In September 1982, a group of us sailed from Plymouth to Roscoff in September. We'd arrived from Wales by bus in the evening, and promptly settled down for a few drinks(The sailing was the following morning). We'd intended to sleep in the terminal, but when we arrived late at night, we were turned away by an armed soldier who said that the ferry port was military property, and that it was closed until the following morning. We then had to sleep in a car park, rather off putting for the regular customers who turned up, made their excuses, and left. It was a time when a lot of ships were returning from the Falklands, and Plymouth was full of very busy redcaps.

I've crossed from Plymouth dozens of times since, but I've never considered where the entrance to the port was then. Was it the same place, or was it closer to Stonehouse barracks ? .

Edited by Gareth
Edited Title

My memory is telling me something similar - of using an exit from Millbay by the old west gate into Artillery Street near the  Artillery Arms pub. But I'm not a true Plymothian - where are the real Janners when needed for a question like this? 

One is not a janner... but I do know that the continued closure of those gates you mention is stipulated by the military who have bases on the surrounding land. I heard when the MOD leaves that areas for redevelopment (was 2022, but now later I think), the gate would be opened again,to use for access and a public thoroughfare to Royal William yard etc....

I have personally witnessed many people following sat nav directions on foot trying to get through to no avail.... it is quite a trudge to go back to the end and all the way round the upper wall.