Khaines

Getting prescription medication in France

Right, am in a dilemma, as is a friend of mine.  We both take HRT medication, which is Elleste Duet 1 mg. At present due to manufacturing issues it is not available in the UK at the moment, and we are both wondering if we can get it in France, does it need a prescription, is it under a different name?  If you are in a position of being under prescribed medicine in the UK and there is difficulty getting hold of it, would it be possible to get it in France, does it need a prescription there.  We are looking to see about the availability of this product.  How do you go about finding out about availability?  Thanks in advance.  

As someone who has been on prescribed medication for decades and has had changes for the same reason, rather than circumventing the supply chain there are 2 things I would do. Firstly consult your usual pharmacist, highly trained professionals whose advice is spot on. They will suggest a good alternative, and there will be one. Then speak to your GP or clinic and ask for the recommended alternative. Changes by the manufacturers happen all the time.

Even if you were to locate it and have it supplied in France, it would only be a month or so supply then back to square one. If it is a manufacturing issue then sooner or later they will run out of it in France as well. I`ve always found that the replacements supplied did exactly the same job as before. Don`t worry all will work out

1 hour ago, Paully said:

As someone who has been on prescribed medication for decades and has had changes for the same reason, rather than circumventing the supply chain there are 2 things I would do. Firstly consult your usual pharmacist, highly trained professionals whose advice is spot on. They will suggest a good alternative, and there will be one. Then speak to your GP or clinic and ask for the recommended alternative. Changes by the manufacturers happen all the time.

Even if you were to locate it and have it supplied in France, it would only be a month or so supply then back to square one. If it is a manufacturing issue then sooner or later they will run out of it in France as well. I`ve always found that the replacements supplied did exactly the same job as before. Don`t worry all will work out

Thanks for your reply, Paully.  Both of us have spoken to our pharmacists on several occasions and we have been talking to private doctors and we are getting varying answers.  The reason I asked is that if it just a general supply issue affecting the UK, then maybe it is ok in France and I usually get three months supply here, so possibly it is a way of avoiding an alternative.  With HRT, I have been put on alternative before and the side effects were really bad so had to stop it immediately. My problem is my version is called “sequential” and the variants of sequentials are the ones that are having the supply issue.  The other version is continuous, which was the alternative offered, and it is the continuous version I cannot have, so would have to come off it completely, 

We were just discussing my up and coming trip to Cherbourg and the idea hit me about if I could get it in a pharmacy there, but we weren’t sure about how we’d go about it.  

Thanks again for your response, Paully, I am going to make an appointment to see my GP anyway to have a discussion about what alternatives we can try.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Khaines said:

We were just discussing my up and coming trip to Cherbourg and the idea hit me about if I could get it in a pharmacy there, but we weren’t sure about how we’d go about it.  

My wife has twice forgotten to pack mediation when traveling to France. She found that it was not a problem on either occasion. If you take the repeat part of your prescription with you she found that was fine. The first time we had to pay the doctor and for the tablets. The second time just for the tablets, the doctor didn't make a charge. When we asked how much we owed him he said nothing happy to help. A bit of a contrast when she did the same thing when we went to Wales.

• Like 1

So....she forgot to pack the medication but remembered to pack the repeat prescription....(?)😀

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

So....she forgot to pack the medication but remembered to pack the repeat prescription....(?)😀

No. She always carries the repeat part of the prescription in her purse so no need to pack it. Before you ask she always carries her purse in her bag and never forgets her bag.😉 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I am on medication for various complaints and always carry a repeat prescription with me in case I end up in hospital and they need to know what drugs I am on.

Hi Khaines,  I just googled Buy Elleste Duet and there are several on line pharmacies saying they can supply it here in the UK. Some indeed say out of stock, but others claim to have it, and some will mail it to you from overseas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Lucky she didn't forget to take G4rth. Perhaps HRT stands for Husband Replacement Therapy. Ed. 😀 

?? What's HRT got to do with it? We may both be getting a bit long in the tooth but neither of us are so far gone that we forget where we're going of where we've come from.

25 minutes ago, Paul W. H said:

I am on medication for various complaints and always carry a repeat prescription with me in case I end up in hospital and they need to know what drugs I am on.

That's good advice which I shall follow from now on as I can always remember the name of the drug but never the dose. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, G4rth said:

My wife has twice forgotten to pack mediation when traveling to France. 

I know holidays can be stressful but....

(Sorry G4rth I couldn't resist it!)

I have a checklist at home that I keep in my travel bag, contains all the things I need to make sure I have done before I go on day trips, and especially overnight crossings.  Everything from making sure all the wall sockets are off and things are unplugged to making sure, if an overnighter, that my pill dosages are in my pill box I carry.  Find it useful.

To be honest a missed dose of HRT doesn’t cause that much of a problem, it has happened before, but I am also on omeprazole, a medication to suppress stomach acid production - I have had throat ulcers and have a large hiatus hernia - and if I forget those, then the pain comes back with a vengeance, so making sure I have those is imperative!  I was only the other week up all night in agony because I forgot my evening dose 

Edited by Khaines

On a similar note - in the UK if you travel and forget your medication, you can usually get it from a pharmacy as an 'emergency prescription'. On a recent trip to Somerset I left my tablets at home, a quick trip into Boots and they were able to look up my record (they aren't my usual pharmacy) and issue a week of medication for a standard prescription charge.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Millsy said:

That's good advice which I shall follow from now on as I can always remember the name of the drug but never the dose. 

Remember also that you might not be in a position to tell what medication you are on.

18 minutes ago, Jim said:

On a similar note - in the UK if you travel and forget your medication, you can usually get it from a pharmacy as an 'emergency prescription'. On a recent trip to Somerset I left my tablets at home, a quick trip into Boots and they were able to look up my record (they aren't my usual pharmacy) and issue a week of medication for a standard prescription charge.

Interesting, I remember asking my GP a couple of years ago that if I ended up in hospital while away would they (the hospital) have access to my medical records and the answer was NO. 

2 minutes ago, Paul W. H said:

Remember also that you might not be in a position to tell what medication you are on.

Don't worry about that. The French will just stuff a suppository up your backside as a precaution. 😉 Ed. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Paul W. H said:

Interesting, I remember asking my GP a couple of years ago that if I ended up in hospital while away would they (the hospital) have access to my medical records and the answer was NO. 

All changed - unless you explicitly opted out, "Summary Care" medical records are now on a central system which would detail medication/dosage and significant medical history.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/how-to-access-your-health-records/

One thing - any men on here whose wives/partners take HRT, those women will find out (at present) that when they hand in any repeat prescriptions they too will get told it is unavailable and it will depend on how they arrange any alternatives and how they cope on alternatives.  Or go cold turkey - which will be very unpleasant.  My ‘friend’ I mentioned is actually my support worker for my autism, and if she cannot get hold of hers it may be  possibly affect her ability to do her job and she has to work with some quite severely affected autistic people.  Just thought I’d post on here that if anybody here has OHs that are on it, they could be facing the same problems as me when they get their repeat prescriptions.  If they are on sequential medication that is.

Edited by Khaines