Sign in to follow this  
Matt73

Cap Finistere

1 minute ago, scarlton said:

The second linkspan is used for cruise ship tenders. But as has been said, is too small for anything else.

....and no longer has any mooring piles alongside it!  (Which makes berthing impossible unless going for the Mediterranean approach!).

2 hours ago, Solo said:

I think Gareth got mixed up there.  It was the original link span in Plymouth, wasn't there something on here a few years ago saying that the Royal Marines have used it at times?

If the PA came to Plymouth full time it would be to service Spain and Cork, not replace Armorique.

But with E-Flexers serving Spain, will it still be required for that route? Galcia and Salamanca, in addition to CF and the economy ferries. 

16 minutes ago, MichaelBF said:

But with E-Flexers serving Spain, will it still be required for that route? Galcia and Salamanca, in addition to CF and the economy ferries. 

She could do her normal trip to Spain from Plymouth and do extra sailings to Cork if BF see trade growing that way post Brexit

I would have thought that Pont Aven being the only decent true cruise ferry of the lot she'll definitely stay on Spanish routes. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

I would have thought that Pont Aven being the only decent true cruise ferry of the lot she'll definitely stay on Spanish routes. 

It will be interesting to see what happens when the 3rd Eflexer arrives, personally I think Bretagne will go and Pont Aven will replace her I don’t think there will be another new ship after that for a while , but BF are full of surprises.

20 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

It will be interesting to see what happens when the 3rd Eflexer arrives, personally I think Bretagne will go and Pont Aven will replace her I don’t think there will be another new ship after that for a while , but BF are full of surprises.

What happens with Plymouth Spain then? The only answer would be the Cap, would give me a chance to finally go on her.

12 hours ago, Gareth said:

....and no longer has any mooring piles alongside it!  (Which makes berthing impossible unless going for the Mediterranean approach!).

Does anyone know what were the last ships to use it? I can remember seeing an old photo a long time ago of two BF ships moored side by side!

2 minutes ago, Solo said:

What happens with Plymouth Spain then? The only answer would be the Cap, would give me a chance to finally go on her.

That’s the solution if they still provide a service on that route , I don’t know what’s going to happen no one knows on here for sure probably BF don’t even know yet.

When you think about it BF have a problem, a ship that needs replacing soon, Bretagne, and the only obvious replacement is to big for the route, unless of course they can grow the route with an improved offering.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Solo said:

When you think about it BF have a problem, a ship that needs replacing soon, Bretagne, and the only obvious replacement is to big for the route, unless of course they can grow the route with an improved offering.

Yep I suspect the prospect of a third Eflexer was to good an opportunity to pass up even if it didn’t suit them 100% at the time , you wonder if even running Pont at less than full capacity might be a solution for them even if it’s not ideal. 

19 hours ago, MichaelBF said:

Pont Aven to Plymouth I think is possible, following the arrival of the e-flexers. What happens with Armorique will be interesting! Perfect for Plymouth-Roscoff but incredibly versatile vessel, I wonder if she might get shifted up to a Portsmouth route more permanently.

The issue with Armorique, is that unlike Cotentin - her upper deck is limited to passenger vehicles. She cannot take freight upstairs. I think that is one of the main reasons she has not gone to Portsmouth already personally:)

43 minutes ago, Eriba-ist said:

Have been following this thread as we make two return journeys every year on the Cap.  'E-Flexers' - that had me scratching my head, having never heard the term before. However, a quick search revealed all.  YLSNED!  :)

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-names-new-ships-galicia-and-salamanca/

Plus another as yet unnamed one.

Edited by neilcvx
  • Thanks 1

E-Flexers = Newer, Bigger, Greener, Slower Cap Finistere's :)

(each of course with their own unique charm and character) 

Edited by hf_uk
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

I think that sums them up very nicely... Or PEGASIS without the wings.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, jonno said:

I think that sums them up very nicely... Or PEGASIS without the wings.

In fairness so is Cap Finistere 🤣

17 hours ago, hf_uk said:

“Bigger than it was before.....better than it was before....E Flexer is the world’s first bionic ship!”

(Ok - you had to be a particular generation!).

6 hours ago, Gareth said:

“Bigger than it was before.....better than it was before....E Flexer is the world’s first bionic ship!”

(Ok - you had to be a particular generation!).

Costing a bit more than 6 million dollars too!

• Haha 1