Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

Fingers crossed for a full house

I'll be on Condor Rapide this afternoon to Jersey to try and finally complete the full list of accessible Channel Islands. I've obviously done the easy ones (Jersey and Guernsey) many times and the slightly more complicated ones (Herm, Sark and Alderney) a couple of times each. The final three have taken a bit more planning and luck. I managed to get to the Ecrehous reef back in 2017 (there is a report on here somewhere) and finally did Lihou (off the west coast of Guernsey) in April when the tide was low enough to get across the causeway. I obviously can't get to Jethou or Brecqhou unless the private owners (Mr. and Mr. Barclay et al.) are reading this and give me an invite and send the helicopter over to pick me up. So that only leaves the Miniquers reef to the south of Jersey. I tried going over last year on the same mid-June weekend only for the trip to be cancelled 15 minutes before departure due to the rain closing in and ended up going back the the Ecrehous the following day as I was there anyway for the weekend. So, tomorrow lunchtime I'm again booked on the RIB from St Helier for a 30-minute high-speed cruise there, a quick wander round and then back to Jersey with perhaps a dolphin or two for good measure. If it's cancelled again, so be it, but I remain confident. Fingers crossed!

Ed

• Like 2

I haven't actually been inside the St Malo ferry terminal building for a couple of years but I now see (and can intimately feel) that the poultry-cage seats are still there. The renovation work can't come soon enough. Ed 

DSC_1010.JPG

A few months back there was some discussion about if, and under what circumstances, the second smaller linkspan at St Malo is still used. I can confirm it is, as I just walked down it straight from the terminal building as Condor Goodwill is on the main berth right now. So it must be used every Saturday afternoon at least. Ed

DSC_1012.JPG

• Thanks 1

Even with Rapide on the berth, there is still plenty of room for a decrepit Russian freighter to pass by and enter the lock. Ed

DSC_1018.JPG

• Like 1

It's the first time I've ever taken the Saturday afternoon crossing to Jersey and it's packed. There is a sort of happy, party atmosphere on board. I guess the vast majority of the passengers (and most appeared to be on foot) are Jersey residents who came over to St Malo on the morning crossing, have spent a few hours shopping and eating and drinking, and are now on their way home. 

Since my last crossing in April Condor have installed seat covers on all the chairs. Very smart grey ones on the upper deck and blue on the larger, lower deck. 

Ed

6 hours ago, colin said:

Enjoy the southernmost toilet in the UK. 

The CI are not in the UK. Channel Islanders will tell you that England is part of the CI since they invaded in 1666.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

The CI are not in the UK. Channel Islanders will tell you that England is part of the CI since they invaded in 1666.

They are all too drunk to be doing much invading this afternoon. 😊 Ed. 

• Haha 1

Another island for completists is Chausey, which is geographically though not politically a ‘Channel Island’. It’s easily accessible from Granville, giving a very enjoyable day out, with a restaurant and shop and some nice beaches. A few people live there all year in some charming cottages. It’s surrounded by a huge area of dangerous reefs which are exposed at low tide, so some similarities with ‘our’ islands further north.

Of course it might be argued that the Isle of Wight is also a ‘Channel Island’, but the only people who really believe that are companies trying to extort extra charges when asked to deliver here.

• Like 1

Chausey is great, I agree. 

As to my Miniquiers trip, guess what? Cancelled again. This time the sea state is too rough for the crossing. Or they judge it will be too uncomfortable for the passengers. So what to do in Jersey for the day now? 😕 Ed. 

Takes a bit of planning, but a trip to Burhou can be magical. They won't take you over during the breeding season, but a couple of years ago they installed a webcam in the puffin breeding area. May still be there, I don't know.

I suppose that Burhou is probably the most northerly of the accessible islands.

Edited by rogerpatenall

28 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

Takes a bit of planning, but a trip to Burhou can be magical. They won't take you over during the breeding season, but a couple of years ago they installed a webcam in the puffin breeding area. May still be there, I don't know.

I suppose that Burhou is probably the most northerly of the accessible islands.

I didn't include that one on my list as I'm only doing those with habitable structures (and not lighthouses) on them. But if I'm ever on Alderney, and the trip is available, I'll be first in line. Ed. 

Chausey during big tides (+/-13m) is unbelievable. We avoid the scrum of the Sound, and poke in to a deep pool just SW of the Îles Aneret. At high water we see straight across to Grande Île, whilst at low water it is like being on the moon. We spend two or three nights there half a dozen times a year.

• Like 1

I actually think that my trip was cancelled due to a lack of reservations and not the weather. There seem to have only been 3 of us booked for a trip which could accept 12. The rival company has a policy of 5 minimum to make it worthwhile but I can't find such a clause for the company I was due to travel with. 

So, instead of the Miniquiers I went to Elizabeth Castle for a guided tour which was interesting. I also managed to travel there and back on Charming Nancy (sister to Charming Betty) which is half ferry, half bus, half land-rover. When the tide is out she trundles across the sand next to the pedestrian causeway and when it's in she engages her propeller and chugs over. I hadn't travelled on her before so that's another new ferry to add to my list. 😀 Ed. 

DSC_1023.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I didn't include that one on my list as I'm only doing those with habitable structures (and not lighthouses) on them. But if I'm ever on Alderney, and the trip is available, I'll be first in line. Ed. 

There is a 'hut' which is habitable. But there are no organised trips, as such - you have to make arrangements through the States Office

5 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

There is a 'hut' which is habitable. But there are no organised trips, as such - you have to make arrangements through the States Office

Oh, drat! Right, a habitable building and a stone jetty on which to disembark. Now don't tell me it has one of those too. 😂 Ed.