Sign in to follow this  
GammaT

Night sailings and dining

I am travelling Portsmouth to Caen overnight, and wondering if the catering and dining outlets will be open.   Any experience of these night crossings and eating arrangements would be welcome.

The on board cafeteria will be open but with a 2245 departure it's probably better to have a meal in the Portsmouth area beforehand and go to bed when you are on the ferry - making  full use of your cabin which you have for little enough time on that crossing. 

Yes, I don’t think the restaurant will be open either in the evening or in the morning.  But the self-service will be, briefly.  As Wortley says, the crossing is so short there is only really time to sleep so better to eat ashore before boarding.

I do the Poole - Cherbourg overnights when I can.  I eat at my normal mealtimes at home which is 5-6pm, but when I used the Caen crossing I had to get to Portsmouth first so I ate in the Spice Island pub, just got to Portsmouth a bit earlier so I could do this. Once on board I just had a look around the on board shop, think I remember having one last coffee, then bed.  I cannot eat late at night anyway, or I’ll get an unpleasant night’s sleep.