DFDS 'Côte D’Opale'

TonyMWeaver

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, fiobhaniar said:

Off topic, but is the pier head in Calais still a good place for pictures now the new port has been finished? I'm guessing that's where these shots were taken.

Berth 7 , 8 and 9 of the current port will stay open .. In the new port u will have A restaurant with free access (like the current one) with a terrace and a view of the quays

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is Cote d'Opale now in dock for more work to prepare her for service or is she just moored? Also does anyone know when she is due to go into service and what will happen to Calais Seaways when she does?  

10 hours ago, Northy said:

Is Cote d'Opale now in dock for more work to prepare her for service or is she just moored? Also does anyone know when she is due to go into service and what will happen to Calais Seaways when she does?  

Not sure when service begins but many will be watching eagerly to see how she handles turnarounds.  

There are rumours that Calais Seaways will be going to Irish Ferries, though I've not seen anything to substantiate that myself.  

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to work out the pattern of rotations for DFDS on the Calais and Dunkerque routes?  Their timetables and booking engine don't give anything away in terms of what vessel is likely to be on what sailing.

2 hours ago, Lapper said:

Is it possible to work out the pattern of rotations for DFDS on the Calais and Dunkerque routes?  Their timetables and booking engine don't give anything away in terms of what vessel is likely to be on what sailing.

One ferry will be slower than all the others if what we are led to believe is true. That will be the E-Flexer! 🤣

Ed

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Côte D'Opale is currently in Calais after her post delivery stint in Dunkirk and some trials in Dover. After crossing from Dover she did a few ins and outs of the new harbour before coming on to Berth 9.

I've heard a suggestion that she is due to shift from Berth 9 at lunchtime on the 4th to Berth 11 in the new port where she will stay until her first advertised departure. Will she be running the first commercial service from the new port?

Edited by Timmy
typo

Côte D'Opale has now entered service from Calais.  She did indeed spend a large chunk of the day on Berth 11 in the new port where she had her naming ceremony but moved round to Berth 7 for her first commercial sailing after the Côte Des Flandres departed.

On arrival in Dover there was a fireworks display put on to welcome her.

For the moment it looks like she will be operating the following crossings:-

Ex Dover 0410, 0910, 1345, 1820 and 2305

Ex Calais 0230, 0740, 1225, 1700 and 2140

Edited by Timmy
typo
  • Like 1

I'd love to try her out as part of a long weekend in Ostend, or Le Touquet, however I still have no idea whether I can actually visit either of those places and come home again without having to deal with a raft of bureaucracy. I should imagine such confusion will be putting many potential travellers off at the moment. 

There are a couple of excellent articles with onboard photos on the NI Ferry website https://www.niferry.co.uk/.  Also the facebook page for Shipspotting DFDS has more content including some pics of the fireworks display that welcomed the arrival of her maiden crossing yesterday.  

I'd really like to travel on her as she looks great.  Be interesting to compare her with the Flandres and Dunes.  I thought the Dunes was rather spartan when I travelled on her a couple of years ago.  

Inside new £100 million ferry as operator remains optimistic about travel future | ITV News

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I have been staying in Dover for the last day or so, lovely time spent at the castle.

However watching the ships coming in and out, in my view the Côte D'Opale is the ugliest ship in town. The dark DFDS colours do nothing for the ship.

What angle are you looking at her from? Quayside or the clifftop path? 

Ed

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

What angle are you looking at her from? Quayside or the clifftop path? 

Ed

There was a clue when I said that I had visited the castle !

However, I am staying in the Premier Inn very close to the docks and can see the ferries from Marine Parade as well. 

When I was at one of lookout areas of the Castle, I got the welcome to France text on my phone.

11 minutes ago, David Williams said:

There was a clue when I said that I had visited the castle !

However, I am staying in the Premier Inn very close to the docks and can see the ferries from Marine Parade as well. 

When I was at one of lookout areas of the Castle, I got the welcome to France text on my phone.

Seen from above she's not too bad.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gazettenpdc.fr%2Fthumbs%2F1368%C3%971026%2Farticles%2F2021%2F06%2FGAZ62-Le-Ferry-Cote-d-Opale-29062021.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gazettenpdc.fr%2Farticle%2Fle-cote-d-opale-bientot-sur-le-detroit&tbnid=J_D27DKh3oE8PM&vet=12ahUKEwi44dG26IvzAhV_DmMBHecLAaMQMygDegUIARDnAQ..i&docid=ysbx69pj6W4JIM&w=1368&h=912&q=cote d'opale ferry&client=ms-android-samsung-ga-rev1&ved=2ahUKEwi44dG26IvzAhV_DmMBHecLAaMQMygDegUIARDnAQ

Ed