Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BF Enthusiast

Recent Stena Crossing

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

Having recently travelled on the Stena Hollandica from Hawrich, I just thought I would mention how impressed I was with the cabins. We had a Comfort Class Cabin, with tv, fridge with complimentary water, fruit juices, beers, wine and snacks.😁.

The beds were very comfortable with the lower bed being a double.

They even had a separate shower to the toilet, and plenty of on tap shower gel.

The ship had a relaxed ambiance, but I feel not the intimate experience of BF, nor was the food as good.

That said, if the cabins, Windows/port holes on the new BF ships are of the same quality and size, we should be in for a treat with the new ships.

One strange occurrence on the way back, Friday 31st, half way across, we came to a complete stop, and turned 90 degrees to starboard.

I am not sure if it was a result of a tanker ship crossing our path, (the horn was blown) or if we lost power, as some say the cabin lights went off momentarily. (It was the 14.15 sailing back from Holland.

I would guess it was a result of the other ship? Interested to know what you think.

Cheers,

James 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BF Enthusiast said:

One strange occurrence on the way back, Friday 31st, half way across, we came to a complete stop, and turned 90 degrees to starboard.

I am not sure if it was a result of a tanker ship crossing our path, (the horn was blown) or if we lost power, as some say the cabin lights went off momentarily. (It was the 14.15 sailing back from Holland.

 

 

Did the Tanker cross left to right or right to left?  How many blasts of the horn was there? If it was left to right and tanker wasn't Constrained by Draught, Restricted in Ability to Manouver or Not Under Command then it sounds like it was a 'port side charlie' that didn't give way to the Stena ship as required and as result a bold alteration of course to starboard and reduction of speed was made. If it was right to left then not so good for the Stena.

 

Edited by Timmy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Timmy,

The tanker came from right to left.

Visibility was very good. I would have thought right have way would have been sorted without the need to cut power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BF Enthusiast said:

Hi Timmy,

The tanker came from right to left.

Visibility was very good. I would have thought right have way would have been sorted without the need to cut power.

Assuming the Tanker is linked to the manoeuvre and all was well on both ships the Stena Hollandica would have been taking action as per rules 8, 15 and 16.

However on reading your original message again the ship may have been experiencing some technical difficulties as coming to a stop and then turning 90° could be an indication that the ship was not under power at that time.  If you stop the shafts the ship will pretty rapidly go whichever way wind and tide want her to go.   In which case  she would be Not Under Command and it would be the Tanker's responsibility to keep clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used the Harwich - Hook a number if times on business and I do like the solid regularity of the service with the two big boats. The cabins are excellent, the self-service is a bit ho-hum, but the restaurant is good. Not quite so haute-cuisine as BF but repeat good. A couple of months ago we went Harwich - Hook on the night ferry and there was a substantial delay, but the restaurant was open, bookings respected, staff cheerful. Top marks.

Next adventure I have a meeting in Antwerp, so it's back to the Dover - Dunkirk run with DFDS. This can be a bit mixed but again, it's a nice regular service and I pay for the lounge and flop out for a couple of hours. After that I need to drive back Antwerp to Normandie and hope my Bip is still working ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2019 at 22:06, veryoldbear said:

I've used the Harwich - Hook a number if times on business and I do like the solid regularity of the service with the two big boats. The cabins are excellent, the self-service is a bit ho-hum, but the restaurant is good. Not quite so haute-cuisine as BF but repeat good. A couple of months ago we went Harwich - Hook on the night ferry and there was a substantial delay, but the restaurant was open, bookings respected, staff cheerful. Top marks.

Next adventure I have a meeting in Antwerp, so it's back to the Dover - Dunkirk run with DFDS. This can be a bit mixed but again, it's a nice regular service and I pay for the lounge and flop out for a couple of hours. After that I need to drive back Antwerp to Normandie and hope my Bip is still working ...

I agree, the cabins offered on the Stena twins are quite simply superb, and, even with a substantial delay there is plenty of time to make up ground on the crossing as the vessels dock well before dis-embarkation time. Indeed, I remember travelling overnight towards Harwich and the coastline of south east England was clearly visible before retiring admittedly rather late in the early hours.

 

Although the self-service my not be the highest standard of food, at least it is more affordable and effective (as in you can be in and out quite quickly and quite informal) in comparison to DFDS Newcastle-Ijmuiden where you only have the choice of an a la carte restraunt or costly buffet to eat and no option of a quick 'in and out' bite to eat.

When it comes to cost effectiveness over enthusiast mini cruise - Stena is miles ahead on UK-Dutch routes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...