• 2 months later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just for the record here she is. There seemed to be a good few cars lined up for embarcation, weather here pretty calm and sunny so there should be a good view passing le Cap de la Hague. Chris

Thought I’d put a pic of Lib up, was killing time to go across on the chain ferry yesterday to take pics of Connemara, and she appeared.  Recently out of dry dock, not sure if she’s been painted or no

She may even be able to operate without the hassle of having to load and unload passengers!  Should improve reliability enormously. 🤣

Posted Images

Quite frankly what puts me off visiting the islands is the constant carping about Libby and other moaning.  And recently wasn’t someone moaning about having to listen to seagulls because of a tip closure.  Sorry, Nick, the Islands are very negative.  Several of us on here use Libby and have no issue with her.  As has been saiid repeatedly.  Nothing wrong with that boat.  

Edited by Khaines
4 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Quite frankly what puts me off visiting the islands is the constant carping about Libby and other moaning.  And recently wasn’t someone moaning about having to listen to seagulls because of a tip closure.  Sorry, Nick, the Islands are very negative.  Several of us on here use Libby and have no issue with her.  As has been saiid repeatedly.  Nothing wrong with that boat.  

I fully understand your view but using the service occasionally is bit different to those who rely on or use it regularly for business or to visit family. Those who live on the Islands aren't particularly negative about the INCAT and their concerns regarding the conventional ships are no different to ours in wanting more facilities aboard the Visentini's.

Those who live in the Isle of Man have said many times that their service is lacking, they're not perceived as negative and crucially the IOMSP are responding by Investing in larger more user friendly tonnage... Something Macquarie failed to do when they owned it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jonno said:

I fully understand your view but using the service occasionally is bit different to those who rely on or use it regularly for business or to visit family. Those who live on the Islands aren't particularly negative about the INCAT and their concerns regarding the conventional ships are no different to ours in wanting more facilities aboard the Visentini's.

Those who live in the Isle of Man have said many times that their service is lacking, they're not perceived as negative and crucially the IOMSP are responding by Investing in larger more user friendly tonnage... Something Macquarie failed to do when they owned it.

The thing is, Jonno, if you go back to the years when the cats were in service they were always breaking down and caused no end of disruption.  As a resident of Bournemouth and Poole, I remember only too well the endless complaints about the cats and they were all saying at the time the cats needed replacing.  Now the cats are perfect compared to Libby.  Libby has been “got at” for absolutely everything, one I remember being an open bow area which “sprayed their cars with seawater”. The older incats did not have this, but the fuss was so out of proportion when most modern HSCs have open bows.  Having seen Libby’s open bow and how far down the vehicles are tucked away it wax crazy.  

I understand totally the difference between tourists and residents use, but they are driving tourists away themselves.  This has been said before, the constant moaning about Condor is putting people off.   I’ll try and find a link to that story if I can, it was a while back.  But thd incessant carping really does get on my nerves, the cats were just as, if not more unreliable in the latter days of service.  When they got Libby, James Fulford was subjected to a lot of disgusting abuse, that is what they are like.  We are quite happy with her in Poole.

Edited by Khaines
1 hour ago, Khaines said:

The thing is, Jonno, if you go back to the years when the cats were in service they were always breaking down and caused no end of disruption.  As a resident of Bournemouth and Poole, I remember only too well the endless complaints about the cats and they were all saying at the time the cats needed replacing.  Now the cats are perfect compared to Libby.  Libby has been “got at” for absolutely everything, one I remember being an open bow area which “sprayed their cars with seawater”. The older incats did not have this, but the fuss was so out of proportion when most modern HSCs have open bows.  Having seen Libby’s open bow and how far down the vehicles are tucked away it wax crazy.  

I understand totally the difference between tourists and residents use, but they are driving tourists away themselves.  This has been said before, the constant moaning about Condor is putting people off.   I’ll try and find a link to that story if I can, it was a while back.  But thd incessant carping really does get on my nerves, the cats were just as, if not more unreliable in the latter days of service.  When they got Libby, James Fulford was subjected to a lot of disgusting abuse, that is what they are like.  We are quite happy with her in Poole.

You have to remember that when the cats were running there were two of them most the time, now there is no second boat to fall back on.  As for the spray, salt spray will get anywhere, there are enough complaints about spray on the open decks on some BF ships and they are a lot higher out of the water.

Well yes - back in those days there were two vessels and three or four four sailing options each day, so problems with any one were less significant.

Truth is, though, that the fast cat model is never going to provide certainty of provision of service on exposed Western Channel routes.  Passenger provision on the Portsmouth freight route is a relatively recent facility, so before that existed you can understand why the islanders have never been totally happy with the format of the UK link since the demise of BCIF.

• Like 1

Gareth, of course only a month or so back we thought BCIF Mk 2 was a strong possibility with reports that Brittany Ferries were going to repeat their 1980s entry into the CI market. Perhaps it might still happen.

Edited by Nick Hyde
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Liberation has been operating on reduced power and a heavily revised timetable since the weekend. Apparently the engine manufacturer MTU has advised Condor to change all the main fuel pumps. The ship was supposed to be back to normal for tomorrow but they appear to need a further day to complete the work and as such the company has chartered a private flight to get foot passengers between the islands. I don't recall that happening before. Ed. 

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Liberation has been operating on reduced power and a heavily revised timetable since the weekend. Apparently the engine manufacturer MTU has advised Condor to change all the main fuel pumps. The ship was supposed to be back to normal for tomorrow but they appear to need a further day to complete the work and as such the company has chartered a private flight to get foot passengers between the islands. I don't recall that happening before. Ed. 

What??.private plane or Liberation breaking down🤣

• Haha 1

Liberation is not calling at Guernsey on her way to Jersey so the flight is designed to get the Guernsey passengers to Jersey,  particularly those who need to connect with Rapide to St Malo. I guess anyone travelling with a car has been pushed onto Clipper.

PRIVATE CHARTER 05/09/19 GSY-JSY

In order to accommodate disrupted foot passengers travelling from GSY to JSY on Thursday 5th September Condor have secured a private airline charter. Please see below for departure and arrival information. If you would like to transfer to this service Please allow us to help you by calling 0345 609 1026 

Ed

17 hours ago, nottingham said:

We are on the 1445 crossing Friday -  fingers crossed, I do not want to arrive in Poole at  9pm with a drive home to follow!

According to Condor's Twitter account, they are expecting everything to be running to schedule tomorrow. Ed. 

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

According to Condor's Twitter account, they are expecting everything to be running to schedule tomorrow. Ed. 

Nope - we received a text earlier, now departing St Helier 1500hrs, arrival in Poole 2055, just debating whether to get a hotel in Poole/ Bournemouth for the night, (around £73 with Premier) or press on for a drive home (eta now 0045).  Not happy!

Well what a 'disaster' - a lovely time in Jersey, marred only by Condor ferries, their poor organization, and their Liberation ferry:

• Starting at Poole ferry port 30th August (what an unattractive area that is), arrived extra early as requested by e-mail 'due to the port being very busy'.  It wasn't - total lack of direction in the port area, we were queued next to a BF shed to await embarkation.  WE could hear very loud 'Phantomesque' music being played, so don't know what was going off in there.
  • One of the first vehicles to embark, we drove on, had to U turn then reverse into the open deck at the bow.  (Worse than the shunting on Bretagne!)
  • Crossing was fine in the Horizon lounge, the food didn't impress, but was edible, arrived on time.
  • Drove off into St Helier, initially very disappointed being faced with the redevelopments near the harbor - very different from 25 years ago.  All those large corporate buildings are so ugly.
  • Spent the week exploring the coastline, visited two excellent attractions - Jersey war tunnels and Elizabeth Castle.
  • Was advised by text on 5th of delays due to Liberation slow speed pending maintenance and a later departure.
  • Parked up at ferry terminal, went to desk to get boarding passes, as instructed previously (if we couldn't pre-print).  Guy on the desk spoke limited English  and could not understand why we were there - eventually he printed them off and sent us to the check in kiosk, where they inspected with surprise and re-issued including one for the vehicle.
  • Boarded ferry - tight squeeze, almost last to embark, put in a centre lane with a large space one side as an unaccompanied Condor trailer was taking up 1+ lanes next to us (more about that later)
  • Got to the lounge to find our reserved seating occupied  - sorted this amicably, noted lots of confusion with seating.
  • Set off for Guernsey - a bit choppy.
  • Whilst in St Peter Port, Clipper arrived - we seemed to wait a long time before departing - announcement made to the effect that the port could not cope with 2 ferries at once, some vehicles for Plymouth (WTF) had been  loaded in error.  Much shunting of cars etc and we eventually got away
  • Further announcement - seat allocation had failed due to rescheduling? Sit wherever you want in your chosen area.  There was a surge of passengers uncontrolled into the Horizon lounge (the digital code lock door seemed permanently open) Soon became unbearably hot and stuffy.
  • This with the choppy sea as Liberation wallowed to Poole was too much for my tum - yuk!  Many lost drinks and food from table tops. Difficult to stand safely.
  • Arrived Poole around 2100, should have been 1930 originally
  • Disembarkation was slow, obstructed vans etc by the aforementioned trailer - they only had inches clearance between it and my car!
  • Gave up on driving home that night - dumped ourselves in a Travelodge for the night and drove home yesterday.

I do hope BF do take them over - far more professional and organized in comparison

I can't see us ever using Poole or Condor Liberation again - very disappointed  and can't really understand some of the enthusiasm I have seen expressed on here for the route!

1 hour ago, nottingham said:

can't really understand some of the enthusiasm I have seen expressed on here for the route!

I've never crossed the channel on her so can't judge her performance on long trips but my five different crossings between Jersey and Guernsey in both directions have been excellent. 

I suspect that some of the movement you experienced coming back to Poole was due to the reduced speed. She does rock and roll a bit in big swells but it's an unusual movement that catches people out and was probably accentuated here.  

The seating confusion on board may well have been due to people delaying their crossings by 24 in the hope of a return to normal and then finding some seats double-booked. 

As for your comments about Poole Ferry Port. How dare you! 😉 That's my job! Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

I've never crossed the channel on her so can't judge her performance on long trips but my five different crossings between Jersey and Guernsey in both directions have been excellent. 

I suspect that some of the movement you experienced coming back to Poole was due to the reduced speed. She does rock and roll a bit in big swells but it's an unusual movement that catches people out and was probably accentuated here.  

The seating confusion on board may well have been due to people delaying their crossings by 24 in the hope of a return to normal and then finding some seats double-booked. 

As for your comments about Poole Ferry Port. How dare you! 😉 That's my job! Ed. 

You'll be in trouble!

5 hours ago, nottingham said:

• Starting at Poole ferry port 30th August (what an unattractive area that is), arrived extra early as requested by e-mail 'due to the port being very busy'.  It wasn't - total lack of direction in the port area, we were queued next to a BF shed to await embarkation. 

I had that message when I travelled and it wasn't busy, pretty sure it's a standard message they send out. I took it to actually mean "we want to leave early so we can save some fuel".

6 hours ago, nottingham said:

Well what a 'disaster' - a lovely time in Jersey, marred only by Condor ferries, their poor organization, and their Liberation ferry:

• Starting at Poole ferry port 30th August (what an unattractive area that is), arrived extra early as requested by e-mail 'due to the port being very busy'.  It wasn't - total lack of direction in the port area, we were queued next to a BF shed to await embarkation.  WE could hear very loud 'Phantomesque' music being played, so don't know what was going off in there.
  • One of the first vehicles to embark, we drove on, had to U turn then reverse into the open deck at the bow.  (Worse than the shunting on Bretagne!)
  • Crossing was fine in the Horizon lounge, the food didn't impress, but was edible, arrived on time.
  • Drove off into St Helier, initially very disappointed being faced with the redevelopments near the harbor - very different from 25 years ago.  All those large corporate buildings are so ugly.
  • Spent the week exploring the coastline, visited two excellent attractions - Jersey war tunnels and Elizabeth Castle.
  • Was advised by text on 5th of delays due to Liberation slow speed pending maintenance and a later departure.
  • Parked up at ferry terminal, went to desk to get boarding passes, as instructed previously (if we couldn't pre-print).  Guy on the desk spoke limited English  and could not understand why we were there - eventually he printed them off and sent us to the check in kiosk, where they inspected with surprise and re-issued including one for the vehicle.
  • Boarded ferry - tight squeeze, almost last to embark, put in a centre lane with a large space one side as an unaccompanied Condor trailer was taking up 1+ lanes next to us (more about that later)
  • Got to the lounge to find our reserved seating occupied  - sorted this amicably, noted lots of confusion with seating.
  • Set off for Guernsey - a bit choppy.
  • Whilst in St Peter Port, Clipper arrived - we seemed to wait a long time before departing - announcement made to the effect that the port could not cope with 2 ferries at once, some vehicles for Plymouth (WTF) had been  loaded in error.  Much shunting of cars etc and we eventually got away
  • Further announcement - seat allocation had failed due to rescheduling? Sit wherever you want in your chosen area.  There was a surge of passengers uncontrolled into the Horizon lounge (the digital code lock door seemed permanently open) Soon became unbearably hot and stuffy.
  • This with the choppy sea as Liberation wallowed to Poole was too much for my tum - yuk!  Many lost drinks and food from table tops. Difficult to stand safely.
  • Arrived Poole around 2100, should have been 1930 originally
  • Disembarkation was slow, obstructed vans etc by the aforementioned trailer - they only had inches clearance between it and my car!
  • Gave up on driving home that night - dumped ourselves in a Travelodge for the night and drove home yesterday.

I do hope BF do take them over - far more professional and organized in comparison

I can't see us ever using Poole or Condor Liberation again - very disappointed  and can't really understand some of the enthusiasm I have seen expressed on here for the route!

Plymouth? Surely you mean Portsmouth? Or did the announcer genuinely announce Plymouth? I also don't know how cars can be boarded upon the wrong ferry.

Just now, MichaelBF said:

Plymouth? Surely you mean Portsmouth? Or did the announcer genuinely announce Plymouth? I also don't know how cars can be boarded upon the wrong ferry.

Definitely announced Plymouth!

A lady sat near to us said "Idiots! the sooner they're gone the better - if you lived here you would understand just how rubbish their service is"