wortley

Boarding Armorique

I'd love to see the stern door drop and the ribs zip up onboard bond-style;-) That's how I roll.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but also about boarding Armorique...we have booked a club plus in August.  However, I am temporarily in a wheelchair.  Dies zntine know the boarding procedures for disabled people? We could switch our cabin to accessible but Arm only has 2 berth accessible cabins and we have our 2 small kids with us so hoping I can get through the door in the normal cabin. 

Will call bf to enquire but if anyone has any previous experience I'd be glad for it. Thanks 

Tumnus2010 ...........

Mrs G uses a wheelchair - she can walk reasonably well, but tires quickly and finds supermarkets and places where there are people 'milling around' a bit hazardous.   Accordingly, we have now done several trips where we have got the wheelchair out of the car and used it around the ship. 

Firstly, contact BF customer service and ask for 'disabled status'.  From the sound of it, you'll need 'P' (priority) as opposed to 'C' (comfort). A large sticker is put on your windscreen at check-in. The difference between the two is basically whether you'll be using a wheelchair onboard and absolutely need to be really close to a lift, or whether you're 'walking wounded' and want to be close to a lift but a few car lengths away is OK. Getting a wheelchair out of your car and getting yourself in to it when there are other cars driving around you is not to be recommended, so make sure that its registered as a 'P' - the crew are very good at giving you the space and time to sort yourself out.  At the risk of stating the obvious, try to ensure that unloading the chair is as slick a process as you can make it - having to unload most of the car's contents to unearth it would be somewhat stressful !

In our experience, movement from the garage to the lift vestibule is OK - no impassable 'ridges'.

We have found that wheelchair access to cabins on the PA was OK, but not on the Bretagne (just a few cms too tight), but it may well depend on your wheelchair and the cabin door size on the Armorique.  In truth, you're going to have to find out on the day and be prepared to 'bale out' in order to get through the door.  Presumably you are able to take a few steps?  If not, mention this to customer service and I don't doubt that they'll be able to sort out a crew member to assist.

Movement around the ship is fine, but we have fitted a bicycle bell to the wheelchair handles, not just for on the ship but also busy places like markets.  People don't mean any harm, but often lack any spatial awareness and start walking backwards or (worst of all) walk straight towards you whilst on their phone !!

Re-joining your vehicle is rarely a problem - it always takes ages before you're able to move off as you are certainly aware.

You'll note that our experience relates to PA & Bretagne out of Portsmouth and St Malo, but BF procedures over all this are almost certainly common throughout the fleet.  Hope that helps & all the best.

• Thanks 2

I just checked the weather, and even parts of the Brittany West Coast tomorrow are 35 degrees... quite unusual. I wonder if there will be a spike in last minute bookings from people who have left things late this year due to all the Brexit stuff, and want to go somewhere hot without spending a fortune....

31 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I just checked the weather, and even parts of the Brittany West Coast tomorrow are 35 degrees... quite unusual. I wonder if there will be a spike in last minute bookings from people who have left things late this year due to all the Brexit stuff, and want to go somewhere hot without spending a fortune....

I would think the crossings in themselves could be great, out in the sea air in the middle of the channel, out on open decks.  Would imagine very refreshing.  I don’t cope very well with intense hot weather so I will staying this side of the channel myself, hot enough here!

We are up to 36°C here in Angers right now which appears to just be a warm-up exercise for tomorrow. There is also a stiff breeze blowing which is unusual but makes for a sensation akin to walking through a giant Dyson Airblade. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

We are up to 36°C here in Angers right now

That’s a bit chilly !    It hit 39C here in the Gard this afternoon - the forecast is for 40C+ tomorrow & Friday.

Basically, its do anything that you need to do before 10.00, otherwise forget it until 21.00.  The rest of the day, lay low.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hf_uk said:

We were in Dinard and St Malo today and it fells a lot hotter than the forecasted temperature to be honest I’m glad I’m going home tomorrow my freckles can’t take much more , got this text of BF.

” Please note that high temperatures are predicted across France when you sail. If you are travelling with a pet, please take extra precautions to ensure they are cool when travelling in your car, especially if you have a flat-faced dog with you. You may prefer to travel on an overnight sailing as it may be more comfortable for your dog, if so, please get in touch.”

Armorique is great for wheelchairs or even electric scooters. Best disabled cabins. Madame solos happily on her, but also on Pont Aven and Bretagne. She does have an icebreaker attitude and approach....

Hot up the Rance today Neil. Retreated to our boat on her mooring this afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish we had some of the heat in Plymouth. Windy as hell today. I would imagine PA will have a heck of a job berthing this afternoon!