Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Point Du Hoc

Well, thought I’d make a brief voyage report and put some pics up of the trip to the Point Du Hoc.  Crossing was the night crossing from Poole which was excellent as I have long missed overnights from Poole - I find them very helpful and preferable to the night crossings from France.  This particular Brexit timetable is quite good really, only wish is that they would replace the 3.30 return trip to 18.30.  This is adequate enough though the way it is as I got back to Poole in daylight and nice to go past the coastal scenery just before sunset, the usual arrival home it is dark.  

Crossing was the usual Barfy, I was in an outside cabin, sea was calm and she was very comfortable. 

I notice announcements are given in Spanish now, that is new to me.  I went to the cabin for a shower and bed as soon as boarded, apart from a wander round the shop.  Both cafes were open.  The return crossing I did my shopping and settled down for a tuna nicoise salad which was very welcome as I was very hungry having hardly not eaten or drank much since Friday lunchtime (due to wanting to avoid looking for toilets while out driving)  

The drive though Normandy to the Point Du Hoc was lovely, the scenery beautiful.  Took about an hour to drive there, we drove under the Carenten Canal Bridge which I googled when I got home, to look at from above.  Pascal said as we were driving under it that there is a “river above us”  I was like, “What????”  Bit bemused about that so looked it up on the crossing home.  Incredible structure.  Pascal also drove me past Grandcampe Maisy to point it out as I mentioned it from another post on here, and we will go there soon.  The Isigny butter factory caugnt my eye as I said elsewhere, they had a collection “hole in the wall” machine like a cashpoint sort of thing that you but your (raw milk I presume) so we will stop off at that next time and buy some.  We were really pushed for time so we couldn’t really stop off too many places!

Point Du Hoc was very interesting indeed.  I think you need to spend a good three hours there, we spent about two due to time restraints.  It is fenced off around the cliff edge, the coastal scenery is stunning around there, very beautiful.  The actual site is as expected, pockmarked with deep craters and ruins of bunkers.  Lots of birdsong as well about at this time of the year.  Unfortunately a few of the ruins have succumbed to graffiti, which is a shame, why do people have to do that.  Lots of people about, we avoided the rain, but I got that on the crossing back!

Had a very interesting day out, now to start working out a visit to Maisy!

FC55801F-1CB7-4126-88D5-5FD1FA2FEEED.jpeg

69A46CCE-832C-4EA0-ABCB-50209C04ADE1.jpeg

65B78A3D-AB54-4253-8B01-3CB04819C744.jpeg

E3E36652-6DEE-45CB-B4FE-84475BE5869E.jpeg

5E437794-64EA-4EC0-8B86-38AA73D7D78E.jpeg

• Like 3

One last of loads of poppies we passed and we stopped to take photos.  It was, a wheat field with  (I think!) so was tempted to do a Theresa May!  We both walked along trodden paths among the poppies and it was very surreal.

66DDE8DB-5A35-4815-A630-046998131861.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks for the report and super photos Brigitte, it's a while since we were last there so nice to see it again.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Colin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

Thanks for the report and super photos Brigitte, it's a while since we were last there so nice to see it again.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Colin

Thanks, Colin.   I should have added above, that even though the cliffs are fenced off, there are quite a few holes in the ground besides the bomb craters.  Not dents in the earth like those but actual holes in the surface ground to the tunnels below, and some not much bigger than a shoe.  One has to be extra careful where one is walking.  Several of these holes I came across and nearly slipped into one while taking pictures, those need extra vigilance walking around.