La Pirouaie

Condor Liberation

On 08/09/2019 at 18:36, Cabin-boy said:

Can you explain how leaving early saves them fuel. If true, I'm off to work right now and you've just solved the world's energy crisis. ☺️ Ed

Leaving early means they don't need to run as fast across the Channel so they save fuel, quite simple really.

On 08/09/2019 at 12:27, nottingham said:

Well what a 'disaster' - a lovely time in Jersey, marred only by Condor ferries, their poor organization, and their Liberation ferry:

• Starting at Poole ferry port 30th August (what an unattractive area that is), arrived extra early as requested by e-mail 'due to the port being very busy'.  It wasn't - total lack of direction in the port area, we were queued next to a BF shed to await embarkation.  WE could hear very loud 'Phantomesque' music being played, so don't know what was going off in there.
  • One of the first vehicles to embark, we drove on, had to U turn then reverse into the open deck at the bow.  (Worse than the shunting on Bretagne!)
  • Crossing was fine in the Horizon lounge, the food didn't impress, but was edible, arrived on time.
  • Drove off into St Helier, initially very disappointed being faced with the redevelopments near the harbor - very different from 25 years ago.  All those large corporate buildings are so ugly.
  • Spent the week exploring the coastline, visited two excellent attractions - Jersey war tunnels and Elizabeth Castle.
  • Was advised by text on 5th of delays due to Liberation slow speed pending maintenance and a later departure.
  • Parked up at ferry terminal, went to desk to get boarding passes, as instructed previously (if we couldn't pre-print).  Guy on the desk spoke limited English  and could not understand why we were there - eventually he printed them off and sent us to the check in kiosk, where they inspected with surprise and re-issued including one for the vehicle.
  • Boarded ferry - tight squeeze, almost last to embark, put in a centre lane with a large space one side as an unaccompanied Condor trailer was taking up 1+ lanes next to us (more about that later)
  • Got to the lounge to find our reserved seating occupied  - sorted this amicably, noted lots of confusion with seating.
  • Set off for Guernsey - a bit choppy.
  • Whilst in St Peter Port, Clipper arrived - we seemed to wait a long time before departing - announcement made to the effect that the port could not cope with 2 ferries at once, some vehicles for Plymouth (WTF) had been  loaded in error.  Much shunting of cars etc and we eventually got away
  • Further announcement - seat allocation had failed due to rescheduling? Sit wherever you want in your chosen area.  There was a surge of passengers uncontrolled into the Horizon lounge (the digital code lock door seemed permanently open) Soon became unbearably hot and stuffy.
  • This with the choppy sea as Liberation wallowed to Poole was too much for my tum - yuk!  Many lost drinks and food from table tops. Difficult to stand safely.
  • Arrived Poole around 2100, should have been 1930 originally
  • Disembarkation was slow, obstructed vans etc by the aforementioned trailer - they only had inches clearance between it and my car!
  • Gave up on driving home that night - dumped ourselves in a Travelodge for the night and drove home yesterday.

I do hope BF do take them over - far more professional and organized in comparison

I can't see us ever using Poole or Condor Liberation again - very disappointed  and can't really understand some of the enthusiasm I have seen expressed on here for the route!

I don't understand why you are blaming Condor Ferries for the state of the port and surrounding 'Ugly' buildings. That's hardly the fault of the ferry company.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Timmy said:

Leaving early means they don't need to run as fast across the Channel so they save fuel, quite simple really.

Ah, yes. I assumed that leaving early meant arriving early too. Silly me! I was forgetting which ship we were talking about for a moment! Anyway it might save fuel but then the overtime costs for the crew could offset any savings. And I think that Liberation running more slowly causes increased levels of discomfort for the passengers leading to reduced onboard sales and higher cleanup costs. Far better to just get people there ASAP and avoid any more excuses for the customers to whinge and moan I'd have thought. Ed. 

16 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I don't understand why you are blaming Condor Ferries for the state of the port and surrounding 'Ugly' buildings. That's hardly the fault of the ferry company.

The overall bad experience was down to Condor's shambolic arrangements - architecture I agree is not their 'problem', and was the least of my issues.  

• Like 2