Fingers crossed for a full house

Cabin-boy

I raced a German couple on converging paths through the gorse bushes (we could only see eachother's heads) to get to this bench first. They were very gracious in defeat and I'm sure 'Englisher schweinhund' translates as 'It's all yours, English gentleman'. A perfect spot to admire Guernsey and Herm. Ed. 

DSC_0742.JPG

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 5 months later...

Good news! I've rebooked this trip for a fourth attempt on Saturday 23rd May.

Better news! I've also booked a Manche Iles Express crossing from Carteret to Jersey that morning and back in the evening to get me there. That allows me to use what I think is the last Normandy port with an international ferry service that I haven't yet tried.

Best news! I should hopefully get to travel on the ferry Granville (assuming they don't switch the two again) and compare her to Victor Hugo.

Fingers crossed!

Ed

• Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 21:45, Cabin-boy said:

I raced a German couple on converging paths through the gorse bushes (we could only see eachother's heads) to get to this bench first

And  managed to be first to throw your towel on the bench .

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I'm now not very optimistic about this happening in late May. Even if the lockdown ends and the ferry runs (and if it does, I'll be on it for sure) the trip out to the Miniquiers may not run. At present I'm the only confirmed passenger out of twelve and they won't go without at least 6 I suspect. There could obviously be a last minute rush if the weather is good and Jersey locals fancy a trip 'overseas'. If it doesn't run I'll have to rebook for a later date. Manche Isles are already saying that any cancelled crossing will be compensated with an 18-month voucher. Ed. 

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Is he any good?  Most people in St Malo working in the marine sector seem to proudly state their pirate heritage.  Ed.

Well if he’s from Ayrshire according to Rabbie Burrns he should be an “honest man “ but then there’s was something about “bonnie lasses” coming from Ayr which I’m not so sure about 😉

• Haha 1

And I am actually a Minihicois rather than a Malouin, so we share the maritime traditions of the Terre Neuve (Grand Banks) fishing, but can distance ourselves from some other activities practised by those living on the other bank. An interesting bit of trivia is that only one Malouinière (manor houses mainly built by ship owners) is on our side of the Rance, at Montmarin, where, like many other spots, there was a busy boatyard back in the day.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Right, Manche Iles Express have just sent me my voucher (valid for 18 months as per EU rules) for the Sat 23 May crossing which has unsurprisingly been cancelled.

I've emailed the RIB tours company to explain the situation and assume they will give me a further credit note.

I'm effectively 'cancelling' the trip myself this time but I made it clear that I expected them to do the same anyway so it should not penalise me.

I know that I am still the only booked passenger so it would most likely have been cancelled in any case due to lack of people. 

Ed.

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I know that I am still the only booked passenger so it would most likely have been cancelled in any case due to lack of people. 

I wouldn’t be too harsh on yourself Ed.  I’m sure you do qualify as a person really! 🤣

The manager/skipper who runs the trips has told me I can rebook the trip when it's possible. 

What is particularly annoying is that the trip does actually seem to be going ahead (without me) on Saturday as they have been given permission to run trips by the Jersey authorities if they carry fewer passengers. Whether they will sell all the seats, I don't know. 

If sailings to Jersey are allowed to resume in mid-June (see the Sailing Updates thread) and Manche Iles restart their services it might be possible to do the trip on Sunday 21 June. Watch this space!

Ed. 

• 1 year later...

Attempt number 5 (I think, but may have lost count) is now booked.

Thursday 12 August - out on Condor Voyager (ex-NEX) in the morning (and I'll see what they've changed onboard). Then the RIB trip to the Minquiers after lunch and back to St Malo on Voyager in the evening. I'm taking my car so there is plenty of scope for cheese imports.

Currently fully vaccinated people don't need a PCR test to enter France from the UK (and Jersey seems to be included in that) so it should all be a doddle. I'll be given a free PCR on arrival in St Helier but will most likely have left the island by the time the result comes through. I may do an Antigen test in France the day before leaving just as a precaution.

Ed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Williams said:

The Electric one ?

Do the French Customs confiscate your car if used for smuggling ? 

No the petrol one. Jersey has never been in the EU so the limits and rules won't have changed and I've never had an issue before. 

Ed