Sign in to follow this  
Le Quiberon

Baltic ferry cruises

The best way to do the Turku route is either the picnic cruise, out on one ship to Mariehamn then change to the inbound one there (this is a popular product so there is no chance of missed connections) or do the full 23 hours round trip on one ship - you don't get off in Turku, in fact many people just sleep through that bit if they've had a late night before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Le Quiberon said:

You can no longer do this. In addition, the Silja Europa only runs 22h mini-cruises from Helsinki - Tallin now.

You can no longer do what?

But yes the Galaxy and Baltic Princess are probably nicer overall ships than the Europa which is, frankly, a bit too vast without the wow factor of the Serenade/Symphony.

Symphony to Helsinki, Europa to Tallinn. Overnight in an old town hotel, back to Helsinki on XPRS then back to Stockholm overnight on Gabriella with a respectable mid morning arrival... you'll even experience both Stockholm terminals.

The Turku route is designed for those predominantly travelling for a lively break on board and duty free. Overnight each way by all means but there's not a lot to do in Turku for 9-10 hours before returning although if, as thought, Quibz is planning to do this in March the ice winter could be quite stunning as you squeeze passed the islets on the way in/out.

6 minutes ago, jonno said:

The Turku route is designed for those predominantly travelling for a lively break on board and duty free. Overnight each way by all means but there's not a lot to do in Turku for 9-10 hours before returning although if, as thought, Quibz is planning to do this in March the ice winter could be quite stunning as you squeeze passed the islets on the way in/out.

Turku's quite nice once you get to the town centre. And a morning or afternoon spent exploring the Bore is well worth it - although I'd still not want to do the sailing arriving at 7am if I could avoid it!

19 hours ago, jonno said:

Symphony to Helsinki, Europa to Tallinn. Overnight in an old town hotel, back to Helsinki on XPRS then back to Stockholm overnight on Gabriella with a respectable mid morning arrival... you'll even experience both Stockholm terminals.

Sorry Jonno and I do apologise, but I thought that if you did the 22h cruise Silja Europa to Tallinn you could not disembark the vessel until 9am in the morning?

Sorry Jonno and I do apologise, but I thought that if you did the 22h cruise Silja Europa to Tallinn you could not disembark the vessel until 9am in the morning?

You can buy the Europa as a one way ferry and disembark normally on arrival (although she's obviously slower than the two main ships).  But if you overnight on her, at some point in the evening they withdraw/close the gangway and don't put it back out again until the morning - she stays on the berth though.

Edited by hhvferry
  • Thanks 1

Yes as hhv say's travelling one way as a fare paying passenger means you can disembark as normal on arrival then they remove the gangway. Taxi's are about €5 or so into the old town which saves the legs but walking isn't too far if you're feeling energetic.

• Thanks 1