Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

Waverley Withdrawn From Service - Statement

***WAVERLEY WITHDRAWN FROM SERVICE***

It is with deep regret we must inform our loyal customers and supporters that Waverley has been withdrawn from service.

Waverley Excursions Ltd General Manager, Paul Semple has made the following statement.

“Today I have to announce that following extensive efforts to repair Waverley’s boilers we have reached the conclusion that we must stop repairs. We now know that to give Waverley a future she will need new boilers.

The challenge ahead is significant and unlike previous challenges the ship has faced in the last 45 years through her preservation. I am personally appealing to anyone that wants to see this historic ship sail again. I know first-hand the fondness that the general public have for Waverley and I know this news will be upsetting. However, Waverley can sail again if we can raise the funds required to purchase and install new boilers.

The Registered Charity which owns Waverley will shortly launch an appeal to save the ship and ensure she sails again. The cost of the required works is significant but if every passenger who would have sailed this year donated the cost of their ticket towards our appeal we will return Waverley to steam. More than ever we need support to preserve this iconic vessel as the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world.”

Donations can be made now via our website or by texting STEAM followed by your chosen amount £10 or £20 to 70085.

https://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/friends-of-wav…/donate/

59875158_2366615553383685_4988328992151961600_o.jpg

Such a shame, just saw the news on Facebook.  Hope they get her sorted out soon, she is iconic.  I will donate on payday as me and a friend were going to do the rare sailing that she was going to be doing from Poole.

Edited by Khaines

Take any project with a boiler and you have a money pit. Unfortunately. But maybe a season off won't be a bad thing. As well as the fund-raising it might give them time to reassess their business plan and their never changing itinerary which sadly has become a bit of a bore.  

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ac_freeman said:

A shame indeed - that means that both the Waverley and Balmoral are now out of service 😟

Andy

They ought to flog Balmoral - that would raise funds.  Waverley should be ok, because of who she is, she will have fans with very deep pockets who will want to see her carry on.  She is a lucky old girl being in service as long as she has been, pretty sure she will return next year.

Balmoral is no longer part of Waverley Excursions or the PSPS. In her current state I can't imagine who might be a buyer. As for there being deep pockets for Waverley I am not so sure. Anyway the PSPS has unrestricted funds of over 328,000 GBP. Maybe time to spend some of it?

10 hours ago, Millsy said:

Balmoral is no longer part of Waverley Excursions or the PSPS. In her current state I can't imagine who might be a buyer. As for there being deep pockets for Waverley I am not so sure. Anyway the PSPS has unrestricted funds of over 328,000 GBP. Maybe time to spend some of it?

Yes, I got a reply on Facebook last night saying Balmoral is no longer owned by Waverley Excursions, I am not up to date on her, I still assumed she was still owned by WE, and they were just not sailing her, she’s laid up.  Agreed about the PSPS, they should start forking out.

11 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

It could be in the region of £2,000,000 needed to repair 'P/S Waverley'

Crikey....😟

Given all the replacement parts she's had over the years, the situation is starting to look like that of 'Trigger's broom'. Ed. 

9 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Sounds a lot. The present boilers were installed in 2000 and were reported to have cost £220,000.

The quote comes from the Sun I won’t post a link to that paper so here’s the quote

"However, Waverley can sail again if we can raise the funds required to purchase and install new boilers.

"We don't have funds in reserved to pay for repairs. Initial estimates look like the cost will be £2million.

"I know our very loyal supporters are already deeply upset by this news. I can see people are devastated.

"This is a significant challege but the Waverley does have a wide and hopeful support."

23 hours ago, Khaines said:

https://onthewight.com/ps-waverley-taken-out-of-service-boiler-fund-appeal-launched/

The IOW take on things.  I see the comment by “Rowan” got three thumbs down!  An alternative, more environmentally friendly system...🙄.   

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question. I can't see why anybody would be angry with that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question. I can't see why anybody would be angry with that!

They want to see the steam coming out the funnels.  It would be a good idea but is there a practical way of doing it?