Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

Waverley Withdrawn From Service - Statement

Recommended Posts

***WAVERLEY WITHDRAWN FROM SERVICE***

It is with deep regret we must inform our loyal customers and supporters that Waverley has been withdrawn from service.

Waverley Excursions Ltd General Manager, Paul Semple has made the following statement.

“Today I have to announce that following extensive efforts to repair Waverley’s boilers we have reached the conclusion that we must stop repairs. We now know that to give Waverley a future she will need new boilers.

The challenge ahead is significant and unlike previous challenges the ship has faced in the last 45 years through her preservation. I am personally appealing to anyone that wants to see this historic ship sail again. I know first-hand the fondness that the general public have for Waverley and I know this news will be upsetting. However, Waverley can sail again if we can raise the funds required to purchase and install new boilers.

The Registered Charity which owns Waverley will shortly launch an appeal to save the ship and ensure she sails again. The cost of the required works is significant but if every passenger who would have sailed this year donated the cost of their ticket towards our appeal we will return Waverley to steam. More than ever we need support to preserve this iconic vessel as the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world.”

Donations can be made now via our website or by texting STEAM followed by your chosen amount £10 or £20 to 70085.

https://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/friends-of-wav…/donate/

59875158_2366615553383685_4988328992151961600_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a shame, just saw the news on Facebook.  Hope they get her sorted out soon, she is iconic.  I will donate on payday as me and a friend were going to do the rare sailing that she was going to be doing from Poole.

Edited by Khaines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take any project with a boiler and you have a money pit. Unfortunately. But maybe a season off won't be a bad thing. As well as the fund-raising it might give them time to reassess their business plan and their never changing itinerary which sadly has become a bit of a bore.  

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ac_freeman said:

A shame indeed - that means that both the Waverley and Balmoral are now out of service 😟

Andy

They ought to flog Balmoral - that would raise funds.  Waverley should be ok, because of who she is, she will have fans with very deep pockets who will want to see her carry on.  She is a lucky old girl being in service as long as she has been, pretty sure she will return next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balmoral is no longer part of Waverley Excursions or the PSPS. In her current state I can't imagine who might be a buyer. As for there being deep pockets for Waverley I am not so sure. Anyway the PSPS has unrestricted funds of over 328,000 GBP. Maybe time to spend some of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Millsy said:

Balmoral is no longer part of Waverley Excursions or the PSPS. In her current state I can't imagine who might be a buyer. As for there being deep pockets for Waverley I am not so sure. Anyway the PSPS has unrestricted funds of over 328,000 GBP. Maybe time to spend some of it?

Yes, I got a reply on Facebook last night saying Balmoral is no longer owned by Waverley Excursions, I am not up to date on her, I still assumed she was still owned by WE, and they were just not sailing her, she’s laid up.  Agreed about the PSPS, they should start forking out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

It could be in the region of £2,000,000 needed to repair 'P/S Waverley'

Crikey....😟

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given all the replacement parts she's had over the years, the situation is starting to look like that of 'Trigger's broom'. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Sounds a lot. The present boilers were installed in 2000 and were reported to have cost £220,000.

The quote comes from the Sun I won’t post a link to that paper so here’s the quote

"However, Waverley can sail again if we can raise the funds required to purchase and install new boilers.

"We don't have funds in reserved to pay for repairs. Initial estimates look like the cost will be £2million.

"I know our very loyal supporters are already deeply upset by this news. I can see people are devastated.

"This is a significant challege but the Waverley does have a wide and hopeful support."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Khaines said:

https://onthewight.com/ps-waverley-taken-out-of-service-boiler-fund-appeal-launched/

The IOW take on things.  I see the comment by “Rowan” got three thumbs down!  An alternative, more environmentally friendly system...🙄.   

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question. I can't see why anybody would be angry with that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, penguin said:

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question. I can't see why anybody would be angry with that!

They want to see the steam coming out the funnels.  It would be a good idea but is there a practical way of doing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two new boilers ordered for Paddle Steamer Waverley to get it sailing again

Two new steam boilers have been ordered for the Paddle Steamer Waverley - just two months after the iconic ship was withdrawn from service.

Scots attempted to raise a whopping £2.3million for the new boilers after a crowdfunder was launched following the news.

Waverley Excursions General Manager, Paul Semple, thanked all those who donated for their attempts to get the steamer back off and running again. He said: "Thanks to the initial donations received towards our ‘Boiler Refit Appeal’ we have placed an order and paid the deposit for two new boilers to  "This is just the first vital step in returning Waverley to steam and I am extremely grateful to everyone who has donated to the appeal so far as they have allowed us to progress plans quickly. "The new boilers will be manufactured by Cochran Ltd. and at their Newbie Works in Annan for delivery early in 2020."

Other areas of the boiler room will have work done including replacement of electrical generators to ensure the safe sailing for years to come.
Mr Semple further added “We will only be able to install the new boilers if we continue to receive further donations and support from a variety of sources. "The response to the appeal so far has demonstrated that many people around the U.K. and beyond wish to see the last sea-going paddle steamer saved. "Our vision is to see a rejuvenated Waverley return next season and cruise from over 60 ports and piers around Great Britain allowing tens of thousands access to a truly unique piece of maritime heritage. "However, we will require ongoing help and support to achieve that vision."

waverly 1.jpg.gallery.jpg

 

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/17764434.two-new-boilers-ordered-paddle-steamer-waverley-get-sailing/?fbclid=IwAR0l8D8bZL8V-qVdb75MQrmyot9kdJu_W09ljsEi7mib7VOMAQlNNvNRdZU

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Two new boilers ordered for Paddle Steamer Waverley to get it sailing again

Two new steam boilers have been ordered for the Paddle Steamer Waverley - just two months after the iconic ship was withdrawn from service.

Scots attempted to raise a whopping £2.3million for the new boilers after a crowdfunder was launched following the news.

Waverley Excursions General Manager, Paul Semple, thanked all those who donated for their attempts to get the steamer back off and running again. He said: "Thanks to the initial donations received towards our ‘Boiler Refit Appeal’ we have placed an order and paid the deposit for two new boilers to  "This is just the first vital step in returning Waverley to steam and I am extremely grateful to everyone who has donated to the appeal so far as they have allowed us to progress plans quickly. "The new boilers will be manufactured by Cochran Ltd. and at their Newbie Works in Annan for delivery early in 2020."

Other areas of the boiler room will have work done including replacement of electrical generators to ensure the safe sailing for years to come.
Mr Semple further added “We will only be able to install the new boilers if we continue to receive further donations and support from a variety of sources. "The response to the appeal so far has demonstrated that many people around the U.K. and beyond wish to see the last sea-going paddle steamer saved. "Our vision is to see a rejuvenated Waverley return next season and cruise from over 60 ports and piers around Great Britain allowing tens of thousands access to a truly unique piece of maritime heritage. "However, we will require ongoing help and support to achieve that vision."

waverly 1.jpg.gallery.jpg

 

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/17764434.two-new-boilers-ordered-paddle-steamer-waverley-get-sailing/?fbclid=IwAR0l8D8bZL8V-qVdb75MQrmyot9kdJu_W09ljsEi7mib7VOMAQlNNvNRdZU

Wonderful news, Tony, thanks for this post.  Lovely to think she is so well supported and people are dipping into their pockets.  I hope she will one day return to us on the South Coast, although judging by Bournemouth Pier, which is an absolute disgrace nowadays, I cannot see her visiting here unless the council dip deep into their own pockets.  Included are pics took yesterday, plus one of Waverley here when she was a regular visitor.735020AE-CBA1-478C-8DD8-DE5D1F54FF27.thumb.jpeg.2e716408d7bcedb0e4a175fe59eaec14.jpeg

0C7D5270-4C9B-4B75-A03A-8CC1A0AF5A4C.jpeg

DE4179A3-ED03-4859-9706-CBBEEC6AFB7D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far so good, but there’s still going to be much fundraising needed. If all those who normally take a trip on the ship would this year give a donation equivalent to the fare that would help a great deal.

Let’s hope that Waverley will be able to come down south in September next year to carry out her normal programme based on Weymouth, Southampton and Portsmouth. The inability to call at Bournemouth is a serious blow, given its large number of holidaymakers and wide catchment area. As I understand it, the problem is not just the state of the pier but that silting up has severely limited the states of the tide at which berthing would be possible.

Maintaining elderly piers in a fit state to take such a large vessel is always going to be problematical; it’s hard to justify spending money to permit berthing which is only going to take place a handful of times a year. Many piers where Waverley used to call are now closed to it, eg Sandown and Worthing. Last autumn, I was on board the ship when we tried to berth at Clacton, where the pier looks in an even more decrepit state than Bournemouth’s. One of the bollards to which the ship was attached came away, as did part of the pier. The call had to be aborted. It is hard to see where the money to repair such piers is going to come from. The benefit to the tourist industry of Waverley’s operations is clear, but that doesn’t translate into funds for maintenance.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Bournemouth’s pier, the silt used to be cleared regularly in the summer.  It is only in the past eight years or so the problem has got progressively worse.  I have never seen the pier in such a state as the photos above.  Swanage managed to undergo a large refurbishment programme at large cost and Waverley calls there.  The situation in Bournemouth is the powers that be prefer to spend money elsewhere on stuff while neglecting some of our most important heritage.  When Dorset Cruises operated daytrips to Swanage and Brownsea from Bournemouth they had the Shockwave fast boat they used for high speed trips round the bay, and remember one bloke who worked for the company saying they used it to blast silt and keep it under control.  Since they lost the contract to operate the pier pleasure trips this no longer happens.   

The area around the pier is now quite silted, yes, but the pier as a whole has tended to be neglected on the western side.  The eastern side is in use for boats, but only boats I see using it is during the air festival when we have naval ships out in the bay.  The pier is used for tender boats carrying people to and from them.   A friend of mine on Facebook is a Lib Dem councillor in Christchurch, and because we are now Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch I am going to try and have a bit of a rant about that, I posted those pictures on Facebook so she will have seen them.  

Miss Waverley calling here, always really enjoyed seeing her come in, even on days I wasn’t travelling on her.  I plan to take trips on her in other parts of the country she calls at, possibly going out to see the Thames forts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Khaines said:

Regarding Bournemouth’s pier, the silt used to be cleared regularly in the summer.  It is only in the past eight years or so the problem has got progressively worse.  I have never seen the pier in such a state as the photos above.  Swanage managed to undergo a large refurbishment programme at large cost and Waverley calls there.  The situation in Bournemouth is the powers that be prefer to spend money elsewhere on stuff while neglecting some of our most important heritage.  When Dorset Cruises operated daytrips to Swanage and Brownsea from Bournemouth they had the Shockwave fast boat they used for high speed trips round the bay, and remember one bloke who worked for the company saying they used it to blast silt and keep it under control.  Since they lost the contract to operate the pier pleasure trips this no longer happens.   

The area around the pier is now quite silted, yes, but the pier as a whole has tended to be neglected on the western side.  The eastern side is in use for boats, but only boats I see using it is during the air festival when we have naval ships out in the bay.  The pier is used for tender boats carrying people to and from them.   A friend of mine on Facebook is a Lib Dem councillor in Christchurch, and because we are now Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch I am going to try and have a bit of a rant about that, I posted those pictures on Facebook so she will have seen them.  

Miss Waverley calling here, always really enjoyed seeing her come in, even on days I wasn’t travelling on her.  I plan to take trips on her in other parts of the country she calls at, possibly going out to see the Thames forts. 

Yes, I’d recommend the Thames trips, normally done in October, so sometimes a need to wrap up well. They lack the splendid coastal scenery of the IOW or the Jurassic Coast (indeed sometimes you can hardly see the coast at all) but fascinating nonetheless. A particular surprise was the Blackwater estuary, where we were supposed to be heading after our ill-fated Clacton call - an extensive and very deep estuary which very few people seem to know about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...