Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

Fingers crossed for a full house

I haven't been for many years - and there was no jetty then, just the rocks. (Any Alderney Old-Timers here may remember the 'Cerealia'. I've got a photo somewhere in the archives, but can't locate it at the moment.

‚ÄĆSo, to keep you up to date with progress, I have now rebooked for another attempt at the Miniquiers. I need to be in Normandy (near Granville) on the Friday evening and Monday morning so that gives me the perfect opportunity to pop over to Jersey to try and get to the islands. It also means, happily, I can renew my acquaintance with Manche Iles Express which I¬†last used 10 years ago. I have decided to do a fairly complicated combination of ferries to get the most out of the weekend and had to book by phone as the website was unable to offer all the permutations I wanted combined in a single booking. However, the price actually turned out cheaper by phone. I'm getting the Victor Hugo which I've been on before (unfortunately they have swapped their ferries around so the newer Granville which I've never tried is on the northern route now -drat!) in the morning on Saturday 14th September to St Helier. My RIB trip is in the afternoon so I've booked a cheap hotel for the night just in case the RIB is delayed getting back into St Helier and I miss the return connection. Then, what to do on Sunday 15th? I have booked to go to Sark for a few hours. I'll get about 5 hours on the island and have reserved a hire bike to make the most of the time. What I don't yet know is which of the Manche Iles boats will be doing the Sark run on the Sunday. Both are due in St Helier in the morning at about the same time - Victor Hugo from Granville and Granville from Carteret (I know it's confusing) so it could be I get to try out the latter after all. I then get the ferry back to Granville via Jersey with a brief stopover for immigation procedures in the evening. All four ferry trips combined came to 69‚ā¨ which strikes me as really good value as when I tried to book the individual legs online I was up to around 96‚ā¨. So, again, fingers crossed that this time I really will get there! Ed

• Like 4

Sounds great Ed, hope it all goes well. ¬†Then I'll have a new challenge for you - Burhou! ūü§£

Make sure you take the¬† bread rolls with you...You will need sustainance for that kind of ordealūü§£...Bon Chance, sounds goods

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Oh - I just saw that's already been discussed!

And ruled out as not fulfilling the criteria required for inclusion: a habitable building and a stone jetty or causeway. Ed. 

21 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

And ruled out as not fulfilling the criteria required for inclusion: a habitable building and a stone jetty or causeway. Ed. 

aka you don‚Äôt fancy it! ūü§£

If I'm in Alderney (and it's something of a mission to get there) and a trip is available, I'll go but the planning will be even more complicated than for the Miniquiers. Ed. 

• Like 1

In Jersey with 20 Muscadets.... Plywood boxes with sails and crew who love to party. Had to tow one from the east side of the M'inquiètes when their rudder broke. Arrived 0245 in St Hélier and the festivities started. Hope we don't upset anyone else this evening....

Ed I was just going to suggest that Colin may be able to take you to Burhou if you ask him nicely! ūüėÄ

On 23/08/2019 at 13:43, Paully said:

Make sure you take the¬† bread rolls with you...You will need sustainance for that kind of ordealūü§£...Bon Chance, sounds goods

Found 'em!! Just got back from a couple of days at Bagnoles de l'Orne (Hotel Spa du Beryl - Highly recommended). And bingo.

Bread roll.jpg

• Like 1

Wonderful......We`ll have to have an enthusiast`s¬†weekend to said establishment¬†ūüėā..That meal looks delightful

The sort of hotel that does expensive meals, but this (filet mignon au sauce camembert - it is in Orne, after all) was part of the two course ‚ā¨17 menu. Top notch and you are treated just as royally as if you had chosen the top price menu, and¬†with a table on the terrace overlooking the lake and, joy of joys,¬†unlimited triangular ¬†buns.¬†

• Like 1

Third time lucky!

The sun is out, the sky is blue, the wind's quite low and the wave-height too.
The ferry's on time, I've just checked in, an hour to kill and the wait's borin'.
I got up at six, drove into town, parked the car, had a wander up and down.
So over to Jersey and then the Minkies, this time I'd just like to get there, please! 
If it's cancelled again I'll have to make trip number four, getting to these rocks is a bit of a chore.
Here we go, the boat's ready to depart, it's a high-speed one so let the vomiting start.
I'm about to lose phone coverage, so wish me luck, if I don't get there this time you'll all hear a very loud............

Ed. 
(Granville ferry port, 14 September 2019)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Third time lucky!

The sun is out, the sky is blue, the wind's quite low and the wave-height too.
The ferry's on time, I've just checked in, an hour to kill and the wait's borin'.
I got up at six, drove into town, parked the car, had a wander up and down.
So over to Jersey and then the Minkies, this time I'd just like to get there, please! 
If it's cancelled again I'll have to make trip number four, getting to these rocks is a bit of a chore.
Here we go, the boat's ready to depart, it's a high-speed one so let the vomiting start.
I'm about to lose phone coverage, so wish me luck, if I don't get there this time you'll all hear a very loud............

Ed. 
(Granville ferry port, 14 September 2019)

Good luck Ed..hope it works out this time..but you are a glutton for punishmentūü§£..mindJthose jersey day trippers as well

Arrrggghh!!!

"Good morning due to a mechanical/electronic fault , I need too postpone the trip to the Minquiers until tomorrow, same time. If you could confirm ,and apologises for the inconvenience, regards, M****"

Ed. 

I was in Granville yesterday evening after Cherbourg. Lovely day for Les Minquiers today. Sorry it's gone to sh1t.

If you can wait, and plan ahead, we can organise an exclusive BFE members special to the southernmost crapper in the British isles, from St Malo. Share of cost +/- 50‚ā¨.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colin said:

I was in Granville yesterday evening after Cherbourg. Lovely day for Les Minquiers today. Sorry it's gone to sh1t.

If you can wait, and plan ahead, we can organise an exclusive BFE members special to the southernmost crapper in the British isles, from St Malo. Share of cost +/- 50‚ā¨.

The idea of how to get to the islands certainly needs a rethink. The conditions today and tomorrow are perfect. Unfortunately I can't go tomorrow as suggested as 1st I'm booked to go to Sark and 2nd I am a bit wary in case the RIB trip gets delayed coming back and I can't check-in on time for the return to France. That's why I stayed on today, for the same reason. 

So what did I do today in Jersey? No Gareth, I didn't visit the zoo. I rented an electric bike (£28 for the day) and kept it for around 4 hours. I did a round trip of approximately 75% of Jersey's coastline (cutting a couple of corners - see photos) and racked up 33 miles in around 3 hours. I only tested an electric bike for the first time last weekend and was really impressed how I sailed up hills (and here they can be rather steep) that I wouldn't normally tackle on my mountain bike. I returned the electric bike with only 5% charge left on the battery but the range could have been improved of I'd pedalled a bit more energetically at times to conserve power. Tomorrow I've got a classic bike booked for Sark but the islands is basically a flat plateau once you've climbed the hill from the harbour. This evening I took a bus out to the Corbiere lighthouse to get some photos at sunset. Condor Liberation steamed (or limped) part at more or less the same time. Ed. 

DSC_0724.JPG

DSC_0723.JPG

The four trips with Manche-Iles-Express this weekend were very efficient. At the check-in on Saturday mornng I was given all the tickets in one go, the ferry left on time and was at least 90% full including a coach-load of Belgian tourists. It was fairly rough out there and there were a lot of unwell passengers. I went out onto the rear deck to enjoy the fresh air. Immigration checks only took around 10 minutes in Jersey and the officer who processed me was the same one I had in June at the Condor terminal so that must explain why the Normandy boats arrive after the St Malo one - so the officials have time to walk around the corner between terminals.

On Sunday morning I simply exchanged my ticket for a boarding card (only required now for the inter-island legs whereas they used to be given out on the international legs too) and sat around in the waiting room. You couldn't see them in the photo I posted on the other thread but there were some excellent deep armchairs and coffee tables in there too which were exceptionally comfortable for a waiting room. We left around 15 minutes late as some passengers from the Carteret boat had to switch to ours for Sark (the boat was virtually full). This meant we arrived a little late and then had to wait offshore for a further 10 minutes due to 'congestion in the port' (according to the crew) which if you've ever been to Sark Harbour you will know means there's some local in an inflatable dingy trying to start his outboard and blocking access to the steps.

After a great day cycling around the island (I'll post photos later) I got another bording card and we got back onboard. This time the boat was packed and there were no spare seats at all. We left late again due to two Guernsey boats picking up passengers first. When we got back to Jersey, anyone for Granville was told to stay onboard while they offloaded the Jersey contingent and collected to daytrippers etc. This means that I never passed through any immigration checks leaving the Channel Islands, only a baggage scan on Sunday morning on my way to Sark. We got back to Ganville about 15 minutes later than sceduled which is hardly too bad and the crossing was really calm.

As you saw, my RIB trip was again cancelled for the Saturday afternoon. The excuse about mechanical faults may be genuine but I have two other possible explanations. First, it was a little rough out there in the morning and he may have decided that the comfort levels would be at the limits of what is acceptable for a 30-minute trip. Therefore he used a different excuse for me as  rough weather was the one he used last time in June. Second, on Saturday evening I caught a bus out to the Corbiere lighthouse to see (and photograph) the sunset. While sitting on a bench and enjoying the view I saw a RIB belonging to the company (they do have several) rounding the point at 7pm with 10 passengers (out of a maximum of 12) onboard. I just wonder if perhaps somebody asked him for a last-minute charter of a RIB for the day to go to Sark or Herm and the price was more lucrative than running the two Minqiuers trips scheduled for Saturday and so he cancelled and tried to postpone them. It's pure supposition on my part but I don't recall seeing a Sark/Herm option on the booking engine for that day when I made my reservation and now can't check as they have dropped off the list. Anyway, I'm going to have to rethink the strategy for next year. Or learn to swim more than five yards. Ed

• Like 1