Sign in to follow this  
jason

BF Customer Service

Really disappointed with customer service, I didn't even get to travel on Brittany ferries, my car had to be written off! I tried to cancel giving 42 days notice & they charged me £85 then refused to give me a refund only a 'travel voucher' that I can't use as I don't have a car! They were unmoving, automative & flippant. Be sure you are going to travel otherwise you will get nothing back from them.

Sorry to hear about your car. Hope that you and anyone else involved are ok!

It may be worth writing to BF themselves to ask them to reconsider given the circumstances or perhaps to highlight your issues with how you feel you were treated.

That said, the terms and conditions are clear on the cancellation policy (you lose deposit and amendment fee and the balance is a travel voucher) and you should be able to claim for the loss via your travel insurance. You also don't necessarily need a car to use the voucher, although understandably it may make things more difficult.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this Jason.

BF don't know if you were able to be flexible on this. Many years ago I got "caught" the same way.

But, there is another way. If you can afford it and you still want to travel on BF, then instead of cancelling why not amend your trip to some later date. Possibly to a date well outside the busy summer period. This may get you a part refund if its cheaper.!Then when you are ready to travel again just use that booking and amend it again to suit you then. No extra cost to you and BF has your money for when you are ready.

We commute a lot to France between Spring and late Autumn but I get my bookings done when the timetables are released and amend any that don't fit in as the year progresses. This gives us flexibility to get home quickly for upcoming hospital operations at a moments notice and last year and up to April this year rushing home as my wifes uncle was in a care home and very frail (now deceased). 
This flexibility from BF has allowed us to continue to enjoy ferry crossings with BF and keep visiting our place in France with life constantly changing around us.

I cant think of any other travel company that is so flexible. I'm grateful.

Stu

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

I have amended both date and route ok, how extreme can one go with the amendment ? Is it possible to amend down to a single foot passenger one way on a daytime crossing ?

Try it. See if the computer says "no"

Stu

3 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Try it. See if the computer says "no"

Stu

Knowing my luck, I would lose one of my bookings for the year so I won’t be trying !

It was just a hypothetical question

Edited by David Williams

I wonder if you could split the 'travel voucher' and book a couple of separate return day trips in the future. You would have to ask them I guess...

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

I have amended both date and route ok, how extreme can one go with the amendment ? Is it possible to amend down to a single foot passenger one way on a daytime crossing ?

As far as I know, it's possible.

19 hours ago, David Williams said:

In 2017 I turned up at check in with a booking at Amendment 13! Sometimes the computer system increases the amendment count even without changing anything. The process just seems to count up even if I abort the change sometimes.

We used to book and tick the box that asks if you need assistance. This restricts chances of amending bookings. When my dear wife found out about it she insisted she would cope on the car deck without assistance, thus enabling us to amend as we need.

Stu

15 hours ago, straightfeed said:

We used to book and tick the box that asks if you need assistance. This restricts chances of amending bookings. When my dear wife found out about it she insisted she would cope on the car deck without assistance, thus enabling us to amend as we need.

Stu

If you tick the box  for 9c ( so called assisted) it only preludes you from modifying that booking on line, As CS allocate 9c spaces, you can still modify the booking as you can online, the only difference  is you have to make a phone call or calls to do it. The same rules apply. Once a booking has been changed manually for whatever reason, then it always has to be changed manually.

Good Customer Service.    Just now, Sunday night at 9.15pm  in France, customer service phoned me in response to an email.

There was no 9C parking available for the booking I'd made online. They phoned and emailed me yesterday to tell me that.

I sent them an email with an alternative crossing and said I'd phone when the office was open Monday, but blow me down, they beat me to it !

A very helpful young lady confirmed my revised booking and said a refund would go back to the card I'd paid with. You can't get better than that !

She said they are so busy with rebooking Pont Aven customers it was easier to phone me tonight rather than wait until tomorrow. Bravo Customer Service.

• Like 3