Sign in to follow this  
John M

Opinions please

We are booked on the Thursday night sailing from Plymouth - Roscoff on the Pont Aven. I have been keeping an eye on the web site for any cancellation or change to my booking. We have booked a hotel in Plymouth for Wednesday night intending to have a leisurely day in Plymouth prior to the sailing. Something made me call BF last Thursday only to be told that our sailing was cancelled. Our options were to go out a day later or a day earlier. We now sail on Wednesday night on the Armorique. Sadly our campsite cannot fit us in a day early so we have had to book a hotel in France for one night. Long and short we lost £78 by cancelling the hotel in Plymouth, (booked with no cancellation clause), and have had to pay £100 pounds for the hotel in France. BF have told us that we are not entitled to any compensation. Am I being unreasonable in thinking that I should receive some compensation? Not trying to make money out of this and would have been happy with even 50% of my costs. What is your opinion please?

I am sorry to hear your difficulties but could have suggested several alternative campsites which would have suited you after a Roscoff arrival, but it's too late for that if you have now booked a hotel. Can your travel insurance meet your extra costs? 

• Like 1

Yep I would definitely pursue them for it especially for the Plymouth hotel , same thing happened to my parents luckily they had a flex hotel booked ,you might bump into them a silver golf with two old biddies and an Ecossee sticker on it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wortley said:

I am sorry to hear your difficulties but could have suggested several alternative campsites which would have suited you after a Roscoff arrival, but it's too late for that if you have now booked a hotel. Can your travel insurance meet your extra costs? 

We know the area very well and did try several alternatives. Sadly with it being a bank holiday week in France accommodation is at a premium. We did consider our travel insurance but each hotel would be a separate claim and with a £75 excess it would not be worth the hassle. Thank you for your reply.

• Like 1

Check the terms and conditions of your booking, you may find that you are not entitled to compensation. You'll need to contact your travel insurance company. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John M said:

We know the area very well and did try several alternatives. Sadly with it being a bank holiday week in France accommodation is at a premium. We did consider our travel insurance but each hotel would be a separate claim and with a £75 excess it would not be worth the hassle. Thank you for your reply.

I would definitely pursue them, my parents last year got well compensated with the disruption at Ouistreham certainly more than was in the terms and conditions , it’s an interesting one with regards as you are still getting the service.

• Like 1

BF are fully aware of both the EU rules and their contracts. The simplest thing is to list your expenses with receipts into an email to Customer Services and see what the response is, generally they seem to be giving more than your 'rights' as compensation.

Re pre booked hotels, I must admit that I try very hard to pre book hotels that I can cancel at a day or two's notice.

Good Luck

• Like 1

What would have been the cost implications of the “day later” option?  Would BF would have covered the extra night in Plymouth?  Fair chance I’d have thought.

• Like 1

Some friends were booked on that ferry. They have transferred to Poole on the afternoon sailing and they have received a refund of £170. Hopefully you should be due a refund of some kind.

Thank you all very much for your opinions and advice. As this is the first issue to speak of from using BF for twenty or so years, we decided to put it down to experience. Imagine my surprise when I received an email from Christophe Mathieu offering a full explanation of the situation and an apology for the disruption caused to my travel plans. In recognition of the inconvenience I have been offered a credit of 25% of my outward journey fare. As a result of this offer, ( which I will gladly and thankfully accept), I am of the view that the fact that he chose to contact me and make this offer is typical of the good service I have come to expect from BF and I consider the issue closed. Well done and thank you Christophe and BF.

• Like 5

Being cynical I think that you got compensation because you mentioned your problems on here. BF have a presence on here and saw what a bad light they were being cast in so "hey presto" compo!

Edited by RayWild
spelling!

18 minutes ago, RayWild said:

Being cynical I think that you got compensation because you mentioned your problems on here. BF have a presence on here and saw what a bad light they were being cast in so "hey presto" compo!

I think that’s a bit disingenuous.  Whenever I have had any kind of issue with BF that has necessitated the involvement of Customer Service, I have made a point of not posting it on social media but treating it as a private matter between myself and BF.  And I have always found them to be keen to go way beyond the call of duty in helping to resolve the problem.  And whenever I’ve dealt with them I have never made it known that I am involved with BFE.  Customer Service (at least on the UK side) is simply outstanding with the way it deals with customers with a grievance, and I cannot speak highly enough of it.

In actual fact, I suspect that peddling a dispute all over social media, even when it remains live and not yet resolved, is the fastest way to make BF less inclined to be sympathetic towards one, not more.  In John M’s case, I suspect they had no knowldege of the link between the case they were dealing with for him, and his identity on here.

• Like 6

I am with Gareth on this.  We have had two problems over the years with Bf and have treated in an exemplary fashion far beyond ones expectations. One should approach BF first and only go on social media if the matter is not resolved in good time.

• Like 4

We have had a few issues over the years (not many)

Each time an email to customer services produced a response that more than met our expectations.

On one occasion we made it very clear that we were not actually complaining but making a suggestion of how they might do things  better. They sent us a 50 pound voucher for the restaurant, which we definitely were not expecting. 

Rhys

• Like 2

The apology email John M received is the one we all got for our cancelled crossings. We had two cancellations and so had two emails each offering a reduction on next year's crossings equivalent to 25% of the cancelled crossing. It'll be interesting as to how we claim this reduction.

• Like 1

It's also worth pointing out that he might go by the name of John M on here and use a photo of a man in perhaps his late forties, with a goatee and glasses. But out on the street 'he' could well be a glamorous blond 60-year-old grandmother called Barbara travelling with her equally-glamorous apricot poodle named Fifi. In which case, there is no way BF could make the connection. 😉 Ed. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

It's also worth pointing out that he might go by the name of John M on here and use a photo of a man in perhaps his late forties, with a goatee and glasses. But out on the street 'he' could well be a glamorous blond 60-year-old grandmother called Barbara travelling with her equally-glamorous apricot poodle named Fifi. In which case, there is no way BF could make the connection. 😉 Ed. 

Ha, ha, what a mixture of emotions your post brought me Cabin-boy. Flattery, hilarity and then wonder at how your mind works, lol. As it happens the picture is me, a 62 year old Scottish civil servant, six feet tall, 21 stone and heavily tattooed. Many of you will have seen me on BF journeys and not batted an eyelid but thank you for the laugh you gave me, I don't know how you knew about the apricot poodle though, lol. I will look at profile pictures in a different light now.

• Haha 1

BF the benevolent, please do me a favour, you believe that ... They will do the minimum required or preferably nothing. One trip we got a free cup of tea for the breakdown for an hour behind, the five hours late arrival we might have got the same but memory tells me nada because everyone had had enough. The time I had to come back with a different carrier changed times/ port nada

• Sad 1

On 15/07/2019 at 19:07, John M said:

Ha, ha, what a mixture of emotions your post brought me Cabin-boy. Flattery, hilarity and then wonder at how your mind works, lol. As it happens the picture is me, a 62 year old Scottish civil servant, six feet tall, 21 stone and heavily tattooed. Many of you will have seen me on BF journeys and not batted an eyelid but thank you for the laugh you gave me, I don't know how you knew about the apricot poodle though, lol. I will look at profile pictures in a different light now.

How about likes and dislikes, long walks in the rain, cry at Lassie movies? Just want to know how compatible we are, now that I've stumbled onto the BFE dating site.

Me, I'm 51, pisces, basically retired, over 6ft tall & 3ft wide, 21 stone too (yey), 13 in shoes, and one tattoo, voted most likely to succeed as a budgie. I think I've been seen on ferries too ( another yey). I enjoy ferry forums, writing and visiting France, Spain & Ireland.

I don't have an apricot poodle but I'm willing to adapt to any type of fruity canine for the right person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 27/05/2019 at 19:20, John M said:

We are booked on the Thursday night sailing from Plymouth - Roscoff on the Pont Aven. I have been keeping an eye on the web site for any cancellation or change to my booking. We have booked a hotel in Plymouth for Wednesday night intending to have a leisurely day in Plymouth prior to the sailing. Something made me call BF last Thursday only to be told that our sailing was cancelled. Our options were to go out a day later or a day earlier. We now sail on Wednesday night on the Armorique. Sadly our campsite cannot fit us in a day early so we have had to book a hotel in France for one night. Long and short we lost £78 by cancelling the hotel in Plymouth, (booked with no cancellation clause), and have had to pay £100 pounds for the hotel in France. BF have told us that we are not entitled to any compensation. Am I being unreasonable in thinking that I should receive some compensation? Not trying to make money out of this and would have been happy with even 50% of my costs. What is your opinion please?

Seriously though John by campsite I take it you mean a pre built tent, static or holiday home rather than your own gear? Your travel insurance should stump up something toward the French hotel.

5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well your thread title did ask for opinions, so I gave mine. 😉 Ed. 

And my reply was totally in jest. I am sorry if it seemed as though I was having a pop at you Ed, that was not my intent.  😃 John.

• Like 1