The Ferry Man

Normandie Express - 16/9/19

Nice trip over to Cherbourg for the day despite the Weather on the crossing. A lot of expensive looking cars inboard now for the return crossing, looks to be from Le Mans. Interestingly a coach has also boarded! Never new NEx carried coaches. Looks to be a very busy crossing.

IMG_20190616_164413.jpg

• Like 1

On 16/06/2019 at 16:48, The Ferry Man said:

Never new NEx carried coaches.

I've never seen anything bigger than a mini-bus or Luton-van on board. However there is no reason why they couldn't fit one (or perhaps even two) coach(es) into the central parking area. I suspect they let the passengers off first though. Did you walk on over the ramp or use a high-level gangway? NEX normally has access to the berth next to the old cruise terminal building and there are stairs and a lift up to the gangway. Ed. 

11 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I've never seen anything bigger than a mini-bus or Luton-van on board. However there is no reason why they couldn't fit one (or perhaps even two) coach(es) into the central parking area. I suspect they let the passengers off first though. Did you walk on over the ramp or use a high-level gangway? NEX normally has access to the berth next to the old cruise terminal building and there are stairs and a lift up to the gangway. Ed. 

There was a tannoy announcement arriving at Portsmouth that the coach pax would disembark as foot pax and then collect the coach sometime afterwards. I assume this was both ways as would explain the somewhat unusally large amount of footies boarding at Cherbourg. (About three bus loads, so would equal a coach I would guess). No gangways onto NEx, everything was over the stern ramp.

• Thanks 1

She can carry double deck coaches if required and certainly has done. The first Incat to be able to carry coaches was the 86m design (Condor Express type) which is why the aft lounge was higher than the rest of the main passenger deck.

• Thanks 2