La Pirouaie

Condor Liberation

2 hours ago, northsaul2 said:

It was a berthing trial, I am not convinced by all the hype it was an test paid for by MTU.  Sure that was the main reason and most of the cost was likely paid for, however why Cherbourg, why not Guernsey?? or just out and back.  Ferry companies do things for a reason.  As for no operational changes, think that is slightly economical with the truth, what about the advanced plans for Goodwills's replacement with a ro/pax 

I saw on a certain Facebook page commented about the MTU test.  I think we are talking about the same posts which suggest her using the Synchrolift if she needed to and that the spare parts could be obtained in Cherbourg.  Would Libby fit on the lift is she too big for that, she was only in dry dock recently so why the heck wasn’t anything done then while she was out of the water. Without going into detail on here about what gets said on Facebook, as it is usually not the done thing here to repeat stuff from there, but your post about the MTU test, I read that thread in that group as had a lurk to see if anyone there knew what was going on.  I am not a member but it is a public group so had a look.  I saw the posts about an MTU jolly, and while I think the person who posted that is well informed, I do reckon that berthing trials were figured in the equasion as well.   I think there is is just more to her sojourn to Cherbourg than what is being suggested about a test run. 

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

You just watch, she’ll be off to Portsmouth for berthing trials next! 😀

If she does, Tony will be in need of clean underpants..,😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

You just watch, she’ll be off to Portsmouth for berthing trials next! 😀

Na, she's part of a swap deal with Stena who want to start a high speed service to Gothenburg... honest guv.😉

28 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

This explains what Condor Liberation was doing in Cherbourg a couple of weeks ago.

Does it?  This looks like it is a diversion of the French port for the St Malo route (operated by Rapide).  Nothing to do with Liberation is it?

Ah ok, thanks Tumnus.

Maybe this was partly planned anyway, on the basis that Liberation may be awkward to handle in St Malo (especially at this time of year).  So the whole cover operation planned to run from Cherbourg instead, as a precaution.

Yes it does relate to Liberation.The reference to a winter contingency plan is interesting as I'm not aware that Rapide has experienced problems with winds in St Malo and had to divert to Cherbourg before. Clearly they don't want to take any risks. I wonder whether BF staff in Cherbourg will be doing to check-in and marshaling work on Condor's behalf.

Ed. 

Hoping to get some pics of her in Cherbourg from someone.  A few hints have gone out on Instagram so hoping he’ll get a few and allow me to share here.  I’d like to see her there...😁

I wonder if the intention is still to operate to and from the islands in the order of the originally scheduled St Malo sailings.  The Cherbourg - St Helier crossing time must be quite a bit longer than from St Malo, and it would make more sense to run Je - Gu - Ch - Gu - Je.

The purpose of Liberation sailing to Cherbourg was to evaluate the suitability of the Normandy port as an alternate if inclement weather prevents their fast ferries from operating to St Malo during the Winter months.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

1 minute ago, TonyMWeaver said:

The purpose of Liberation sailing to Cherbourg was to evaluate the suitability of the Normandy port as an alternate if inclement weather prevents their fast ferries from operating to St Malo during the Winter months.

Yes, I think Ed has already said that (through the article he posted).  Makes sense.

5 hours ago, Khaines said:

Hoping to get some pics of her in Cherbourg from someone.  A few hints have gone out on Instagram so hoping he’ll get a few and allow me to share here.  I’d like to see her there...😁

I’ll do my best Brigitte but am working tomorrow. What time is she due in Cherbourg?

Thanks

Chris

55 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I’ll do my best Brigitte but am working tomorrow. What time is she due in Cherbourg?

Thanks

Chris

Thanks, Chris.  On the link it says she is due in at 12.30 so assume that is English time?  Haven’t heard anything back my end yet..

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1

I’m sorry Brigitte but I failed miserably - there’s a big demonstration going on in the centre of Cherbourg and it’s gridlocked. Plus she left 20 minutes early anyway so would have missed her, will try again next time...

Chris

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

I’m sorry Brigitte but I failed miserably - there’s a big demonstration going on in the centre of Cherbourg and it’s gridlocked. Plus she left 20 minutes early anyway so would have missed her, will try again next time...

Chris

No probs, Chris.  Expect one or two will turn upon Facebook more than likely. 

Condor Liberation will be back in Cherbourg today, for a longer stay than usual, due to high winds forcing her cancellation tomorrow and to give passengers more time to get to the port. Ed. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

to give passengers more time to get to the port. Ed. 

Pretty hard to get a car from the Channel Islands to Cherbourg I would have thought!

• Haha 2

I can't wait for Condor to announce their fleet strategy investment plans. If you go to Island FMs podcasts you will see an interview with Paul Luxon. A second ro pax to replace Goodwill may get priority over a Rapide replacement. They apparently have the money ready and waiting to spend. If a second ro pax comes on stream, Libby's shortcomings maybe less of a problem.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Libby's shortcomings maybe less of a problem.

She may even be able to operate without the hassle of having to load and unload passengers!  Should improve reliability enormously. 🤣

• Haha 4