Eriba-ist

Cap Finistere & Storm Miguel

Before departing Bilbao Thurs afternoon I had looked at an app called 'Meteo Consult Maritime' and the Wind/Swell map did not make for pleasant reading, so I was fully expecting a very lumpy crossing and very relieved when the crossing turned out to be relatively free of motion.  Having arrived home this evening I was surprised to read a BBC report about Storm Miguel.  Seems we were exceedingly lucky to have avoided it!

That's good to hear because we will be on her tomorrow night. To be fair, it's usually a pretty comfortable ride on her, with the exception of the de-luxe cabins which, being at the front, feel the worst of any appreciable swell. A strange place to put them.

As the link in the original post says, three volunteers from the SNSM (the French equivalent of the RNLI) died last Friday when their rescue boat overturned in the waves and was unable to re-right itself when the windows were broken by the force of the water. They have been posthumously awarded the Legion d'Honeur by President Macron (a sort of cross between a George Cross and OBE) and he will attend their funerals later this week. The association is financed partially by donations from the public and the local authorities in coastal areas contribute 20% of the running costs. According to a report on TV this evening, last year there was a deficit of 4 million euros as they don't generate enough revenue through their fund-raising activities to break even and buy all the latest material they need. If anyone, during the summer holidays, is accosted in the street and asked to donate to a guide-dog charity or Amnesty etc, I'd suggest you politely decline as they are awash with cash and can't work out how to spend it all (the Guide Dogs here in Angers are unbelievably rich - I can give you more information if you are interested). Instead, why not put your leftover euros into one of the boxes inside most of the ferry terminal buildings and I think on board certain vessels? Ed. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Thanks for that very sad update Ed...The circumstances were all the more tragic in that they died, volunteering, to save the lives of others, as do our much loved and respected RNLI. On the finance front, maybe worth another e mail to Christophe Mathieu suggesting a more formal collecting scheme on board BF ships. It would no doubt be well supported by passengers.

• Like 5

That’s a fabulous idea Paully.

(I suppose, tempered with the PR considerations associated with raising to high profile, among the ordinary travelling public, the risk of things going wrong at sea).

• Like 1

I’d certainly urge anybody who is fiscally resident in France to consider making charitable contributions to something of their choosing.

As a tax payer, you get 66% relief, so (at the risk of stating the bloody obvious) every €100 costs you just €34.  The donation is ‘top-stopped’ at around €500 p.a. though.

You’ll get a verification document, although the French ‘HMRC’ won’t ask for it in all probability.  SNSM sounds like a really good recipient, albeit in tragic circumstances.

Just another example of the great work the RNLI do and the lack of understanding that some people have. 

Broken link deleted go to this thread for details

Edited by Millsy
broken link removed
  • Sad 1