Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Mini cruise

I have been looking into booking a mini cruise from Plymouth to Santander like I used to do several years ago I must admit.

However, it now appears that instead of returning to Plymouth it returns to Portsmouth?!  

Have I missed something here?

No, you are correct (according to the timetables).  Direct returns from Plymouth and back to Plymouth no longer happen (and haven’t done for a long time now).

However......by quirk of fate, and for the time being (but it is unclear how long for), Pont Aven’s Santander sailings are both running from Plymouth.  This gives you a temporary possibility of booking what you are looking for.  Worth giving BF a ring and discussing your options with them.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I have been looking into booking a mini cruise from Plymouth to Santander like I used to do several years ago I must admit.

However, it now appears that instead of returning to Plymouth it returns to Portsmouth?!  

Have I missed something here?

Yes, Its the Rotation of the PA, however now due to the Engine problem PA is operating only Plymouth to Santander-Plymouth until 2020

I am sure many have been waiting to ask... What are the chances of a Plymouth-Santander-Plymouth mini-cruise!? The timings are unlikely to give you anywhere near the good old days of 5.5 - 7 hours ashore... and I would question if BF would market it now. But the possibility is there:)

As the timetable is for now....

Sail from Plymouth on a Sunday, arrive Santander on Monday.

Two nights in a hotel.

Sail from Santander on a Wednesday, arrive Plymouth on Thursday.

Just now, wortley said:

As the timetable is for now....

Sail from Plymouth on a Sunday, arrive Santander on Monday.

Two nights in a hotel.

Sail from Santander on a Wednesday, arrive Plymouth on Thursday.

Or... just come straight back :)

We used to go Wednesday, now Tuesday evening, and back Monday arriving Tuesday morning giving virtually a week away, at reasonable price if booked early enough.

What has Plymouth got to do with a BF mini cruise? You could sail and return on PA from Portsmouth as a footie if you wanted to... Courtesy of Wessex Continental Travel. In that scenario surely Plymouth offers less value as your time at sea... you know, the actual cruise bit of said mini cruise... is somewhat shorter and I doubt the price would change.

I love the excitement PA sailing from Plymouth for a month has stirred. I hope she never passes Brownsea Island and parks next to Libby... BF will probably need to offer oxygen at the check in!

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, jonno said:

What has Plymouth got to do with a BF mini cruise? You could sail and return on PA from Portsmouth as a footie if you wanted to... Courtesy of Wessex Continental Travel. In that scenario surely Plymouth offers less value as your time at sea... you know, the actual cruise bit of said mini cruise... is somewhat shorter and I doubt the price would change.

I love the excitement PA sailing from Plymouth for a month has stirred. I hope she never passes Brownsea Island and parks next to Libby... BF will probably need to offer oxygen at the check in!

Regarding Western Continental - presumably they will still be selling mini-crusies now - only having to run from Plymouth only, and not bother with the transfer coach back/up.

Anyway - lots of interest in the move for sure.... and who knows - maybe more than a month!

1 hour ago, jonno said:

It means you can sail from a port and return to that port, not face a few hours on a coach.

Just imagine the minicruise possibilities if there were daily sailings in each direction between Plymouth and Santander! 😉

7 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Regarding Western Continental - presumably they will still be selling mini-crusies now - only having to run from Plymouth only, and not bother with the transfer coach back/up.

Anyway - lots of interest in the move for sure.... and who knows - maybe more than a month!

I know this is a bit controversial... no tin hat as where's there's no sense there's no feeling...!  

I wouldn't be surprised if she's going to leave the channel and replace Connemara and sail permanently from Cork to Spain with Cap Finistere moving to Plymouth and performing a triangular Plymouth/Roscoff/Rosslare route. UK passengers are happy with the Sunday visit at Roscoff which extends the sailing into Tuesday, I'm sure they'll be happy with a Roscoff stop and continue sailing to Rosslare. For me the argument about loading is moot as Condor do it happily with their ships and Cats. 

The accompanied freight from Rosslare to France and back will simply be too good to ignore. It's already busy, busier than Cork in many areas, as much of what heads to Fishguard and Milford is Landbridge heading for the south coast. I also have a feeling that Stena will expand their French link too rather than continue with a heavily laden Landbridge hence why some say it's the reason why they've pulled out of the £5m investment in Fishguard and are giving Stena Europe a five year life extension rather than look at a replacement. Irish Ferries have nothing to cover for Isle of Inishmore during winter maintenance now Oscar Wilde has gone to GNV so there's every chance that there'll be a shut down during those times now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Solo said:

It means you can sail from a port and return to that port, not face a few hours on a coach.

Interesting this is on their website?

The “Pont Aven” sails from Plymouth on Sundays at 1745. We reach Santander at 1615 (Spanish time) on Monday and you may leave your belongings in your cabin when you go ashore. The ship berths in the heart of this charming city and the main square is an easy 10-minute stroll. Just a few steps away from the Terminal there are various bars and shops which will give you the authentic feel of real Spain.
The ship begins its return crossing at 1945 and once again, the amenities are there for you to enjoy. The award-winning Le Flora silver service restaurant offers a unique and very attractive opportunity to dine in style and watch the ocean glide by. The cruise continues next day as we enter the English Channel and sail back to Plymouth arriving at 1545.

I could have sworn she sailed at around 1500 on a Sunday?

Edited by jonno

11 minutes ago, jonno said:

The “Pont Aven” sails from Plymouth on Sundays at 1745. We reach Santander at 1615 (Spanish time) on Monday and you may leave your belongings in your cabin when you go ashore. The ship berths in the heart of this charming city and the main square is an easy 10-minute stroll. Just a few steps away from the Terminal there are various bars and shops which will give you the authentic feel of real Spain.
The ship begins its return crossing at 1945 and once again, the amenities are there for you to enjoy. The award-winning Le Flora silver service restaurant offers a unique and very attractive opportunity to dine in style and watch the ocean glide by. The cruise continues next day as we enter the English Channel and sail back to Plymouth arriving at 1545.

The difference is I guess, does the text on pages mean now Jonno - or pre-incident? 

If the timetables are correct, and the ship is running to it's new (temporary) schedule... is every other reference going to be updated. Clearly here they have, but I would bet they would not cover every single instance! I am not sure I would know how far to go in the short term. Do you change everything and then back again, stick a big banner up saying "Things may not be accurate - please check timetables" or just assume people would not read too much into glossy descriptions!

2 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

The difference is I guess, does the text on pages mean now Jonno - or pre-incident? 

If the timetables are correct, and the ship is running to it's new (temporary) schedule... is every other reference going to be updated. Clearly here they have, but I would bet they would not cover every single instance! I am not sure I would know how far to go in the short term. Do you change everything and then back again, stick a big banner up saying "Things may not be accurate - please check timetables" or just assume people would not read too much into glossy descriptions!

Eh, if I'm spending money I read everything! Judging by the times I'd say it's post incident. I take it then that PA didn't return her Plymouth mini cruise passengers back to Millbay but sailed on to Portsmouth. Dunno why I'd never cottoned on before... bit daft isn't it?

Now I can see what all the excitement is about. If I lived down there I'd be in the queue like it was for a cup final ticket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Yes that's the new sailing times, previously she left Plymouth 15.45 and arrive Santander at lunchtime.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Now I can see what all the excitement is about. If I lived down there I'd be in the queue like it was for a cup final ticket.

Just a shame there's not much time to arrange anything.

On 13/05/2019 at 19:33, Gareth said:

No, you are correct (according to the timetables).  Direct returns from Plymouth and back to Plymouth no longer happen (and haven’t done for a long time now).

However......by quirk of fate, and for the time being (but it is unclear how long for), Pont Aven’s Santander sailings are both running from Plymouth.  This gives you a temporary possibility of booking what you are looking for.  Worth giving BF a ring and discussing your options with them.

Thank you for that I will call tomorrow 

6 hours ago, jonno said:

Eh, if I'm spending money I read everything! Judging by the times I'd say it's post incident. I take it then that PA didn't return her Plymouth mini cruise passengers back to Millbay but sailed on to Portsmouth. Dunno why I'd never cottoned on before... bit daft isn't it?

Jonno - are you honestly telling me you've never heard of the DOUBLE MINI-CRUISE in recent years? Only a small select group of people in the world (basically us) would understand what you meant if you discretely uttered under your breath at a dinner party for example, "ahem, double mini-cruise" 😉😉 

https://www.wessexcontinental.co.uk/double_minicruise.php 

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Jonno - are you honestly telling me you've never heard of the DOUBLE MINI-CRUISE in recent years? Only a small select group of people in the world (basically us) would understand what you meant if you discretely uttered under your breath at a dinner party for example, "ahem, double mini-cruise" 😉😉 

https://www.wessexcontinental.co.uk/double_minicruise.php 

Double mini-cruise? Er, I had to go back and look at that one. I'd not really come across Wessex until I searched on BF's site for mini-cruises to see what the fuss was about and found the link. Prior to a quick return crossing I made as a footie on Cap Finistere not long after she arrived and during the Iceland volcano issue when BF packed everyone on I've not looked at mini-cruises since the '90's.

As for leaving from Plymouth and returning to Portsmouth... I think the person who thought of that needs to have a chat to themselves. It's no wonder those who post from the West Country feel a bit hard done by considering Millbay was originally PA's home UK port.

• Like 1

You can do it either way. I have actually got the coach up to Portsmouth, then got onboard and returned into Plymouth. Depends if you like a dreary lag at the start, or the end of your trip the most!