eagleeye

St Clare propellor issue

St Clare out of service for a week with prop problem ..w class coming in to cover so stand by for traffic problems 

Her annual issue. She always seems to have engine issues of some kind. Thought she was running late quite a lot. Better get fixed before festival.

This is where the Wightlink service has gone downhill. By changing to a less frequent service handled by just two  large ferries they have left themselves vulnerable to major disruption in case of breakdown. Of course it was predictable but the new arrangements cut costs at the expense of reliablility and customer service. Underneath the positive veneer, passengers are getting a significantly worse service  overall but the accounting bottom line is still protected. Depressing really, just like the airlines.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2019 at 16:40, Rattytat said:

She'll be heading to the boat lift in Cherbourg next week, they expect it to take 10 days

Good idea. Brest repair shop is rather busy right now.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 22/05/2019 at 16:40, Rattytat said:

She'll be heading to the boat lift in Cherbourg next week, they expect it to take 10 days

I don’t expect she’ll be still there when I am in Cherbourg on the 15th but if she is I’ll get some pics of her on the lift.

Timetable is back to 0630 0915 1215 1515 1815 for 3rd boat so docks unloads, layby then comes back in after on the hour vessel departs. Don't know if it will be same with Wight Sun as can't afford to lose number of sailings as losing capacity.

Crossed on Gosport Ferry this morning at 08-30 St Clare unloaded then went on layby in Camber as Victoria was entering the Harbour. Caught the bus at 0845 which went passed the  Gunwharf  towards Southsea and the queue of vehicles wanting to get on the Ferry was way passed the 2nd roundabout where you would turn off to go towards the sea front.

Crossed on the VoW last night at 11pm, ran on time with no queues, suppose they had caught up by that point. St Clare sitting at the layby berth in disgrace with all her lights switched off, Faith out at the pontoon but still powered up, no sign of one of the W-Class so not sure if one of those is in use yet.

As said, mechanical issues - often a feature of St Clare in particular over the years in my experience - are going to cause Wightlink a lot more issues from now on. What - if anything - they do about it remains to be seen, although perhaps another VoW is in the pipeline. I suppose this would replace St Faith though, not the historically problematic Clare.

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 16:40, Rattytat said:

Any update  please as to when St Clare goes to Cherbourg, only "next week" is almost up and she is still here.

11 hours ago, George A'Court said:

Any update  please as to when St Clare goes to Cherbourg, only "next week" is almost up and she is still here.

She's on the run at the moment, just left Fishbourne but only achieving 10kts. Running on three engines?

Does not look like she is going as they have the revised timetable continuing all week until 9th. If she has not gone by tomorrow then she probably wont be going as festival is too close then when they are suppose to be running 4 vessels. I would have thought Wight Sun would be on her way up for tomorrow if she was coming.

Just wondered what Wightlink are doing as they seem to be happy running the reduced service. No sign of St Clare going anywhere and yet again temporary timetable issue continues.

Edited by adicat

They had better bring in Wight Sun before school holidays. In 6 hours St Clare can do about 240 car spaces without mezz in the 2 return crossings. Wight Sun 195 as 3 return crossings so not a lot of difference at the moment now festival over and not at Summer holidays. I don't think it will work very well in the Summer holidays all this faffing around moving her out the way then back in.

22 minutes ago, adicat said:

They had better bring in Wight Sun before school holidays. 

I've been informed that 'Wight Sun' is due to relocate from Thursday this week

'St Clare' is going to Dunkirk, she's leaving Portsmouth sometime today arriving in Dunkirk tomorrow afternoon.

'Wight Sun' is en route to Portsmouth, arriving at around 11:30 (Wednesday)

UPDATE: AIS showing arrival in Dunkirk at 14:00 Thursday.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Surprised they sticking to the "maintenance" timetable and why on a Thursday do they do an 0830 and then 1215 and other days 0915 and 1215?