisfying their Irish passengers (and French tourists travelling to Ireland) whereas the last time PA was out of service they simply let people use the landbridge option. Why the change of strategy? Perhaps they have seen an increase in bookings since the Oscar Wilde was removed from the IF fleet and are now hopeful of the long term demand. If I'm right that would explain why they consider providing a minimum service to Cork a higher priority. Ed

9 minutes ago, Solo said:

It's not been the whole weekend, just 36hr, from arrival in Roscoff on Saturday morning to departure on Sunday afternoon.  Plus of course the loss of the PA sailing on Sunday mornings.

Yes I forgot that. So I would imagine the sailing due into Plymouth tonight would be fairly busy, having had to mop up 2 cancelled Arm and 1 cancelled PA sailings!

9 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The thing is that BF have decided that this time round it's worth satisfying their Irish passengers (and French tourists travelling to Ireland) whereas the last time PA was out of service they simply let people use the landbridge option. Why the change of strategy? Perhaps they have seen an increase in bookings since the Oscar Wilde was removed from the IF fleet and are now hopeful of the long term demand. If I'm right that would explain why they consider providing a minimum service to Cork a higher priority. Ed

I do find it a little odd too... because now they also have Connemara running - so unlike in the past, it's not as if the Irish link was severed completely...

1 minute ago, hf_uk said:

I do find it a little odd too... because now they also have Connemara running - so unlike in the past, it's not as if the Irish link was severed completely...

No, but if BF are selling packages with accommodation then the arrival and departure dates are critical. Ed. 

It may also be that the Irish appear to be prepared to pay eye watering prices for their crossings, due to a lack of competition..Maybe the wedge they make on the Cork run is well worth it..