Sign in to follow this  
Northern_Si

Maritime passenger rights (EU Regulation 1177/2010)

Having been affected with the ongoing issues with the Pont-Aven which resulted in an additional 700km drove to Normandy on a alternative ferry back to Portsmouth, I’m interested if anyone understands Brittany Ferries obligations under the Maritime passenger rights (EU Regulation 1177/2010)?

So far, I’ve had £50 per person 'onwards travel allowance', the difference between the fare and I’m just been promised a check of £160 towards hotels  I enquired about the additional toll road charges and was told to claim on my holiday insurance.

For a company whose customer service I’ve championed, this seems rather pants.  It seems with the continued problems with the PA and the ten of thousands of disrupted passengers ... Brittany Ferries has gone into financial protection mode  

I'm I alone having issues?

10 hours ago, Millsy said:

A full statement of the minimum rights is here 

Cheers. But the problem with section 6 is that it assumes the vessel still departs from the same port ... not that the vessel is unavailable and you have to go elsewhere. 

I really am usually a champion on BFs customer service but I think they are hurting themselves over this mess. 

Agreed - the whole thing also seems underpinned by the notion that it is dealing with an easily repairable fault or some kind of 'omnibus service' where another one will be along in at the most three days. 

Edited by Millsy

BF have moved, sadly, a long way from the visions and intentions of the founding fathers ie Alexis Gourvennec. Today they are a corporate outfit run by accountants, as are most other entities in this modern era (so called). When the proverbial hits the fan the first instinct is to protect the bottom line of the accounts. That`s what they are doing. What they have overlooked is that they are already a high cost,high priced carrier, with little room to cut and slash their prices for next year to get the customers back. Although they seem to have reduced staff at their booking offices, relying on the web as usual until it all goes wrong.  

There isn`t any resiliance in their systems and certainly no planning for events like this. God forbid, but if another vessel was to go out of service they would not cope and the systems collapse. O`Leary has faced many of these storms, but his system at Ryanair has planning built in and due to lower costs gets customers back by slashing prices. Something BF cannot afford to do. Their cost base is ridiculous.

Edited by Paully
  • Like 1

I imagine that the the compensation for cancellations can be covered by the get out clause of:-

 extraordinary circumstances which could not have been reasonably avoided for example natural disasters or industrial action

However BF must learn from this and put in place better processes for managing large numbers of cancellations and changes, their current processes and teams cannot cope. Looking at the Twitter comments, the Irish team have huge problems managing the calls, the UK team can be ok sometimes and the Roscoff  and Social Media Team cope well - the best method for a UK booking is definitely a DM to the Social Media Team.

PS - those that booked a package with BF get all of their extra hotel costs paid for - that is the advantage of buying a package as opposed to separate bits.

David

Edited by David Williams

Maybe someone will decide to cut the Club Voyage fee next year as compensation / good will. But in the modern accountant driven world, I doubt it. 

It it is a shame you cannot get a modern equivalent of motor rail from Northern France to the Spanish border at a decent price. That would be some proper competition. 

• Like 2

Competition?  One way RyanAir flight from UK to Bilbao on 5 June is currently priced at £9 . Car hire available on arrival. 

6 minutes ago, wortley said:

Competition?  One way RyanAir flight from UK to Bilbao on 5 June is currently priced at £9 . Car hire available on arrival. 

True. But I hate Ryanair. That is one of the reasons I rarely fly from Manchester. 

15 minutes ago, wortley said:

A bit more difficult to take dogs, kitchen sink etc along for the ride and definitely more difficult to come back with 15 boxes of wine !

However, perfectly workable for a normal touring holiday.

The RyanAir comparison is a false one. Taking your own vehicle enables you to take large amounts of luggage and personal effects with you, necessary when passing through different climatic zones (and Spain has got several). That bumps up the cost on the low-cost air carriers by much more than the £9. And that is per person, so if two or more people are travelling, that can more than double the price. Then there is the cost of getting to, and probably staying near, your nearest RyanAir/EasyJet etc. airport. Car hire at the other end is cheap if you want a small runabout for a few days, expensive if you want anything better. Then the return flight is not necessarily the same as the outward one: again, double it for more than one person.

The short trip with minimal luggage is not, I would suggest, where BF is competing.

15 minutes ago, David Williams said:

and definitely more difficult to come back with 15 boxes of wine !

Is that it?......hardly worth going for🤣😂

Anything less than 500L is hand baggage......

We had some issues a few years back when the crews went on strike and BF "arranged" for us to come by via Calais.

Now, we use BF precisely because our home is in Fishguard and house in Guemene Sur Scorff which makes Dover Calais a total non choice for us. 

BF seemed incapable of grasping this at all at the time.

Rhys

I have noticed a lot of cheap one way flights out of the UK with the low costs carriers but it can be a different matter altogether if you want to come home again!

A bit like Wales used to be  then, it was free to leave but you had to pay to come back in.

Rhys

• Like 1

Going back 'on topic' 🙂. I don't believe the regs really considered you having to go to another country to get your ferry.   I do think it is very tight of BF not to stump up the French Tolls, limit the contribution toward to hotel to €80 (especially when they cancel it 2 days before you are due to go) and only provide £50 a person 'onwards travel allowance' which only just covered the petrol.

I can only imagine the chaos if we had left the EU end of March with no deal and required International Driving Permits.  I actually bought both (as France and Spain are on 2 different treaties)... but I wonder how many people who travelled UK to Spain would have bothered with the French one?

21 minutes ago, Northern_Si said:

I can only imagine the chaos if we had left the EU end of March with no deal and required International Driving Permits.  I actually bought both

'bought' or 'brought'? Are they not free? We weren't charged for ours.

33 minutes ago, Northern_Si said:

but I wonder how many people who travelled UK to Spain would have bothered with the French one?

That's a really good point. I, like you, have got both just in case I need them for any reason but many people would only get the Spanish one if they intend to get a direct ferry. Ed. 

10 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

The Post Office charges you.  £5.50 per permit.

11 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

You should have paid around five pounds per document. Are you confusing them with a green card? Ed. 

Hi

Just a thought a cabin cost around £130 a night on Pont Aven  so £80 for compensation for a hotel seems a little unfair?